Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 AM

86 posts, read 307,923 times

Advertisements

Heres the deal. My husband and I along with 4 kids. Two preteen and 2 little ones are thinking of moving from Nebraska. We have checked out many places and just cant decide. My husband has always wanted to live in the mountains. I never thought I would leave my small home town. Now I really want to move but I am scared. What if it is a mistake. My husband said we will come back if thats what I want, so I say what the heck. We like the small town feel but close to a bigger city. We need good schools pre-k through 12th. We want a nice scenery(not corn fields). The schools should be good acedemically and have all the sports to offer since my kids love their sports. They also play stuff outside of school like hockey, dance, gymnastics, martial arts etc. We like going hiking, rock climbing, fishing, sledding, skiing(snow and water), and anything else outdoors. We like going to places like the ymca or places like that. We like going to concerts and sporting events. We would like a place where there is communitie events often with a tight community. We like down to earth people. So a nice town wher you know many people but their not always in every bit of your business. We like smaller schools where the kids know all the kids they gratuate with. We do like the four seasons at least to a point. I do like North Carolina but I wonder if it gets enough snow and about the humidity. One thing we hate about Neb. is the humidity. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 AM

One of the perks about N.C. is not being to far from the beach. I also have rats and mice. I am sure they are everywhere but I want to be away from rats expecially. I am interest in weather, insects, animals and any other info

Last edited by apej6; 11-28-2007 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 120,750 times
Sounds like Colorado could be a possibility. In NC, I'd check out Western Carolina, many small towns within 60 miles of Asheville. I have a friend who is a dean at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee. W. Carolina has tons of mountains, next to Blueridge Parkway, rivers for fishing, rafting, many outdoor activities. It's high enough that it doesn't get the humidity and the snow is usually just enough to remind you there are four seasons. Also, you can drive to Atlanta in about 4 hours. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM

788 posts, read 4,074,922 times
Check out Colorado (I am thinking smaller towns not too far from Denver, like Golden). Perhaps one of the Great Lakes States might work too.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Colorado was our first choice and is still one of the top 2 but it just seems so expensive. We are not rich and I dont want to come back for that reason if we find out we cant afford it. Are all places in Colorado expensive. We pay 1000.00 for rent her and I would like to stay close to that. North Carolin or Oregon seem nice but I dont want to suffer from hurricanes or earth quakes. Can a person avoid them in those states?

Old 11-28-2007, 04:14 PM

How is it in colorado or N.C for allergies?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM

402 posts, read 2,214,497 times
I just moved from NC...very humid. Everyone complained of lots of allergies (I don't have any!!)

We moved to State College, PA..and LOVE it. Because of Penn State, we have all the benefits of the college (good schools, good trail system, educated population), but a small town (40K). However, cost of living here is on the rise, but not as bad as CO, not nearly as bad as CA. Especially too, if you didn't have to live close to campus, you could find something you could afford..

We also in the mountains, just not really tall ones. I often go hiking in the mountains after work, before I pick the kids up.

If this area didn't appeal to you, an area like it (college the middle of nowhere). Good luck!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,012,496 times
There are two websites that give you lists of best places based on your answers to a questionnaire.

One is Sperling's.

Another is something like Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

(what is it again? someone must know).

The first seems a little bit more serious than the second, which is often just a fun thing people like to do to see their ideal match.

You may look at the results and say "what! this isn't right at all!". Anyhow, it can be a good exercise to see what comes up.

I would also consider university towns. These can be small but still have all of the culture, activities, and amenities.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,012,496 times
One more site, especially since you have kids ... Reader's Digest made a list of best places to raise children a few years ago. I found it through this link to one of the cities it featured, but this will have the full list:

Lynchburg Reader's Digest award, rating, Amherst, Altavista, Bedford, Appomattox, Wintergreen, Smith Mountain Lake, Real Estate amherst, altavista, bedford, appomattox, wintergreen, smith mountain lake real estate

Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 AM

Thank you goldenmom7500 I checked out that site by readers digest. Funny none of them were in Nebraska. HaHa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues