Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM

38 posts, read 423,363 times

Advertisements

I am in need of some boxes for moving, such as electronics and mattresses.

I can get plenty of regular boxes from where I work, so, regular boxes are not a problem. I am looking for bigger boxes for items such as TV's and for my mattresses.

I was wondering if I could go to places like Best Buy and tell them the size TV I have and they would give me an old box they werent using. Same deal for a furniture store. I would think they would have a lot of mattress boxes or bags.

Any Ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,772,678 times
I'm pretty sure they break down those big boxes after they use them. You might try Walmart. I talked to customer service and they put all the boxes I needed to the side for me one night. When I moved my 43" flat screen tv, I wrapped it in bubble wrap.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,124,217 times
Hit up your local grocery and liquor stores. I got a buttload of boxes from my grocery.

There's also craigslist and freecycle. Freecyclers tend to give away more boxes than craigslist users.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
Search Craiglslist -- people always post free boxes to get rid of after a move and they leave them on the curb.... first come first served.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 11,838 times
They do have flat screen TV moving boxes that you can buy if you aren't able to find anything for free to use. Otherwise, I would say liquor stores and retail stores are the best places to get free boxes. Retail stores have recycling dumpsters out back with nothing but boxes.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM

11,012 posts, read 17,385,947 times
I used to get refrigerator boxes for free and take them home for tunnels for my sons in the back yard. I bet if you get one or two of those they might help. The top and bottom both come off but that could be to your advantage. Save both ends, cut the box to the length you need, load it up, and here you might be able to use the styrofoam squares that are in there for packing, then put the ends on and tape it. Or you may want to check Walmart or an office supply and get the straps to strap around both ends to hold it. A plastic version of the steel straps that are on the ends when you get them.
I just read your post again and I don't think a TV or mattress would fit in this. Unless you got a couple of these boxes, tore them down the side, and wrapped around the mattresses.
Have you considered an old blanket or bedspread for the TV? Works wonders!
Good luck with the move.

And jzig20 a kind of funny note on the liquor store boxes. That's where we got most of our moving boxes. Best time to get them from the liquor stores? Monday morning, right after the weekend! lol

Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM

7,467 posts, read 13,462,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0105 View Post
I am in need of some boxes for moving, such as electronics and mattresses.

I can get plenty of regular boxes from where I work, so, regular boxes are not a problem. I am looking for bigger boxes for items such as TV's and for my mattresses.

I was wondering if I could go to places like Best Buy and tell them the size TV I have and they would give me an old box they werent using. Same deal for a furniture store. I would think they would have a lot of mattress boxes or bags.

Any Ideas?

Check with car dealers parts dept and/or body shops that deal in high end foreign cars (Volvo, Jaguar, etc). They get new hoods, doors, fenders, windshields etc delivered in large cartons all the time. And they usually have to pay to have them hauled away

Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM

200 posts, read 480,336 times
Even if the big box stores recycle them, which they do, I don't see why you couldn't call, ask them if it's possible to have a few and if so, ask what time would be best to show up. Actually, I'm not sure why you didn't do that before posting.

You could also try bike shops, though I don't think mattresses would fit the width of those.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,508,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0105 View Post

I've never seen a box for a mattress. You can buy the mattress bags at Lowe's, Home Depot, or UHaul (Uhaul.com also) for really cheap. Many of the bags that the mattresses come in from the trucks are ripped. For 5 bucks I'd buy a new one that doesn't have rips or gunk on it.

I didn't risk using used boxes for my flat screen tvs. There are kits you can purchase. There are boxes you can also purchase and then you anti-static bubble wrap. Use lots! Bubble wrap is cheaper than a new tv!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,748,113 times
We're moving across the country using a "upack" service, so space is at a premium. One thing to consider is a wholesale packaging supply house if you have one locally. We're buying 100 16" x 14" boxes and 2 giant rolls of bubble wrap for less than $100. It is going to be so much easier to load the truck when everything is uniformally shaped. Just build a wall like bricks instead of having boxes of all different sizes. Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues