Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving items vs selling them off and buying new ones
Move 21 25.00%
Sell 44 52.38%
Don't know 19 22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation:

I might be moving soon, I have the option of moving my items in a upack from ABF, the total cost would be around 2k. I could either do this and spend my relo money on doing this, or I can sell off the items and use the relo money to purchase new items when I arrive to the new place.

Here is a list of the rough cost of the items and how much I could probably sell them for:

- Shikibed, cost = 350$, sell = 0-150$ (I actually have two of these setup on top of each other they are comfy)
- Leather couch purchased off craigslist = 500$ (real leather, real nice), sell = 300$
- Leather knock off ottoman and sofa chair, cost = 230$, sell = 150$
- 2 oak bar stools, cost off craiglist = 80$, sell = 50$
- custom made coffee table and 1 side table, sell = 600$
- Brand new front loader washer/dryer, cost = 1.3k, sell = 900$

Other items (clothes, etc, dishware I would donate). My car is tiny (2 seat sports car). I would take my valuables in it and that's what I would show up with. I would be able to pocket the relo money from the company and use the money earned selling things to purchase new items.

I live a pretty minimalistic lifestyle so it's not really a big concern for me. I do not own many items and I like it this way.

On the one side I can see just spending the money for the upack, save the time and hassle of purchasing new items and keep my setup the same way it is. Then again, I can see the side where unloading it all and rebooting would be a viable option as well, and I may make some money from it too.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,065 times
Its really based on your personal preference. I'm a bit more materialistic and would rather spend the money to move all the items to a new house/apartment. Plus, I wouldn't want to spend the time and energy to try and sell the stuff I have now. Do you have to move next week? Or can you wait? If you can wait and have time on your hands, take the time to sell, sell and sell. If you want to go now, bring it with you.
I think it depends on how much stuff you want. The more stuff you have, the cheaper it would be to bring it all with you rather than selling and buying everything new.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Sell what is not important, what you can replace easily. Keep what is important/necessary.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Sell what is not important, what you can replace easily. Keep what is important/necessary.
Agreed. I moved my stuff from the Midwest to the Southwest. It was delivered a week later and I ended up giving most of it (75%) to charity......what can I say, I'm a giver at heart.

My advice: sell what you have on craiglist and when you get to your destination buy on craiglist or thrift stores. The fashion changes with the region you choose to live. And since your a minimalist rent a room in someone's home or garage apartment or buy a small RV and place in a RV park but that depends on where your going and how the winter months are. Sounds like a fun great adventure

Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times
My thoughts:

Depending upon the move, I personally would take
  1. Clothing,tools,electronics and personal items
  2. Sell furniture (unless it was new,antiques or gifts) and appliances (unless they were brand new or going with the home)

It's always easier (and these days less expensive) to simply buy all new large items wherever you go than to lug it around as moving definitely hasn't gotten cheaper. You can furnish an apartment for $1-3k cheap or $5-10k expensive. A move using professional movers would likely cost you around $4-5k.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 18,017 times
Default Cheaper to Buy Used

I was face to face with a similar situation a few years back when I was going to sell my home and move long distance. The realtor advised me to sell my stuff and buy all new and I took offense. The moving company gave me an outrageous price. I had decided to pack it all up and pay someone to drive a UHaul to my destination. I get rather attached to my stuff. Long story short the deal fell through.

If I had to do it over I would, as many here have said, sell most everything except necessary clothing, antiques, and my precious toys. So much is easily replaceable on Craig's List if you have the patience to wait. Besides, a fresh start would be so refreshing!

Good luck to you!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
I would caution you that depending where you live, what you think you can get for used items and what you'll actually get can be quite different.

I sold or gave away most of my major furniture, washer/dryer etc for a long-distance move. I simply could not afford to move all my stuff since it had to go into storage for 2 years and that also was extremely expenisve. Now I need to buy nearly EVERYTHING all over again, it makes me sick.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNancy View Post
I was face to face with a similar situation a few years back when I was going to sell my home and move long distance. The realtor advised me to sell my stuff and buy all new and I took offense. The moving company gave me an outrageous price. I had decided to pack it all up and pay someone to drive a UHaul to my destination. I get rather attached to my stuff. Long story short the deal fell through.

If I had to do it over I would, as many here have said, sell most everything except necessary clothing, antiques, and my precious toys. So much is easily replaceable on Craig's List if you have the patience to wait. Besides, a fresh start would be so refreshing!

Good luck to you!
But it never seems to work out right. I had to sell my slightly used washer/dryer for $100, because that's the highest offer I got for it. I had a $1000 slightly used queen size bed... sold for $50. But when go on Craigslist or even Salvation Army type stores and try to BUY anything at the prices I sold for so far that has proved to be impossible.

Plus, with Craigslist there is the problem of HOW to get the item to your home. Often, neither party has a truck or can lift heavy things, then you need to hire someone to do that, and even casual movers will ask $50 to $100.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
I sold everything other than a 32 " TV, laptop and clothes... Stuff that fit in my car.

I moved 3000 miles from Savannah, GA and Uhaul was sooooooo not worth it.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 94,893 times
For me I am going through everything I have, asking myself if it will cost more to move or replace.

I am moving across country, several thousand miles, so most of the stuff will not be making the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues