U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM

786 posts, read 3,661,204 times

Advertisements

Elston, I feel better just knowing I am not the only one! We live in San Diego too. Best of luck with your move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,326,445 times
Elston-beautiful post, poetic. We've been here 3 winters now and I so want to move back east. My children and 3 grands are there and like you-the days of watching them grown and change are slipping by.

We did list our home last spring but the market "tanked". I've been dropping hints to hubby and hope we soon can make another move closer to "home."

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

41,800 posts, read 19,837,744 times
There is some comfort in hearing from others; good luck to you and yours.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM

601 posts, read 1,799,869 times
We too are trying to get back to our "comfort zone" when we first moved to Fl. I had imagined the perfect climate. But for us the heat and humidty are oppressive. We have tried to aclimate for the last 10 years. After a lifetime in Anchorage Alaska this is to much of a change.
We are trying to sell and go to Seattle, Wash. (not quite as drastic a Anchorage.) Looks like it will be a long waiting game though. Sales are slow and patience is the word for the day.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM

109 posts, read 372,789 times
I love this post! I've been job hunting in California as a chance to make a new start somewhere but also agonizing about leaving family, friends and the life I have here behind for a new start. Thing is, they're still just a plane ride or phone call away, and I know I'll meet new friends there (I'm far from shy).

Hearing that others have felt the same way, had to grieve the home they're leaving, etc. helps me greatly. Thank you for sharing that emotion!

Now, to get that new job landed....

Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM

947 posts, read 3,360,985 times
The downside for me when I get a new job, is that it is invariably FAR away from my family and I can't afford to.. or don't get the time off to go see them.

However, you have to weigh the pros and cons of every situation..

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this thread.. and glad I could help!.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM

4,128 posts, read 8,096,322 times
You are very fortunate to have had these opportunities. However, with satellite radio and i-pods, radio is dying. However, if you know of a small market southern town that will take me I'll be there very soon. So, let me know. Thanks

Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 648,963 times
Elston, another San Diego couple here who echo your sentiments...we are moving to middle tennessee this fall.

Beth

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM

216 posts, read 646,603 times
Great thread, i love the original post, thank you, i'm going to print it. i'm moving at the end of march out of california. i've lived in the same area for 28 years, raised my 3 kids here, went thru 2 marriages, lost one son here, been thru 4 dogs, countless cats, numerous friends (transient town, hard to make a living)

i've been dreading the 'depression' i know will come after i move. 'did i make the right choice, i miss my friends, looking for a new job etc.'

but i have 2 friends in the area i'm moving to who i love, my family is within driving distance and this new area is better motorcycle country.

i'm excited for a new adventure, and it is comforting to see i'm not alone. i'm sure the tears are gonna roll as i'm driving 'down the hill' for the last time to my new destination.....prescott valley, arizona here i come!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:03 PM

33,520 posts, read 18,555,468 times
Thumbs up Great Post!

RadioBroadcaster2008,

That was a very comprehensive and helpful post you wrote. I'm glad that you were brave enough to step out of your comfort zone and pursue your dreams in the field of radio. Making the adjustments to leaving family and friends so far away is an issue with just about everyone I've spoken with who have done the same thing. I myself am not brave enough to leave my family, friends and everything familiar--but that's me, we're all different.

Good thing you're still young enough to pursue various jobs around the country. I'm guessing you're single with no kids, so that makes moving easier. Once you get married and have a family of your own, that might makes things like packing up and moving a little trickier, but it can be done!

Even though I myself am staying right where I am, thanks for the very helpful post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues