Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM

120 posts, read 175,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's true that Denver's Asian demographic is nowhere near that of the Bay Area (which probably would be too expensive for the OP's budget as stated above) but there's a fairly strong Asian community.

Denver's Asian Ambiance

I lived in Denver for years and like the OP, I'm a cold-weather lover. Denver's summers can be hot, but very dry and the winters are sunny and milder overall than SE Michigan (where I live currently.) I didn't mind the summers there at all.

Just thought I'd throw Denver out as an idea to look into. Seattle and that entire region may well be a great fit too, depending on real estate costs.
Denver is definitely a good suggestion. I've never visited Denver, so I don't know much about the city. It just feels sort of "remote"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM

120 posts, read 175,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
Definitely Seattle!

There are totally places in your price range there, you just have to know what neighborhoods to look into. In fact, I'd take your query over to the Seattle forum. They'll be happy to help you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Denver is in the 90's in the summers. I don't know if that's too hot for the OP or not. Seattle might be a better fit, if he doesn't mind a lot of overcast weather, rain, drizzle. The winters are relatively mild, though, and there are definitely Asians around. But I don't know if he could get a condo for his price point. Maybe outside the city somewhere. OP could also consider Olympia, WA, for better affordability.
Great suggestions. In fact, when I talk about this with my friends, Seattle receives the most enthusiasm. Tacoma is only 40 min away from Seattle, and even closer to the airport, perhaps it has more affordable neighborhoods there? I will ask the Seattle forum for sure.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:05 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,338 times
You might consider Renton, WA, bordering Seattle on the southeast side. Renton is increasingly becoming the go-to suburb for middle class Asians priced out of Seattle and Bellevue. The population is now about 25% Asian and there are large Asian grocery stores, Great Wall Mall (on the Kent/Renton border) and countless Chinese restaurants and a multitude of other services for the Chinese community: doctors, realtors, accountants, travel agents, barbers etc.
For 200K you can get a nice condo or a not so great house, for $250K you get a pretty nice house with garage, yard etc.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's true that Denver's Asian demographic is nowhere near that of the Bay Area (which probably would be too expensive for the OP's budget as stated above) but there's a fairly strong Asian community.

Denver's Asian Ambiance

I lived in Denver for years and like the OP, I'm a cold-weather lover. Denver's summers can be hot, but very dry and the winters are sunny and milder overall than SE Michigan (where I live currently.) I didn't mind the summers there at all.

Just thought I'd throw Denver out as an idea to look into. Seattle and that entire region may well be a great fit too, depending on real estate costs.

I lived in Denver too for 25 years. The problem I see is that the OP prefers 60 - 70 degree weather, and specifically mentioned that he doesn't want 90 degree days. That eliminates Denver's summers IMHO. 90 degrees is the average high temperature for most of July and August in Denver.

The more I think about it, Seattle would be his best bet. Portland might also work for him. But there isn't much of an Asian community there either.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
I do love the Bay Area, but I am afraid no housing there is "affordable" by my standard...
Yes, I lived there for about 18 years and it's no longer even remotely affordable. San Diego is better, and you might be able to find a very small condo in your price range. I live near Seattle and $200K is going to make it tough to find a condo in a decent neighborhood.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM

313 posts, read 496,989 times
I second the SF/Bay Area! Look at the peninsula: Daly City, Foster City, Menlo Park, San Bruno, San Carlos, San Mateo, South San Francisco and also Berkeley, CA and Oakland, CA. Definitely look in San Francisco proper too, I just hear things are quite expensive there. HUGE Chinese communities in all of these areas, especially in comparison to the rest of the country.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Houston would indeed be perfect for you if it weren't for the steamy summers; tons of Californians of all races have been flocking there for over two decades since Houston never endured the housing crash that walloped this state.

Demographer Joel Kotkin pointed out recently in the Orange County Register that Houston is teeming with good paying jobs in law, business, IT and medicine, and that grads of all ethnicities and especially Asians who graduate from any top-notch university (Cal, Stanford, CalTech, UCLA or USC out here) are indeed leaving Calif. in droves for Houston, which will very likely pass Chicago in population within 20 years.

'Temperate climate' is pretty tough to be able to avoid in the eastern 60% of the country during the late spring and all of summer, as well as Sept. & October.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times
If it's too hot in the summer, just try to stay indoors as much as possible. The same applies to the winter.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Try Edmonds, WA, just north of Seattle. Very scenic, more affordable condos, Asians.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
If he wanted to stay indoors all day, temperature would be the least of his concerns.

I lived in Houston for most of my life. Houston only gets about 3-4 months of 60-70 degrees from November-February. He gets a month of Spring in March and then it jumps straight to 80+ degrees in April through October. There goes his 60-70 degree weather. The cooler September and October weather is spent indoors, because the cool weather is accompanied by flooding and rain.

If he loved the summer heat, I would encourage him to choose Houston over the other cities. In Houston, he'll be sweating in April/May and September/October, wondering where the 60-70 degree temps are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues