Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 AM

86 posts, read 124,304 times

Advertisements

Hi Im currently in my last semester of college. My dream is to get a job in a big city and move there but everyone ive mentioned this to tells me its very hard to do that. It seems to me that the time after college is perfect for relocation because college grads leave thier campus after graduation and move anyway. I want to hear from any of you out thier that moved to a big city after college graduation. What i want to know is,
1 where did you move ?

2 what was your overall expirience ? Was it difficult ?

3 what advice would you give someone based on your expirience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 09:32 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
With this economy, you may have to stay or go based on where you're hired, and if you don't get a job at all, you may be moving in with relatives for awhile.

Best advice I have is know the true costs of living before you go anywhere. Also understand that a 60K salary in CA might sound like a fortune if you are in a small town in IL, but it's all relative. $2,500 rents are common there, as well.

I greatly dislike huge cities, so I can't help you there. At this time in my life, Des Moines is plenty large enough.

Good luck with your finals and job hunting!

Old 02-06-2014, 11:53 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,789,073 times
If your school hosts job fairs you may want to attend now so that you can start to get in contact with potential employers. You can also start sending out your resume with potential employers in the cities that you are interested in moving to and make sure that you put down your anticipated graduation date so that it shows that you are coming to a transition period so that some of the things that prevent people from moving wouldn't really apply to you. Get in contact with your school's alumni association in the cities that you're interested in moving to and begin making contacts. If there is a professional association for the career you are interested in, join now because they usually give a discount to students and if they have a conference try to attend to for networking and possible onsite job interviews.

Though it may be difficult it is not impossible to find employment in another state, you just have to be patient and realistic. You are going to be potentially competing against thousands of new graduates not to mention those who are unemployed and experienced.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
Hi Im currently in my last semester of college. My dream is to get a job in a big city and move there but everyone ive mentioned this to tells me its very hard to do that. It seems to me that the time after college is perfect for relocation because college grads leave thier campus after graduation and move anyway. I want to hear from any of you out thier that moved to a big city after college graduation. What i want to know is,
1 where did you move ?

1. Los Angeles from Flyover country.

2. It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Get a spell check, haha.

Big cities have tons of opportunities to do whatever you want, be you social or antisocial. Pick a place that suits your interests/hobbies. If you love snowboarding, go to a city near the mountains, if you love surfing pick one on the coast. Keep a hobby, sport, or interest so your non-work life doesn't become a string of parties, bars, clubs, and social events. Or volunteer your time at some charity if your a Pope Francis type.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
1 where did you move ?

Moving might be difficult if you are nervous about leaving family and friends and it may be difficult to move and adjust to the new culture, but other than that moving is only as hard as you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues