Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:45 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonechick View Post
Currently in Southern California. Awesome weather, even when it isn't so awesome.

I want to move away from here because it's just way too close to my family. I love them to pieces, but I just can't be around them anymore. I'm single, no kids, no real ties. So, up-and-moving is totally something I can (and am totally willing to) do! I have a steady job now, but I don't save money. Despite the job market sucking, I've been blessed enough to find work easily. When I move, I'm taking literally only what I can carry with me, bare necessities. Material things don't matter to me. When I move, I do plan to find a roommate on Craigslist or something like that.

What non-California cities should I consider? Anywhere in Canada, even!
Go to wherever the cost of living will keep up with the wages. You say material possessions don't matter to you, but being broke sucks no matter where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
If chasing a job, Texas major cities would be your best bet.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I'm not understanding this post. You have no job lined up, aren't planning to line up a job before you move, have no car, no way to move yourself, and have zero savings.

Congrats. You have the worst moving plan I've ever heard of.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm not understanding this post. You have no job lined up, aren't planning to line up a job before you move, have no car, no way to move yourself, and have zero savings.

Congrats. You have the worst moving plan I've ever heard of.

I must of missed the lack of savings. It also sounds like you are running from problems with family. I understand that distance sometimes is needed but at the same time problems follow you. Also lets say you have a family member in a state it does not mean you need to rule the whole state out.
Though in the past you may have not had a problem getting a job that does not mean you won't now. Even college graduates sometimes have to work retail type jobs because they can't find work in their field.
Also the move costs money so how are you going to pay to get there, deposits, living till you get a job?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatonechick View Post
I know that it's smart to have a job lined up before moving anywhere, but I've known people who just moved and looked for a job once they got to wherever they were going. I was hoping to do that, too. You're so right about the self-discipline thing. Thanks!
I've done it 8 times, but save up some money. Unless you have a specialized job set, no one is going to give you a job from out of town. Too many local candidates to choose from, not to mention they have to worry about you never showing up.
I moved to Salt lake City with only things that would fit in my car and 3K. I would recommend more than that since this is your first move. Also, you can't be picky on job hunting. Take the first job you can get, and then upgraded from there. I left my first job 3 weeks after I got it, then left the 2nd one 3 months later for an even better position. It's about survival.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
If you consider Portland, you better have a big nest egg. That was my target city but there job economy is not good right now. Lots of young homeless. Awesome city, just not a lot of jobs to be found.

Dallas - Lived there for 15 years, 1 year without a car. You do not want to live in that city without a car. DART is improving, but it's still got a ways to go as a viable way to get around. I had tons of friends and know that city well and it was still a major hassle. Being a new transplant who had no connections, I couldn't imagine. NYC and LA are expensive. Chicago isn't a bad choice. You can find affordable apartments and you don't need a car in Chicago.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I've done it 8 times, but save up some money. Unless you have a specialized job set, no one is going to give you a job from out of town. Too many local candidates to choose from, not to mention they have to worry about you never showing up.
I moved to Salt lake City with only things that would fit in my car and 3K. I would recommend more than that since this is your first move. Also, you can't be picky on job hunting. Take the first job you can get, and then upgraded from there. I left my first job 3 weeks after I got it, then left the 2nd Ankone 3 months later for an even better position. It's about survival.
Words of wisdom here....
I'm putting together the money for my new location.
Even though it's hard to not just pack up & go,
I know money is a necessity for
starting over successfully.
Ankhharu, your posts always inspire me

Last edited by believe007; 04-23-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,002 times
Default walkability scores

Looks like my post on walkability scores got lost. SF and Portland did score high. So did Santa Ana, CA is that too close for comfort? Miami. FL and Seattle ranked high NYC is #1!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,002 times
Default NYC ranks #1

SF and Portland are fairly non car friendly, too. Seattle and Denver rank better than average. Sacramento ranks higher than SD. Miami has really good scores too. Pleasant surprise is that Santa Ana scores higher than SD, LA or Long Beach if you decide to stay local.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I moved to Salt lake City with only things that would fit in my car and 3K. I would recommend more than that since this is your first move. Also, you can't be picky on job hunting. Take the first job you can get, and then upgraded from there. I left my first job 3 weeks after I got it, then left the 2nd one 3 months later for an even better position. It's about survival.
Agreed. I decided to move to Florida because I like the weather and the ocean and I couldn't take another winter. It took me around 6 months to find a job but I was fairly picky. I lucked out because I found one that covered relocation. It costs a lot to move long distance so I would agree you need some cash saved up even if you are not bringing much. For example, it was around $300 to change my license and register my car in FL. There were a lot of little details like that. I have to add that having a job made finding a place to live much easier. I was able to rent a condo because I had proof of income. If you move without a job lined up you might have a problem trying to rent a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues