Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,735 times

Advertisements

Two big changes occurred in my life recently, I decided to leave the church I grew up in and I moved to a new city. After studying the founding of my church, I determined that it was not what it claimed to be and stopped participating.

I have moved to new cities before, but it was so much easier because I would join the local congregation of my church and have instant connection to people my age and in my same situation. Now, I don’t have that community and I find it hard to make new friends outside of work.

What advice do you have on how to find like-minded people that I could connect with? How do you find friends in new places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Try meetup.org

We recently moved to a new city/state. Our advantage is we fall into the "senior category" so we have met many people through joining senior organizations. At this time, we do not participate in church. We left the church years ago and have not returned.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
If you have a local college take a continuing education (no-credit) class.

See what activities your local area has such as a recreation department and sign up for something--foreign language, tennis, knitting, arts and crafts, whatever.

Go to a different church each week and shop around for one you like.

Volunteer at something you believe is--the local food bank, an animal shelter, the rotary/lionesses clubs, etc.

Do the things you love, and you will meet people also doing those things.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Lv2trvl and Lae60 gave you excellent advice!

I'll add two specifics that go along with the more general ideas: either join a gym or appropriate physical activity. In my case, several of us ladies ride bikes after work and others (friends of friends) have joined us. You could also start a walking group.

There's also bookstore / library events if you like to read, and if there aren't any in your area, it might be worth chatting with the library about hosting an adult book group for several weeks.

In my area, there are community papers that come out on Wednesday that have weekend events and then there's a community calendar on Thursday. I don't have time to attend much right now, but if I were retired, I'd make a list of the 12 or so reoccurring events that interested me and start trying them.

The main thing is to get out! You can meet like-minded souls at the grocery store. The people who lose are the ones who sit at home, whining about being bored or lonely.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:59 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Great advice on this thread. We have made a conscious effort to meet people, and participate in community activities. Best wishes to you!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 PM

216 posts, read 438,356 times
Try the activity groups on Find your people - Meetup

Old 05-11-2014, 12:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
If you want to meet other young people flock towards entertainment. I play at open mic nights and there is always a large population of my aged people there, great way to meet people. I wouldn't recommend a college course or a gym as a place to pick up a date, but they are doable. I'm not a big fan of clubs, I can chill at a decent smaller bar though, so I would recommend a bar or cafe style pub to meet younger folks, easier around colleges. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsimian View Post
Two big changes occurred in my life recently, I decided to leave the church I grew up in and I moved to a new city. After studying the founding of my church, I determined that it was not what it claimed to be and stopped participating.

I have moved to new cities before, but it was so much easier because I would join the local congregation of my church and have instant connection to people my age and in my same situation. Now, I don’t have that community and I find it hard to make new friends outside of work.

What advice do you have on how to find like-minded people that I could connect with? How do you find friends in new places?

What happened with your former church? Send me a DM if you wish, I might have some suggestions.

Try some other churches. "Church hop" for a while.

You should look into meet up. And adult ed classes. Are you a member of a political party? They are always looking for volunteers.

Libraries can be excellent places for classes, book discussions and lectures.

If you like animals, your local shelter can always use help. If you enjoy helping the elderly or sick, volunteering at a hospital or nursing home might be rewarding for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
If you have a local college take a continuing education (no-credit) class.

See what activities your local area has such as a recreation department and sign up for something--foreign language, tennis, knitting, arts and crafts, whatever.

Go to a different church each week and shop around for one you like.

Volunteer at something you believe is--the local food bank, an animal shelter, the rotary/lionesses clubs, etc.

Great ideas!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post

I think this is excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues