Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 PM

194 posts, read 262,179 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has experience with either or both of these movers and which one you like better. I have narrowed it down to these 2 -moving from Chicago area tio Bella Vista, AR.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:42 PM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
I used Allied in 2000 (yeah, a LONG time ago) to move from Purdue's campus to Chicago. The Allied contractor was a total jerk that showed up at 6:30am in the morning and wanted to knock on my neighbors' doors to cheaply find someone to help him haul my couch up 3 flights of stairs. I told him no, this was not how I wanted to meet my new neighbors. He then drug the couch up himself and ripped it. My company paid a LOT of money for him to move me (fortune 500 company) and he took advantage because I was a 23 year old single female. At least, that's my take. AND when he picked up the goods on the other end he also asked my 65 year old aunt if she would mind helping him lift the couch in the truck. When she said no, he again drug it in.

I will never use Allied again, but I'm aware it's probably just that this one driver was a total jack*****!

*Sigh* I'm also trying to decide on a company for a cross country move. I am willing to pay quite a bit, but I'm nervous no matter what I pay it will all come down to who the person contracts out on each end to actually do the moving. Fortunately I'm not naive and 23 anymore, so hopefully that will help.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:03 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
It depends on the local agent. We went with Allied Van Lines and loved the local agent. They were ranked very highly by the BBB, were professional and a cut above some of the others who were bottom feeding scumbags.

I actually had United Van Lines call me and try to give me a phone quote for our move. I was not impressed with the person I spoke with. The Allied guy came out to the house professionally dressed, was courteous and gave us a detailed quote right on the spot. They were a bit more expensive but our move went without a hitch. In fact we were 2,000 lbs over their estimate and THEY had to eat the cost.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:13 PM

So how do you find a good local agent? Did you go through the national site and let them just point you at one? Or is it better to do your own research and find a good local agent? I'm sure there are multiple in some areas that can help you, right?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Movers Reviews

Personally, I will never use a moving company again. Either I will figure out a way to get some manual labor through Craigslist to load/unload a truck or it just won't happen.

There is a thread somewhere on C-D about moving companies.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
I'd suggest Upack-- you have the best of both worlds-- you can hire (through them) skilled labor to pack up and unload the truck, you only pay for the space you use and they're FAR, FAR cheaper, not to mention faster, than the full service guys.

Moving the contents of my 5 bedroom home from FL to MN (1800 miles) will cost me roughly $3300 (plus loading/unloading) with Upack-- and I only pay for the space I use, an additional linear foot of space in the truck will only run me $72 (also if I need less space, I'll save $72 per linear foot). Conversely, a full scale move will run me $8000 or so plus there's uncertainty of what I'll be charged due to weight.

In fact, the price is not much more than renting a truck and doing it yourself when you include the gas and hotels. To wit, to rent a 26' truck from FL to MN (1800 miles) will cost me $1200, gas will run around $800 plus hotels are another $200. So, a total of $2200 (and three days of my life consumed by driving a behemoth). Plus I'd likely hire people at either end for another $200-$300 for loading/unloading. So for $1000 more than a DIY move, I get all of the benefits of a full service move without the downsides-- and while saving $4000-$5000 vs a full service move.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM

I've read some horrible things about Upack, too. :/ It seems every moving company has some HORRIBLE reviews and you have to just pick the best you can find. I was moved professionally by Mayflower last time from midwest to west coast and it went great. My company hired the movers so I didn't think twice about it. Now I'm trying to find a moving company and I feel like it's so hit or miss and so difficult. :/

I don't want to drive myself from west coast to east. I have a 4 and 1 year old. The 1 year old won't travel well in a car for that long and I don't want to split up the family for a week because the 4 year old is struggling with the move emotionally.

Likewise to all these people that say dump everything you have and just fly there -- not the best way to handle the move with a preschooler that doesn't understand why all their things are gone.

I don't mind spending $10k as my company gave me $20k to move. I just don't want to get ripped off/stressed out by/troubled by drama from the move. Not looking to do it cheaply, looking to do it hassle free and the reviews are so depressing.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks guys, for the suggestions, btw. Sorry to be so negative. We're going to hire someone from one of the national chains I guess and just hope it goes well. If not, we will just deal with it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodle007 View Post
Wondering if anyone has experience with either or both of these movers and which one you like better. I have narrowed it down to these 2 -moving from Chicago area tio Bella Vista, AR.

Thanks!
Allied is a terrible company! Their packers and movers are very unprofessional in both skills and demeanor. In some cities, they use ex-cons. Some show up for the job with alcohol on their breath (at 9 a.m.). And beware going with another big company, like United. Some of them contract out to Allied. Call and check before you sign on.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Allied is a terrible company! Their packers and movers are very unprofessional in both skills and demeanor. In some cities, they use ex-cons. Some show up for the job with alcohol on their breath (at 9 a.m.). And beware going with another big company, like United. Some of them contract out to Allied. Call and check before you sign on.
But who is better!? Some of the smaller companies are so shady, you look and they used to be listed under a different name and then changed their name to escape their old rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues