U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM

3,718 posts, read 3,250,530 times

Advertisements

And they are sturdy boxes and delivered in three days to Moab UT and we are not exactly on the main road.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 102 times
When I moved from California to Arizona, I found a bunch of free moving boxes on BoxGiver.com. I also used Facebook marketplace, but some of them were in bad condition

Old 04-20-2021, 12:20 AM

499 posts, read 106,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Egg boxes are great as well and a bit deeper but not as wide.

Shrink wrap is excellent for desks, dressers and anything else that need corner protection or has drawers/doors.

I also use all the towels, linens, dish towels, dish clothes and wash cloths in our home as well for packing material.

I also use socks, unders, thermals and tshirts (all clean of course) to stuff into corners of boxes that have items like lamps to fill in the empty spaces and give protection. Much cheaper than bubble wrap and works quite well.

Agree on the shrink wrap. I got the small 5" rolls with the cardboard handles and used it for everything. It holds silverware together in nice tight bundles, keeps cords bundled and remotes attached to your electronics, adds extra security to boxes as well as keeping them from sliding around when they're stacked, etc.

Also agree on using the linens / clothing as packing material - I only used bubble wrap for some fine crystal. Everything else was wrapped and packed with clothing, sheets, towels. Also saves on clothing boxes.

For my framed artwork I cut cardboard to fit over the glass and held it in place with shrink wrap, then covered the whole thing with towels (and more shrink wrap). Then I bundled together several pieces of similar size and wrapped them with cardboard (and yet more shrink wrap). Zero damage.

If someone offers you boxes that aren't perfect, take them. Scrap cardboard is very useful for corner pieces, extra protection, and creative packaging for odd sizes and shapes, and it can get expensive cutting up boxes you just bought from U-Haul.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:55 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,023,494 times
Have a safe move. Although you’ve resolved your issue, I’ll add my response for other who may read this thread in the future.

We used UHaul and had them delivered to our house. The best part was that the boxes they shipped our order in were....free. And trust me, I used them! Shipping was free and they were deliver via FedEx Ground.

You can also return any that you don’t use although that’s true for Home Depot also. I rather enjoyed buying a pre-defined set of materials for our move. It worked out nicely.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:18 PM

26 posts, read 4,595 times
I am moving as well. I always got free boxes. what you need to keep in mind is that free boxes tend to be different sizes, which makes it hard to pack the truck.

i plan on buying boxes this time. for that reason.

Banana boxes are great. I had real good luck at liquor stores. The Carlo Rossi boxes work great.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:28 PM

26 posts, read 4,595 times
I thought i should mention the 3 mil lawn and leaf bags. I buy a contractors box for every move. I always pack my clothes plus other random stuff in them. Of course my clothes are always wrinkled when I take them out. I feel they work better than boxes for a lot of stuff. Plus you can toss them on top of your random, free boxes, that don't stack well.

It may take a while, but it is something you can use after you are moved in.

Old Today, 02:09 PM

145 posts, read 172,075 times
In addition to U-Haul, Walmart carries many of the same supplies. Not all, but many (boxes, bubble wrap, tape, etc). And probably cheaper. U-Haul does have nice and sturdy boxes though, which I love. Also love their boxes for glasses with the dividers and foam pockets for each glass. I used to buy the 12"x12" boxes for my books from Walmart but it seems they quit selling them, haven't seen them in a year maybe, but did find them at U-Haul and they were thicker/sturdier which is good when filled with heavy books. Since you are really in a crunch for time, choose U-Haul. I've heard they will accept any boxes you do not use too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues