Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:23 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,095,059 times

Advertisements

OP
You said Denver felt too overwhelming. Try San Diego and Albuquerque.

It is true that finding love (more specifically sex) will be harder outside of a large city. Since the majority of people are straight, and you need to find another gay man, you're looking for a smaller section of the population. Many gay people handle that problem by going to a large city so that they will be part of a larger crowd. It makes sense. I recommend to many young people that they do just that, even if they are straight. A straight 30 year old male still has better chances at finding a partner in a city that is at least medium size. (200k+)

I think you are right to re-focus your life. Do you want sex, or do you want a relationship? You'll find more of either in a big city, but a mid-size city may still be fairly good for finding a relationship. Since you wouldn't want to be stuck in that big city after finding love, you wouldn't actually be a perfect partner for most of the gay men in those cities. If they like Denver, but you feel crowded there, you have a serious problem in your relationship.

Therefore, if you want a relationship, I think you have a much better shot at long term happiness by going to a mid-size city. Find somewhere you can be happy, but not somewhere that is so rural that you are unlikely to encounter enough people to find someone that shares your lifestyle and your passions. If you love reading and fishing (random hobbies), finding a handsome gay man isn't enough. You would want one that shared at least one of your interests. So, avoid the tiny towns.

Hence, I suggest looking at cities with populations of at least 500k. You might consider some of the cities in Florida as well, or North Carolina if you wanted to stay closer to your current geographic region. If you aren't tied to it, the weather is better in SD (San Diego, not South Dakota) and ALBQ.

PS. As I tell everyone looking for a life-long partner. The place to find that isn't in a nightclub. A nightclub is for finding someone for the night. It is rare that two people both wanting a long term relationship will meet there. The values of a nightclub are NOT the basis for a marriage. I've known guys who were advised to go out to a bar and find a wife. Whose wife are you finding there? What a train-wreck of a situation they put themselves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,931,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
OP

It is true that finding love (more specifically sex) will be harder outside of a large city. Since the majority of people are straight, and you need to find another gay man, you're looking for a smaller section of the population. Many gay people handle that problem by going to a large city so that they will be part of a larger crowd. It makes sense. I recommend to many young people that they do just that, even if they are straight. A straight 30 year old male still has better chances at finding a partner in a city that is at least medium size. (200k+)

I think you are right to re-focus your life. Do you want sex, or do you want a relationship? You'll find more of either in a big city, but a mid-size city may still be fairly good for finding a relationship. Since you wouldn't want to be stuck in that big city after finding love, you wouldn't actually be a perfect partner for most of the gay men in those cities. If they like Denver, but you feel crowded there, you have a serious problem in your relationship.

Therefore, if you want a relationship, I think you have a much better shot at long term happiness by going to a mid-size city. Find somewhere you can be happy, but not somewhere that is so rural that you are unlikely to encounter enough people to find someone that shares your lifestyle and your passions. If you love reading and fishing (random hobbies), finding a handsome gay man isn't enough. You would want one that shared at least one of your interests. So, avoid the tiny towns.

Hence, I suggest looking at cities with populations of at least 500k. You might consider some of the cities in Florida as well, or North Carolina if you wanted to stay closer to your current geographic region. If you aren't tied to it, the weather is better in SD (San Diego, not South Dakota) and ALBQ.

PS. As I tell everyone looking for a life-long partner. The place to find that isn't in a nightclub. A nightclub is for finding someone for the night. It is rare that two people both wanting a long term relationship will meet there. The values of a nightclub are NOT the basis for a marriage. I've known guys who were advised to go out to a bar and find a wife. Whose wife are you finding there? What a train-wreck of a situation they put themselves in.
A city of 500K is too big for me. I prefer cities under 200K. San Diego is too big for me.

I'm basing off metro area size though. I'm hoping for less than 2 million.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
OP

Ironically, I've had an easier time finding dates and sex in CT instead of NYC. I found the scene in NYC to be very competitive and have a "wait for the next best thing" mentality. In a place like CT, single people still have sexual and dating needs just as much as singles in big cities. Since the singles population is less, I have found that they are more willing to make the time to meetup. But in a big city, everyone is just so busy all the time and pickier.

Also, if I move to a big metro area, finding a partner is a contingency -- it may or may not happen. But one thing's for sure -- I'm pretty much guaranteed to not enjoy living there.

Last edited by nep321; 05-23-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 08:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,821,875 times
What about the Carolinas? I have heard Asheville is small but nice. I don't know how easy it is to meet someone there. I know you want feedback from people who may have or be in a similar situation but have you tried to google some of the requirements and see what comes up?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What about the Carolinas? I have heard Asheville is small but nice. I don't know how easy it is to meet someone there. I know you want feedback from people who may have or be in a similar situation but have you tried to google some of the requirements and see what comes up?
I tried living in Charlotte and didn't like it. The Carolinas don't really appeal to me that much.

But anyway, this thread is not a request about helping me decide where to live. This thread is supposed to be about what you think my life's priorities should be from a living perspective, now that I'm entering my 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues