Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM

30 posts, read 75,441 times

Advertisements

18 months ago I moved from DC to San Diego, and I got rid of 99% of my stuff, and the little bit I did keep I packed into my Jeep and drove cross country.

Unfortunately I just found out yesterday that the job I was counting on for months isn't going to be able to move forward due to another protest on the contract (gov contracting, it really really sucks). I'm in a bit of a shock, but I have the entire month of May to get out of here (although the sooner the better). In fact I'm eager to get out of here ASAP just because of all the crap I've been through with these companies jerking me around, and the fact that I've burned through WAY more of my personal savings than I ever intended.

The kicker is I bought all new furniture/bed/TV all of which is between 6-8 months old (all was purchased new).

Because of the enormous drain on my personal savings due to these unforeseen job issues, I'm trying to determine the cheapest way to go about this as I'd rather not go into debt if I can help it.

Would you just total up the cost of your stuff, and then compare that total to what it would cost to move it? Is there any other factors I would have to consider? I don't have any personal feeling towards any of my stuff except the rapidly depleting dollars in my savings account, I just want to figure out the absolute cheapest way to go about this - also selling stuff here in San Diego I'll be lucky to recoup 50% or so based on what I've seen so far

Oh yeah, I should also add that I won't be driving the Jeep back it will be shipped, so all the essential stuff that I can't get rid of that was packed into the Jeep will have to be shipped too.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions as I'm beyond frazzled, I'm pretty burnt out from this whole debacle (before my initial contract was terminated in October I was considering San Diego to be my new home permanently) and I just want it to be over LOL so any opinions would be helpful in my decision making process.

PS Sorry if this sounds like a pseudo-rant, I just had basically everything I've spent the last 6 months or so working on fall apart yesterday so I'm a bit out of sorts at the moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
Question is, where are you moving to, renting a new place or crashing at someone's home? Got a new job lines up, or job hunting? All these things affect the decision.

If no job, dealing with savings to live, cut the stuff to what you can get in a 6x14 UHaul trailer and pull it with the Jeep as opposed to shipping it.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrawg View Post
(before my initial contract was terminated in October I was considering San Diego to be my new home permanently) and I just want it to be over LOL so any opinions would be helpful in my decision making process.
If you were considering the move to San Diego to be permanent, then why are you thinking of moving back to DC? Why not look for another job in San Diego? You didn't say you had a job lined up in DC, so whether you stay or go, you still have to look for a job. May as well be San Diego.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 75,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Question is, where are you moving to, renting a new place or crashing at someone's home? Got a new job lines up, or job hunting? All these things affect the decision.

If no job, dealing with savings to live, cut the stuff to what you can get in a 6x14 UHaul trailer and pull it with the Jeep as opposed to shipping it.
Got several things lined up jobwise, but nothing definite yet (I started a company with a buddy of mine before I moved out here, and he's still doing well so I may just rejoin him if need be). Will be staying with my Mom until things are settled and I am fully employed, meanwhile she has a very large house in which she lives alone so storage/rent/food/etc will be free until I'm back on my feet.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrawg View Post
The kicker is I bought all new...
This is where the mistake was made.

Had you replaced your older & adequate stuff with similarly older and adequate...
Don't do all of that again.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is where the mistake was made.

Had you replaced your older & adequate stuff with similarly older and adequate...
Don't do all of that again.
^this. I buy all of my furniture (other than bedding and couches) from thrift stores and Craigslist-- it takes a little while to find items that I like that are in great condition but I always end up with nicer and better quality items (i.e. solid wood with dovetailed joints rather than particle board) for a mere fraction of the cost of what I'd pay for lesser quality.. plus I can-- and have-- resold them for as much if not more than I paid. And no one believes me when I tell them that I furnished my house for next to nothing-- as it all looks (because it IS!) high end.

Chalk this up as a lesson learned-- if the moving cost is more than the items are worth, sell them to recoup some cash and move back East. Best of luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM

688 posts, read 1,100,954 times
If you are willing to buy furniture and furnishings at thrift stores or yard sales, the "ditch it" idea works great and makes a lot of economic sense.

Beds are easy to ditch and replace - new ones are readily available new - but quality furniture can sometimes take 3 or 4 months to get delivered at your new location, hence why some people pay to move their furniture and all their other crap even if it appears they could save the cost of the move just ditching and buying new.

I know because I am doing the math right now for a cross country move, and it is a tough call, but I am not willing to rely on thrift store stuff, so I am going to pay to move my stuff since I know I will be in this new location for at least 4 years.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:51 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
UPack is a great way to ship stuff. Go online and enter how much stuff you have, you'll get an email quote on how much it costs to ship from point A to point B. They'll bring a trailer to your driveway. You load it and install a bulkhead. They deliver it to your mom's driveway. You unload it.

We priced out a UHaul move and it was even less than UHaul by the time you figured in gas and hotel stays. And a lot less fuss and bother.

http://www.upack.com/

Then decide if your furniture is worth that much to you.

Not how much it will bring on Craigslist or how much you paid for it, but is it worth the cost of shipping to you?

Go from there.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 AM

UPack also has pods that will hold a limited amount of furniture along with your personal belongings.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 AM

Did a quick check with UPack. You take your stuff to the San Diego terminal and load the trailer. Then unload it at the Elkridge, MD service center, for $2,399 (which includes, taxes, fuel and ramp charges), you get 7 ft. of trailer space, 96" wide and 108" high. They estimate that a 1 bedroom apartment will fit in a 7 foot space. Additional feet are $112 a foot.

So is your stuff worth $2,400 to you?

I could certainly understand spending $2400 to buy different stuff on the other end. And, of course, you would get something for selling stuff in San Diego.

By the way, I shop Craigslist, consignment stores, etc. I could not replace our furniture for $2,400. Replacing our mattress (king size, eurotop) would run nearly that much.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-06-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues