Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM

80 posts, read 82,142 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody, I was wondering if anybody here could give me any advice on where to move in southeast area of the United States and the best way to get there. I am in a rush to leave because i live in a really awful overcrowded house and i live in an area with no resources whatsoever. I have to live in a house with almost no insulation and half assed windows and i live as far north as possible so it's brutally cold. I have been living here for almost 20 years. I do not want to be anywhere rural and i just want to live in a city or at least near one.

So basically my major issues are

What are the best cities in the southeast to move to (mostly concerned only about cheap cost of living, easy access to transportation such as buses and trains, and employment rate):

What is the best way to rent an apartment in area i'm not living in or can't visit (should i rent a trailer or try and find an apartment when i won't have an income there as far as i know)

Which cities would I have an easy time in getting to a job on foot (I don't care if i have to take a bus or walk to work as long as i can make it to a job on a regular basis)

I don't have my license yet and I owe another ~800 dollars before i can get it back from the DMV. I only have about 500 in my wallet right now. I have a job but i barely get any hours and i try to find money other ways but i live in an abondoned hick town right now so it's very difficult. I just want to find a place i can take a bus from New York and start a new life for myself. I have no qualms about living in a cheap place making minimum wage for now as long as i have somewhere i can begin to start a life for myself. I have a high school diploma and about 54 college credits in criminal justice with a seperate certificate from a technical institute (I wanted to do campus police or armed security). I am thinking Florida right now but the humidity might be a little overwhelming so i'll just go where ever i can find the best state economy. Thank you all

Last edited by Syfer1324; 04-02-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,162 times
The humidity in southern states like FL, GA, SC etc is horrible. They have 2 seasons... Summer and almost summer.

I left Savannah, GA in 2011 never to return. The COL is low and the jobs pay accordingly... Assuming you can even find one.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:58 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfer1324 View Post
What are the best cities in the southeast to move to ...
it's ALL about the jobs you can get with the skills you already have...
that can't/aren't already being filled by the 1000's of locals with similar skill

If you can meet that criteria the rest is just logistics.
If you can't... you're better off staying where people know you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues