Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 PM

66 posts, read 99,438 times

Advertisements

@totsuka Thank you. Yep I've been doing some vigorous research because I don't want to move some place where it's even harder to find a decent job. I actually thought about Texas but the ONLY thing that scares me is the long commutes. I'm trying to find some walk-able communities on Walkscore though.

@DaniellaG I actually talked to my mom this morning and surprisingly she was extremely supportive, and let me know that if I don't do it I'll always wonder in the back of my mind, and to just have back up plans. It gave me another big push. It'll be hard but I'll definitely be able to find a way to make it back home, especially around the holidays. Thanks for commenting.

@Frihed89 Thank you! I'll keep that information in mind whenever I'm feeling homesick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonup11 View Post
@totsuka Yeah, I've been searching for a full-time job in my city for almost a year and can only find/get part-time. The job market sucks so it definitely would be a chance to move up for me.
Then if you can get a job somewhere else, I don't think you have much choice -- and if you're an only child, maybe your mom could also move where you move.

It's not just now that you have to consider, if people spend years not building up their retirement, then they may find themselves facing a pretty sad retirement with little money to enjoy it with.

I have relatives who lost everything in their mid-50s and could have stuck it out until they reached retirement but they knew what that was going to do to their monthly check so they left grown kids behind, they found jobs in another state that pay well and now they're retirement is being built, including their social security since they're making more money now than they ever did that will bring up the amount they get.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:19 PM

66 posts, read 99,438 times
@malamute All my siblings are grown but my mom is a newlywed, so her and her husband seem settled here for now. I'm in my early twenties and I always feel that I need to begin saving up for retirement. Not only will a change of scenery be good and motivating, but in the long run it can be a smart move for me. In the short run I'll be spending a lot of money, but it is an investment. Thanks for the story =-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues