Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 03:43 PM

676 posts, read 935,960 times

Advertisements

Can you guys tell me how LITTLE "stuff" you moved out of state with ?? I have a big Dodge 1500 Ram Hemi with a huge truck bed with a cap on it. Pretend you are moving with that and you are too old to lift and tug at heavy things now. Can you make a list for me (I am a list maker). I thought this would be a good different topic. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,255 times
1-smartphone
2-Starbucks gift card
3-socks & underwear
4-toothbrush
5-that's enough.

Just kidding, I'm a day and a half into loading a 16' Penske truck and I'm old and tired.
I wish I could throw more away.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 AM

676 posts, read 935,960 times
Why can't you throw more away. You don't want to kill yourself before you get to where you are going ???

Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
When I was very young and would go back and forth from coast to coast I would make it a point not to buy anything that couldn't go into a suit case. Today it's called minimalism. I am no where near that today. It's hard to decide what to sell, give away or keep. I guess why I'm stuck here. :O)

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Documents/files
Mementos/paintings/pictures
Kitchen basics such as spices/cleaners
Dishes/pans/cutlery
Linnens/towels/pillows/blankets
Rugs
Lamps
Electronics/radio/stereo
Vacuum/coffee pot
Books
Clothes

Toiletries
Change of clothes
First aid kit plus prescribed medications
Paper towels
Blanket/towel
Snacks/water

Old 02-27-2014, 12:36 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I haven't actually DONE this but have daydreamed about super-minimalistic moving. Here is what I think I would take:

Suitcases with clothes, toiletries, two extra pairs of shoes; purse with wallet and contents
laptop computer, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, etc
important files and papers
Nostalgia items (first picture my daughter drew, her report cards, diplomas and awards I earned, and so on)
a few paintings and sculptures that I have and need/love/appreciate
inflatable bed and pump for it; bedding, towels
one collapsible webbed lawn chair
one lamp, one clock
Two each of these: knives, forks, spoons, plates, mugs, bowls. One saucepan, skillet, spatula, big serving spoon.
Coffee maker, microwave, rice cooker
video game consoles
my smallest (18") television
And most importantly.... lots of money to replace everything I couldn't take!

Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
Essential documents/files
Mementos/paintings/pictures
Dishes & cutlery (4 place settings)
coffeepot if you drink coffee
2 drinking glasses, 2 mugs for coffee/tea/etc.
1 big pot, 1 small pot, 1 frying pan
Can opener and bottle opener and pocket knife!!!
pack of lightbulbs
flashlight, couple of candles and lighter or matches
1 towel & washcloth
2 pillows that you know are comfortable
1 down comforter
1 blanket
1 set sheets
Electronics you're VERY attached to and can't easily replace
Basic toiletries - don't forget toothbrush & brush/comb.
First aid kit plus prescribed medications
All your clothes for a season (after a weed for giveaway/trash)
Jug of water
2 folding chairs (I like the canvas kind that accordian up into a tube)
1 folding banquet table (these are great because they fold in half then flat. Easy to carry)
1 folding card or patio table.
1 mattress - the biggest you can stuff in your truck
A few cans of tuna or other canned or dried food that you can eat without heating.
1 bag of comfort stuff for when you get there - books/junk food/music - whatever makes you happy.
If you have pets: pet carrier(s), pet dishes, leashes & start up food. Pet(s)! (People who leave their pets behind when they move are scummy rotten stinking trash.)

I've done this several times, as I often have worked in another state 6 mo. seasonally, so I leave most of my stuff in my home.

It's surprisingly easy to live with very little.

You know the most important thing? Make sure you'll have a comfortable mattress and pillows and the comforter, sheets and blankets that make you comfortable. If you can't sleep well you can't function well.

If I can cram a full size mattress into the back of a Dodge Caravan you should be able to cram one into your vehicle too! (And I AM too old to lift and tug at most things).

Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM

251 posts, read 341,087 times
i dream of being able to move anywhere with nothing more than a duffel bag. Its simply incredible the amount of useless stuff my wife and i have accumulated over the years. In my early twenties i moved to a different continent with just one suitcase.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM

634 posts, read 896,684 times
I am now down to two backpacks and by the time I arrive in Arizona in August I will have only one, going from one extreme climate to another means a new wardrobe, so I timed it right.

I'm a minimalist and paperless, with only a few exceptions, all important documents and pictures are on disk.

My lone backpack contents:

Toiletries
Cell/Itouch/Chargers
Medicine
Sun/Reading Glasses
Socks and Undergarments
One spare outfit
Pocket folder for a few documents

Will be replacing my dated laptop after the move, another thing I timed right.

And I couldn't be happier, so it can be done OP.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
When I moved to CA from MI I had my car shipped and I flew there but I just took belongings that could fit in my trunk and back seat or a mid sized car. So basically it was clothes and similar items. Then when I got to CA and rented a place I bought very inexpensive furniture to fill an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues