Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM

109 posts, read 229,575 times

Advertisements

I'm an elementary teacher in my early 40's toying around with the idea of broadening my horizons and deciding where to settle down. In this day and age of school districts cutting budgets and laying off teachers because of lower budgets and possibly declining enrollment, it's not the best time to be a teacher. Having said that, I love what I do and I can't imagine doing anything different. I live in an "old" state, and there aren't as many young families having children here.

If my husband and I (no kids) were going to relocate, it would need to be to an area where I'd have job security. Does such a place exist? I wouldn't want to relocate to a different region only to go through what so many teachers here have gone through. We're from New England, and we've lived in NC before. My husband works from home, so him needing to find a new job isn't an issue.

Sell your state/region to me, please! Where is a good place for elementary teachers to teach? What areas are seeing growth in school districts? Thank you for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:13 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Denton/Collin counties in the DFW area are growing exponentially. Denton ISD is opening 5 new schools, with other districts growing as well. Pay is less than NE but living costs is far less as well.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:39 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Ankeny, IA, a growing town just north of Des Moines.

Education gets funded fairly well in this state. You may decide Ankeny itself is too pricey but there are more affordable areas nearby.

I won't lie: the winters aren't typically "mild," so I won't even try to sell you on winter sports. But education is respected here and you won't be spending a portion of your paycheck buying supplies for your less affluent students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues