Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood is hosting a community garage sale that's been advertised in the newspaper. Since we're moving cross country in a few months, so we're selling off a TON of items and trying to downsize as it's very possible that our new home will be smaller than our current one. I've never participated in our annual garage sale as I normally donate everything to a local shelter (and will donate everything that doesn't sell on Monday), so I'd love some advice from seasoned garage sale sellers.

Here's what I've done so far:

-I have most items sorted and priced (most items are $1-$5, including some higher end kids' clothing--some even have tags still on them-- and brand name kitchen items and sporting goods); a few selected items are $10-$15, but still WAY, WAY, WAY below retail.

-I have $60 in singles so I can make change-- and I have an app on my phone where I can accept a credit or debit card, if need be.

-Since my husband has to take our son to his hockey games tomorrow, I have a friend helping me with manning the sale and my dad on stand by if I need an extra hand.

-I don't have enough tables to display everything nor do I have a hanging rack, so I've sorted items into boxes where all of the items are the same price.

Anything that I'm missing? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
1/2 way thru sale every thing is 50% off

Expect to negotiate a 1/3 discount down off the "List" price, But do it as you you have two $5 item for $7, not 1 $5 item for $3.

Factor in the Credit/Debit card cost and give less of a discount if they don't use cash.

In last hour have a Fill the Bag for $20 Anything that will fit in the bag flat price $20. (move the Higher priced item out of the sale, if you don't want to just liquidate them)

Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
Have a bunch of loose change, be willing to negotiate.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
On the change part, like Restrain mentioned, I found an easy way to get it. Unless you're going to sell something for 5 or 10 cents, you really only need quarters. Best place to get quarters around here is a car wash or laundromat. You can put a $10 bill in and get $10 in quarters. And you can wait till the morning of the sale and have somebody go get it.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Another thing to think about is what's left over. If it's some things that you really don't want to pack up, or if you don't want to pack any of it up, call Goodwill or Salvation Army to come and get it. You won't have to fool with it any more plus you'll be helping others.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM

When my HOA does it sale, it arranges for a non/profit to come by late that day. like 5/6p to pick up stuff.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Have an extension cord handy so people can prove for themselves that anything that needs power will actually work.

Do not let your cash out of your sight. Wearing an apron with pockets might be helpful and keep your change handy.

Don't assume something is not worth selling. A box of old linens might go to someone with pets. (If it does not sell, donate it to your local animal shelter.)

Old 04-26-2014, 06:43 AM

O...
Lock the doors to your House,
If Keep the Garage Doors closed.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:20 PM

878 posts, read 1,207,549 times
Thank you all SO much for the assistance, much appreciated. So, my first (and LAST!) garage sale has been completed-- it was more or less successful but pretty painful (there are people who buy in bulk and asking to buy a HUGE box of 50+ pieces of brand name kids' clothes for $5-- um, no, I'll donate and take the write off, thanks). Definitely have more cash in my hand than I did this morning, but I can say with the utmost confidence that I won't be repeating that ever again.

Gave away most of my remaining boys' clothing to one neighbor, gave the rest of the girls' clothing to another neighbor-- bagged up everything else and the Veterans Association will pick up the rest on Monday. So much easier, and almost as lucrative, to donate. Lesson learned!

Last edited by ellysbelly; 04-26-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 01:54 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Thank you all SO much for the assistance, much appreciated. So, my first (and LAST!) garage sale has been completed-- it was more or less successful but pretty painful (there are people who buy in bulk and tasking to buy a HUGE box of 50+ pieces of brand name kids' clothes for $5-- um, no, I'll donate and take the write off, thanks). Definitely have more cash in my hand than I did this morning, but I can say with the utmost confidence that I won't be repeating that ever again.

Gave away most of my remaining boys' clothing to one neighbor, gave the rest of the girls' clothing to another neighbor-- bagged up everything else and the Veterans Association will pick up the rest on Monday. So much easier, and almost as lucrative, to donate. Lesson learned!

Oh I so know your pain are they not the worst thing to go through ? we had one once and notice I said once ...it was because once is enough we had people haggling over a quarter yes a quarter and I will never do it again ..dimes and quarters to argue over is ridiculous ...absoloutly ridiculous .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues