Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 44,047 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be renting a 26 ft Penske and using a car carrier to tow my Subaru. The Penske is rated for a load of 10,700 lbs. Just wondering how much that is diminished by towing a car? Would I just subtract the weight of the car from 10,700 to come up with how much I can load in the truck?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
Depends on what you're moving. The 26' Penske has 1400 cu ft. of loadable space. Most used household goods weigh, on average, 6.2 lbs per cubic foot.

Most DIY movers, however, only load a rental truck using 5.5 lbs. per cubic foot. At that density rate, you would only load 7,700 lbs into the 1400 cu.ft, leaving a 3000 lb deficit.

The length and weight of the vehicle are going to affect the handling, fuel mileage, and power of the rental truck more than the load capacity.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 44,047 times
Thanks Rikki that's handy information. My biggest concern is climbing Cabbage Pass Hill on I-84 outside of Pendleton Oregon. I'm going from Spokane down to Reno.Do you know if those trucks have a low gear for climbing long stretches? Thanks

Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 PM

I haven't been in a Penske or on Cabbage in years. Call Penske.

Again, the vehicle's performance is going to be affected by the size and weight of the load, type and size of engine (gas/diesel), type of transmission (auto/manual) and overall combined length of the truck and car being towed.

Weather will also play a significant factor during this time of year.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,364 times
Load capacity, or payload, is not the same as tow rating. The payload is determined by how much stress the suspension, frame, tires, axles and brakes can safely handle, while some of that palys a roll in towing it is not affected the same way as payload. The tow hitch bears a small amount of the (which is tranfered to the components mentioned above), usually 500 or 1,000lbs maximum, labeled on the hitch, and typically, the brakes of the trailer stop the trailer(when equipped and working as they should), so the brakes on the tow vehicle are stressed minimally. The tow dolly will probably not have brakes, but that is a question for the rental co.

Considering all of the above, the rental company should have numbers available for combined towing and payload, as well as maximum tow rating.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,588 times
Another tip- I try driving in middle of night/off times when towing up mountains for cooler temps and to reduce stress from other drivers.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM

843 posts, read 2,216,036 times
What you need is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. That's the maximum the vehicle is rated to handle payload and towing combined. Your trailer tongue weight will have to be subtracted from the cargo capacity of the truck, however as others have mentioned load distribution and weight on axles will depend on how your loaded.

I took a 17' rental truck with a flatbed hauling a '99 chevy s10.. loaded both the truck and the s10 it was all full. Traveled i70 from CA to OH, things got slow in the mountains.. slow lane and flashers.. follow the semi's worked.

Make sure to watch the trans, you don't want it shifting up/down too often (hunting). If there's an overdrive disable be familiar with that you may want to leave it off except in really flat or downhill.. or just leave OD off.

The truck should be able to make any grade with maximum load, it may be slow going and make sure to fuel up before you hit the grade... fuel mileage will drop into the single digits.

Just had some friends move from Spokane to Reno a few weeks ago, weird...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Great thread.

Oddly enough, we are also renting a Penske truck and towing a Subaru!

Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 24,019 times
I just thought I'd post here since I was looking for info about Penske trucks... specifically if all the 26ft are set up to tow (I need to tow a jetski and would rather tow it behind the Penske truck than my car my wife will be driving).

I know the steep grade in Oregon being referred to and would like to toss in my two cents... I just moved from Idaho to Mississippi in July '13 abs used a 26ft Penske loaded with 12,000lbs (yikes!) plus a car trailer with my Grand Prix on it... total weight was over 26,000lbs, but they never bothered me at weigh stations (waved through every time). I got about 6 mpg with this setup, but my wife drafted me with our diesel Jetta and saw an average of 58 mpg!

Anyway, my route took me from the Boise area to Salt Lake to Provo to Moab to Farmington... Lots of steep grades where the truck wouldn't go faster than 25mph! However, it never stopped chugging along and didn't seem to break a sweat. I did see two or three 26ft Uhauls with car trailers that were on the side of the road that only made it about 1/2 to 3/4 the way up the hill. If you didn't know, all Uhauls are gas while the big Penske and Budget trucks are diesel... made the difference.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:59 PM

As a professional mover, I wouldn't recommend anyone reading Big Daddy Kane's post about moving 26,000 lbs are part if an articulated load using a 26' Penske and a car trailer hauling a Grand Prix follow his advice.

Not only did he endanger both his wife and himself, but also every other motorist on the road during his 2200 trip.

According Penske's specs, the load capacity for that diesel truck is only 10,758 lbs. Big Daddy exceed that by almost two and half times the truck safety rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues