Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,000,036 times

Advertisements

For those that have used a moving company that does all the packing and unpacking. if i start packing now (pictures, decorations, etc.) does this cut down on the movers price? This service is part of hubby's relo package (he basically gets a lump sum to use towards relocating). I want to stretch the lump sum as far as I can and am hoping that by me doing some of the packing it will reduce the movers price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM

27 posts, read 164,244 times
I don't know if your packing will save $$$, but I do remember being told that anything we pack for them to ship would not be covered/insured. In other words, if something breaks, and you packed it (as opposed to the moving company), you won't be able to file a claim.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM

415 posts, read 2,327,959 times
Speaking as a person in the moving business, yes you will save money by doing your own packing averages. $12.00 per carton you pack.
As for the coverage for damage, any carton you pack is a shared responsibility. If the box arrives in tact with no visible damage and something is broken inside it will be on you for not packing properly. If the box arrives with visible damage, then the driver can be held liable. You will want to open, inspect and note any broken items on the inventory forms.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

thank you to the two of you. I'd like to start packing up my decorative but inexpensive things around the house before it's on the market. my most sentimental and my few expensive pieces will be with me when we move not on a moving truck.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 AM

875 posts, read 1,082,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
For those that have used a moving company that does all the packing and unpacking. if i start packing now (pictures, decorations, etc.) does this cut down on the movers price? This service is part of hubby's relo package (he basically gets a lump sum to use towards relocating). I want to stretch the lump sum as far as I can and am hoping that by me doing some of the packing it will reduce the movers price.
Yes it cuts down on the price a lot. I moved from Oregon to Texas last March, and used Mayflower. The charge to pack my things was $25 per hour, plus materials. Thankfully, I didn't have a whole lot to pack.....lol

Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Yes it cuts down on the price a lot. I moved from Oregon to Texas last March, and used Mayflower. The charge to pack my things was $25 per hour, plus materials. Thankfully, I didn't have a whole lot to pack.....lol
$25/hour plus materials OMG. I'll definitely be doing some (a lot) of packing.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Speaking as a person in the moving business, yes you will save money by doing your own packing averages. $12.00 per carton you pack.
As for the coverage for damage, any carton you pack is a shared responsibility. If the box arrives in tact with no visible damage and something is broken inside it will be on you for not packing properly. If the box arrives with visible damage, then the driver can be held liable. You will want to open, inspect and note any broken items on the inventory forms.
jkwing if i took apart the beds but left them for the movers to put them on the truck will that be covered by the movers or is that considered a shared responsibility?

Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,189,934 times
As someone who has moved both ways, I would spend the extra money for them to pack. Our last move to Texas we had to save money and I packed up our entire house, 3 bedrooms. I was so exhausted before the moving truck even got there. (Side note, only lost 1 vase) If you are going to do it yourself, go to a uhaul place and buy your own supplies like packing paper or the dish boxes. That really helps. The paper is precut in boxes and it is oversized. It was great to wrap your dishes really well. If you are going to get your own boxes, ask at the grocery stores, Fruit boxes come in two pieces are very sturdy as well as the boxes that eggs come in. They are a thicker box. The store will put aside as many as you need as long as you pick them up the same day. Good luck to you. I am cringing just thinking about you having to do it all yourself.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
As someone who has moved both ways, I would spend the extra money for them to pack. Our last move to Texas we had to save money and I packed up our entire house, 3 bedrooms. I was so exhausted before the moving truck even got there. (Side note, only lost 1 vase) If you are going to do it yourself, go to a uhaul place and buy your own supplies like packing paper or the dish boxes. That really helps. The paper is precut in boxes and it is oversized. It was great to wrap your dishes really well. If you are going to get your own boxes, ask at the grocery stores, Fruit boxes come in two pieces are very sturdy as well as the boxes that eggs come in. They are a thicker box. The store will put aside as many as you need as long as you pick them up the same day. Good luck to you. I am cringing just thinking about you having to do it all yourself.
I'm most certainly not going to do it all but just enough to depersonalize the house. hubby's relocating the first week in january and i'm staying behind until the house sells so packing will give me something to do. thanks for the tip on packing and moving boxes.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

781 posts, read 3,806,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I'm most certainly not going to do it all but just enough to depersonalize the house. hubby's relocating the first week in january and i'm staying behind until the house sells so packing will give me something to do. thanks for the tip on packing and moving boxes.
If you are going to be driving this is what I did......I packed anything that could be broken and was irreplaceable and put it in my trunk. Things that can be replaced are not a big deal but some things, like an antique Lladro, can never be replaced no matter how much insurance you have from the movers.

Also, our moving company, no name provided...lol, did all our packing and when we got situated 1500 miles later all the kids XBox and Play Station games were gone......bummer for the kids

Keep track of everything the best you can.....we had 4 packers for 2 days and unfortunately I did not watch them as well as I should have. But, I did keep all my irreplaceable, fragile items safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues