Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times

Advertisements

A queen set is often only $10 more than a full set; the queen size is 60x80, the full is 54x75, and you will appreciate that extra 5" under your feet or above your pillow. You won't notice the extra 6" of width when sleeping alone. Get the queen size.

Also, you might not need any box spring if you have a platform bed instead of a simple frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 AM

162 posts, read 153,763 times
Do these box springs come with the beds or do I need to purchase that separately? I'm about to see if I can go to Home Depot in a few hours to get some nice light colored paint because I cannot stand white.

Does Macy's sell good beds? They currently have a 20-50% off home sale online so I'm debating whether or not I can make a decent purchase without buyer's remorse, or if I should just wait. My sister is saying to not rush to make the big purchases (bed, desk, etc) even though I'm excited.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:52 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Do these box springs come with the beds or do I need to purchase that separately? I'm about to see if I can go to Home Depot in a few hours to get some nice light colored paint because I cannot stand white.

Does Macy's sell good beds? They currently have a 20-50% off home sale online so I'm debating whether or not I can make a decent purchase without buyer's remorse, or if I should just wait. My sister is saying to not rush to make these purchases even though I'm excited.
Unless you have a platform bed, you will need to buy a mattress "set" - the mattress and the box spring + a metal frame on which to put the set. If you need a split box spring you may have to buy them separately. This is easy to do with independent mattress stores, place like Macy's maybe not.

I agree with your sister - take your time and be sure you get the right set. Once your buy a mattress - you can not return it - so be sure you buy the right size to fit your location.

Mary2014

Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM

162 posts, read 153,763 times
Okay, made the trip to Macy's today and their mattress sets were more expensive than I thought.
Has anyone purchased a bed from Sleepy's or Ikea? I'm going to both of those places this weekend to see if I can get something decent for a couple hundred dollars

Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I bought a flat screen tv through Amazon and the guy who delivered it not only brought it into my house but took it out of the box and made sure that it worked (ie, powered up).
Huh? Did you pay extra for that service? When Amazon shipped two different Flat screen T.V.'s to me, the UPS guy just left them at my door step. Both times I was home, opened the door and the UPS guy pointed to the T.V. box left on the side and ran to his big brown vehicle which he then drove away.

To the OP, you can also check out local resale shops for things that you might not want to pay a lot for but need, unless you must have absolutely new.

Last edited by Tantamount; 02-03-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
Okay, made the trip to Macy's today and their mattress sets were more expensive than I thought.
Has anyone purchased a bed from Sleepy's or Ikea? I'm going to both of those places this weekend to see if I can get something decent for a couple hundred dollars
Beds are expensive and I don't think you will find a decent bed for a couple hundred. I would check Big Lots. I think they carry Serta brand which is ok and would be somewhat affordable.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 PM

47 posts, read 91,528 times
Do you have Anna's Linens in your area? I bought a lot of things for my room and kitchen (decor, dishes, lamps, bedspread, etc). Its cheap and they have nice things!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
OP, the posters and replies here have given you some great suggestions and advice.
As for the beds, there are stores that sell mattresses and box springs which are made in the area.
We bought beds from those type of stores that are just as good as the names brands like Serta.
Some of them will throw in the frame too.
As for furniture, if you are on a budget search Craigs list (but be cautious and inspect the item).
Macy's often has couches for sale too (great if you can get a coupon in conjunction with a sale item).
I live in a university town and when students move out, many leave furniture behind or try to sell
it. I've seen expensive items thrown away.
Found these type of blue bulbs (link below) and Amazon also sells them.
Good luck and enjoy your new place.

Blue 25 Watt Party Light Bulb - #78294 | LampsPlus.com

Old 02-12-2014, 04:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
The Costco mattress in a box is a memory foam box that rates very comparable to,the $2500 Temperpedic Matress, about $650. Price doesn't always equal quality. A queen bed is just more comfortable than a full.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
I agree with with those that say to get a queen bed, especially for two people.

As long as you have the room, get a queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues