U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 AM

38 posts, read 38,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I love apple and banana boxes for moving. You have to ask at a grocery store, but they work great. Sturdy, not too big, built in handles and lid.
What a great idea, never thought of that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 07:04 PM

106 posts, read 211,458 times
We were looking at boxes the other day. The TV/art boxes at UHaul are really expensive compared to Home Depot, where they were $20.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM

35,103 posts, read 45,188,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I love apple and banana boxes for moving. You have to ask at a grocery store, but they work great. Sturdy, not too big, built in handles and lid.

Egg boxes are great as well and a bit deeper but not as wide.

Shrink wrap is excellent for desks, dressers and anything else that need corner protection or has drawers/doors.

I also use all the towels, linens, dish towels, dish clothes and wash cloths in our home as well for packing material.

I also use socks, unders, thermals and tshirts (all clean of course) to stuff into corners of boxes that have items like lamps to fill in the empty spaces and give protection. Much cheaper than bubble wrap and works quite well.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM

5,625 posts, read 5,912,634 times
I have never bought boxes. We use trash bags and used boxes from the grocery store. Last time though they were all too big so we went across the river to the liquor stores.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 AM

14,790 posts, read 21,270,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I have never bought boxes. We use trash bags and used boxes from the grocery store. Last time though they were all too big so we went across the river to the liquor stores.

I do the same I get the boxes from the liquor stores as well and also spray them with some insecticide just in case you are toting something home you may not want LOL ... Good luck on your move .

Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Our move date just got moved up and I need to get this house-- all 5 bedrooms and 3000 sq feet of it (eeek!)-- packed up within the next 33 days.

Where's the best place to buy wardrobe boxes? TV boxes (2 50" and one 42" plasmas)? Bubble wrap? Shrink wrap? Anything else that I'm forgetting?

Thanks, all!
Hi,

U-Haul has a nice assortment of boxes. They deliver and will also buy back any unused boxes. Not sure about the other packing materials (tape, bubble wrap). U-Haul carries all of these materials, but I'm not sure if Home Depot/Lowe's would offer a better price.

Good luck on your move,

Jane

Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,372,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
You might take a quick look on Craigslist. People who have just moved will often sell their moving boxes afterwards.

This is a good suggestion - I put an item out on our neighborhood web site asking for boxes, and got probably more than I need, with packing paper. Wardrobe boxes, picture and mirror boxes, and a flat tx box. Free. The person was just happy to get them out of her garage.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 AM

279 posts, read 771,683 times
if you are lucky, start asking around at your job. They might have huge boxes that computers come in that end up in the trash compactor

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM

55 posts, read 53,959 times
Try the loading dock at the furniture store. All kinds of free bubble wrap, styrofoam, corner protectors, huge plastic bags that scrunch up really well for packing material. Huge easy chair size boxes if you can use them, no smaller boxes though.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 AM

20 posts, read 17,710 times
Be careful getting 20 random sizes of boxes - if you have odd sizes it will be hard to pack, leaving gaps. Try to keep to a standard size, like 18" on one dimension and 16" or 24" tall.

I found uhaul had the cheapest decent boxes, but walmart had bubble wrap cheapest - 200 feet for $15 where uhaul was $19.99 for 100 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues