Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I used to be that way. After living in one place for a few years, the newness wore off and I would start getting itchy feet and I knew it was time to move on. I used to say that I had gypsy in my blood. But then something really amazing happened, I wasn't getting itchy feet anymore. The newness didn't wear off. And I finally realized that I FINALLY FOUND MY HOME!!!! It took me over 30 years but now I have no desire to live any place else.

I think all of you are just looking for your TRUE home that you just haven't found yet. And my advice is to keep looking. Once you find it, you will know. And you will never want to leave it once you find it.

Cat
Great thread (yes I know it's kinda old).

This particular post really resonated with me though. I wonder if there really is a place 'for me' out there. I sure would love to be able to move around enough to find out.

I landed a job earlier this year that is been wanting for several years, so now I feel conflicted on the decision to move again when I have this 'good job'. But I sure am anxious to get away to another place. I've been tossing around the idea to request I work remotely one week a month or two weeks every other mo the so I could try other places out...but I'm deathly afraid to approach my employer with such a request. I think right now my best bet to living a life that allows me to move around more would be a job that doesn't tie me to one place.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
It makes a large portion of the C-D community feel the need to comment since you don't fit into their "perfect lifestyle".

Do you what you want - radical thought from a C-D poster, no??

Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I used to be that way. After living in one place for a few years, the newness wore off and I would start getting itchy feet and I knew it was time to move on. I used to say that I had gypsy in my blood. But then something really amazing happened, I wasn't getting itchy feet anymore. The newness didn't wear off. And I finally realized that I FINALLY FOUND MY HOME!!!! It took me over 30 years but now I have no desire to live any place else.

I think all of you are just looking for your TRUE home that you just haven't found yet. And my advice is to keep looking. Once you find it, you will know. And you will never want to leave it once you find it.

Cat
To Cat...I have also moved frequently as well, not necessarily due to "itchy feet" however, but changes in 'domestic' circumstances and/or jobs. Other than my childhood home I have never felt like I was ever "home"; I've had furnishings, clothes, jobs, personal transportation, comfortable urban/suburban environments. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz I just want to click my 'ruby slippers' and go home
...but I have to find it first. So thanks for the encouragement (maybe unbeknownst to you) that one can maybe find their 'forever home'; I hope so.

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Great thread (yes I know it's kinda old).

This particular post really resonated with me though. I wonder if there really is a place 'for me' out there. I sure would love to be able to move around enough to find out.

I landed a job earlier this year that is been wanting for several years, so now I feel conflicted on the decision to move again when I have this 'good job'. But I sure am anxious to get away to another place. I've been tossing around the idea to request I work remotely one week a month or two weeks every other mo the so I could try other places out...but I'm deathly afraid to approach my employer with such a request. I think right now my best bet to living a life that allows me to move around more would be a job that doesn't tie me to one place.
To southkakkatlantan...thanks for resurrecting this thread otherwise I would not have come upon it. Also, I want to say that it resonated with me as well and I have thought the same concerning "a place for me out there" and wondering if it really exists. I wish you the best and I hope you find a place for you.

Best regards,

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrittniex3 View Post
This is my life. I lived in Michigan for the first 22ish years of my life, lived in Louisiana for a year and a half, and I just moved to Nashville at the end of August. I have flexible and transferable jobs. I just feel like there's tons of the world out there and I would like to see it. I don't think it can be classified as a character flaw, really.
Sure sounds like an idea job and life.....
I am retired and sitting in one damn spot!! because the DW doesn't want to travel, move or downsize.
If the grass needs mowing it's time to move on. Enjoy it while you can and don't worry about the rest of the world. They don't know because they never leave the county they live in.....

Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,001 times
I agree with the original post. I am so happy to find another person LIKE ME. I went to a few colleges in different cites before graduating.

When I did graduate I moved to a big city in Georgia...Thought it was too rural and the people I came in contact with were backward thinking and the area turned me off overall.

I moved to the Washington DC area but the rents were too high... I don't like sharing a bathroom and kitchen so I don't look for roommates.. I now live in the midwest closer to my older parents. I don't like the city where I live 100% but the rent is much much cheaper and it will give me the opportunity to pay off bills.

I am already planning to move to another city before my goal of starting graduate school overseas in 2016 and giving myself time to continue to pay off debt.

It is always confusing to me when people say "You are so courageous for moving to xyz..... I feel like as long as I have a job and my religious support group which is located all over the USA I am fine.

I prefer urban areas with lots of activities and good public transit as I don't have a car right now,

Old 03-10-2015, 03:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
A friend of mine travels about 70% of the time. She says she needs to HEAR different languages and dialects and purposely travels to places she has never been and just settles in for awhile. She does have 'home base' with her house here but she can do most of her job from a computer, anywhere, and she takes advantage of that. It's not quite the same thing but she has the money to live that way and it keeps her from being bored.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconcerted View Post
I may have posted this wrongly in another section, and just got visually assaulted and battered by another member. I hope people aren't like that around here. The whole, "you won't be happy anywhere, just kill yourself" mentality

Anyhow...I don't see what's the issue. Basically, in a nutshell...I just find that after living in a city for awhile, usually after 1-2 years, things just stop working for me. I've never lived in NYC, or California though. The cities I live, are cities that in other states I hear people tell me, "ugh, I'd never move there. Too hot, too humid, too cold, too snowy, etc" So clearly there IS NO perfect city. But, it's nothing in particular I'm doing or not doing...but it almost seems that it just naturally happens after awhile. I'll admit I'm in the under 30s category, single and no kids. I spent the 1st 20 years of my life living in one state. I didn't have this 'urge' to leave because that's all I knew. Any talks of moving were frightening to me. When my X would talk to me about moving, I could never see myself leaving my home state.

Now some 10 years later, I finally understood everything my X was going thru at the time...and I feel so bad for making it seem like HE had an issue. He eventually moved on, and we've long lost contact.

When I say things 'stop working', it's everything from motivation to meeting people to work-related. I don't want to go into the long details of exactly what it is, but it's hard to explain. It's just the fact of there seems to eventually end up being the same old people, same old options, same old bars (and Lord, I'm so sick of the 2 or 3 bars my friends attend faithfully EVERY SINGLE WEEK), same everything. It's like dude, how do you not get tired of this same routine every week? I'm only sane because I travel as often as I can...but coming home afterwards, I just get frustrated all over again after a few days.

Is there anyone who have jobs/lifestyles that allow them to make these type of transitions? Also, why do people associate wanting to relocate often as some sort of character flaw?
I can relate, and if you wanna get "philosophical" about it, it seems more like if we're paying attention, 'fate' is simply telling us that it's time to "move on", usually to whatever is the appropriate next stage in our "journey'. Although 2 years may not aways be enough time to give some places a proper "chance" despite the initial difficulties. And after a succession of major moves and repeatedly 'starting over', sometimes it's surprising which places actually "take', at least for a reasonable length of time!

Old 03-12-2015, 06:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
As long as one has the education and career skill that would allow for quick mobility, then go for it by all means.
I'm still wanting to eventually up and get out, but I find the money for the type of work I'm doing right now tends to take a dip in various areas.

Then of course there's getting educated in one of those "high mobility" fields.
But then again that would typically require me to put up with living in a certain area until I get the education completed seeing how spotty my academic record is.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:46 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Nothing at all wrong with it - go for it, go for you dreams!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 34,201 times
I like your post. I have also been moving to different cities every two years or so. Its very expensive, but as a millennial ,its important to live near others who are similar and also diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues