U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,052,830 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
In December this year I plan to look for work in New York, and for now I'm trying to get a ballpark figure of my budget so that I know how much I'll need when I move. When I moved to OKC I used U-Pack for a 1,000+ mile move and it was only $900-something. They dropped a pod off at my apartment and delivered it to the local hub where I picked it up. However, this time around I can get my stuff to the pod at the hub but won't have a car when I move. Furthermore, I'm not comfortable with driving a large vehicle in New York, which rules out Penske, U-Haul, etc. I would probably hire local movers to pick it up and deliver it in town.

I want to cut expenses as much as possible and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for moving my stuff long distance in an affordable way. If it helps, all of my belongings fit into an 8' x 7' x 6' pod and I haven't acquired that much extra since moving here. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 AM

23,798 posts, read 36,377,346 times
Driving in NYC is not the incessant nightmare glorified in TV and movies. If you really want to cut expenses utilize a U-Haul, Budget or Penske 14' truck which is quite manageable and plan to arrive on a Sunday if traffic worries you. Sundays and even Saturdays to a lesser degree are much quieter traffic-wise in NYC.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM

6,641 posts, read 11,022,026 times
Would you be OK with renting a pickup truck or cargo van in NYC, and doing the NYC hub pickup yourself ??

Old 01-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,052,830 times
Thank you both for the responses. I should mention that in all likelihood I'll pack up and ensure my things are ready to go, then fly there. My father lives here and has a truck, and would more than likely meet me up there so he could at least get my dog to New York as he is too big to go in the cabin, and is brachycephalic, so flying cargo would be incredibly risky. I'm going there to scout neighborhoods this summer, so I'll be sure to pay extra close attention to road traffic that weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues