Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,892 times

Advertisements

I have looked at vermont, but dont know much about it. I heard they have high tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
Higher than most but not as high as some. But, there are many other benefits.

Cat

Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Does Vermont match a lot of my criteria I listed at the original comment? or Oregon? Missouri? Ohio?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Does Vermont match a lot of my criteria I listed at the original comment? or Oregon? Missouri? Ohio?

Yes, that is why I suggested it.

Quote:
I need some thoughts on where to move to. Not much on crowds, would like a huge amount of land with trees, like winter better than summer, don't want really bad weather like hurricanes earthquakes floods etc, vegetarian friendly, pet friendly, unique homes not trailer or basic square house, middle road cost of living. Temperate middle of the road not over run by rules just a place to nicely live would be great. I've looked around on the internet, but I would like to hear from actual people that have actual experience with certain areas. Another words, people who can suggest something for me who know what they are talking about versus some internet search that is too wide of a search. Thanks.
-Vermont is the 2nd least populous state.
- 77% state is covered by forests.
- Vermont winters are notorious.
-If we get hurricanes here, they are usually the tail end of them.
-We have had a few small earthquakes but they are deep that they don't cause much damage. (Every place has earthquakes but some more than others)
-There are certain areas of the state that are prone to flooding but not all.
-This is an agricultural state with lots of small farmers. There are farmers' markets in almost every town. There are even several vegetarian restaurants.
-Can't tell you how many times I go into businesses and there are cats and/or dogs there.
-We have a lot of unique houses many were built in the 19th century. We also have a bunch of Mcmansion, too but that depends on where you are.
-The cost of living is the one thing that is not that great. The state ranks 41-but at least it is not the worst.
-We are not overrun by regulations. There is a saying in Vermont, "Just don't do it in the streets and scare the horse."

Don't take my word for it. Come visit and see this beautiful state for yourself.

Cat

Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM

What are the best cities in Vermont? for the above criteria.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 PM

400 posts, read 793,450 times
Is say west NJ/PA. Taxes aren't crazy high (at least compared to what I'm used to). There are charming homes and a good amount of land. Also, there are tons of places to get farm-fresh produce!

Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What are the best cities in Vermont? for the above criteria.

Just about any place in Vermont fits it. It depends if you are looking for more urban or rural. There are a lot of little towns that are just great. I live in a small town. I wouldn't say that my town is great (there are others so much better) but we are comfortable here and I like it.

Burlington is the biggest city-but too urban for my taste. Two of my step-kids live in the Burlington area and they love it so it really depends on your preference. It does have a lot vegetarian restaurants.

Again, it depends on your preference.

Cat

Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM

The first thing I saw when I looked up Burlington was flooding from hurricanes. Hurricanes? In Vermont? Didn't realize they go way up north. Another person says PA, does that area get hurricanes? What about Ohio weather?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The first thing I saw when I looked up Burlington was flooding from hurricanes. Hurricanes? In Vermont? Didn't realize they go way up north. Another person says PA, does that area get hurricanes? What about Ohio weather?

Vermont only gets the tail end of hurricanes. Never the major impact. And yeah flooding is a problem in certain parts of the state but I was not aware that Burlington was one of those places. Brattleboro, yes, but Burlington? And Tropical Storm Irene was a once-in-50 year storm (and noticed it was a tropical storm not a hurricane.) I don't think the damage in Burlington was minimum compared to other parts of the state.

Cat

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Your criteria needs to be narrowed down some more, lots and lots of places possibly fit what you want.
Five acres was enough to keep us from seeing roads neighbors, etc, of course it depends on how thick the trees are and how long your driveway is. Not hearing neighbors will take considerably more.
Log cabin type homes should be easily found just about any mountainous or heavily forested regions, and older towns are often full of turn of the century housing, old factories turned into lofts, etc.
Second some of the areas in the upper midwest, specifically thinking western MI between Kalamazoo and Traverse City. Lots of lumber barons built some fantastic housing in that region.
You could also look into the area of southwest VA, western NC, east TN, it seems to fit most of what you want although 'pet friendly' might depend on your definition. I think most people here consider their animals work animals or companions, not furry children. You don't see them at a lot of businesses other than pet stores or the occasional patio place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues