Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times

Advertisements

We are moving July 8. This time we want to avoid getting a UHAUL and use our van/car. The house we are moving into is only a few miles away and we dont have any big furniture that cant come apart. UHAUL is expensive around here. Do you think this is a good idea? Would it bet better to slowly move things in rather than all at once?

Should we hire a few people off craigslist to help us? When we moved in here we have 4 people (including myself) and it took 2hours to move across town from a 1bdrm to 2bdrm. We are moving from a 2bdrm apartment to 3bdrm house.

In the past we have been bad movers. Just throw everything in any old box or bag and shove it in the UHAUL. Moving in here was the only time we had help and it was a big help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:59 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Get some help!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Uhaul is not the only game out there. Where I used to live there was a mom and pop rental place that was way less than Uhaul.

I have done the 2 boxes at a time move. However I had a month overlap between the two places so there was lots of time. Even then I had help moving the large items.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Uhaul is not the only game out there. Where I used to live there was a mom and pop rental place that was way less than Uhaul.

I have done the 2 boxes at a time move. However I had a month overlap between the two places so there was lots of time. Even then I had help moving the large items.
There are a few truck rentals but they are about the same price. Budget, 2 men, UHAUL. Luckily since its a family house, we are not in a rush to move everything in one day. Not sure how much time (will be finding out soon).

I think I will look into getting help though, Any tips on how to hire someone reliable? How much do you even pay someone?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
We are moving July 8. This time we want to avoid getting a UHAUL and use our van/car. The house we are moving into is only a few miles away and we dont have any big furniture that cant come apart. UHAUL is expensive around here. Do you think this is a good idea? Would it bet better to slowly move things in rather than all at once?

Should we hire a few people off craigslist to help us? When we moved in here we have 4 people (including myself) and it took 2hours to move across town from a 1bdrm to 2bdrm. We are moving from a 2bdrm apartment to 3bdrm house.

In the past we have been bad movers. Just throw everything in any old box or bag and shove it in the UHAUL. Moving in here was the only time we had help and it was a big help!

The first thing you need to do is get rid of anything and everything that you really do not want, need, does not fit any longer or you just don't like as far as clothing goes.

After that pack extra items and keep essentials where you are. What I mean by extra items are extra plates, silverware, serving bowls, pots and pans that are not essential to daily living, winter clothing, bath towels and wash cloths, dish towels, cleaning supplies, shampoo, soap, etc.
Put those in the van and take them over to the new place and get those things put away.
Then keep doing that until you get down to furniture then take apart the furniture you have to and put it in the van the way it needs to come out.
If you want to put the beds up first then put them last in the van.

After that go through the old place one room at a time and get things put in a box and put in the van and clean that room top to bottom.
Then continue on from the back of the house to the front of the house until the last room is empty and cleaned.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:32 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The more organized you are when you pack, the more organized you will be when you move into your new house. If you throw everything in trash bags and stuff it in the car, you will end up with a huge heap of stuff in the garage that you may not go through for years. It's harder to throw stuff out at a house than an apartment too, because you have a small trash can instead of a whole dumpster to use.

If you only have a few big things to move, you can rent a pickup truck by the hour at Home Depot. The Uhaul here also has a cargo van you can rent for about $40/day. You can fit so much more stuff in a big van than you can in your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues