U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,485 times

Advertisements

Currently stationed in Alaska but when I get out of the Air Force, I'm looking to go back home to NE Ohio. I don't want to stay there too long and was thinking bout moving south. Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana, or Alabama. Not sure why. Just something in me saying go. Your stories are all good and the list is helpful, but I'm usually to excited to travel to cry. Since you spent a good minute of your time in the south, any recommendations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 AM

947 posts, read 3,357,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
Currently stationed in Alaska but when I get out of the Air Force, I'm looking to go back home to NE Ohio. I don't want to stay there too long and was thinking bout moving south. Virginia, Georgia, Louisiana, or Alabama. Not sure why. Just something in me saying go. Your stories are all good and the list is helpful, but I'm usually to excited to travel to cry. Since you spent a good minute of your time in the south, any recommendations?
It all depends, what kinda area do you want to live in, in te middle of BFE.. rural... small town... subrburb.. city? What are you looking for exactly?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
It all depends, what kinda area do you want to live in, in te middle of BFE.. rural... small town... subrburb.. city? What are you looking for exactly?
I'm lookin at city but will probably settle on small town. I got a buddy from Southern Alabama and I'll probably stop down that way to see what's up. But City or small town are my personal preferences.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM

947 posts, read 3,357,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
I'm lookin at city but will probably settle on small town. I got a buddy from Southern Alabama and I'll probably stop down that way to see what's up. But City or small town are my personal preferences.
The cons to small towns in the south, everyones nose is up your beezwax and talk about you behind yourback.. USUALLY. But the food is good and cot of living is low.

I would research towns/areas you think you like and go from there.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,527 times
This is a very... relaxing thing to read. my and my fiance live in a tiney town of 400 people in the mountains of colorado and we are going to move to alaska on the 21st of august 2012 so i can have a chance of getting out and seeing the road. my dad was in the military for 12 years of my life so i got used to moving all over the place. But for some reason this move makes me increadibly nervous because im calling the shots for the first time of my life and i have somebody else relying on me. If you have any advice at all it would be greatly apprictiated like if we should fly there .or drive or what i have no idea,

Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

89 posts, read 264,590 times
Question stuck:(

What a great post! I agree with many others, this was comforting to read and I truly enjoyed the advice you gave. Now I ll see if you have more advice for me...lol.

I feel REALLY "stuck" right now, I do not feel like my current location is "home" I have felt this way the 6 years I have been here. My husband and I have discussed moving after I graduate school so we can both be looking for jobs. Our new move would most likely be MN (after securing jobs). We are in IA and all of our family is in SD. Am I being reasonable by wanting to leave so bad and try something new, or should I suck it up and try my hardest to make this feel like "home"?

Ultimately I know this is a decision that needs to be agreed upon by my husband and I. I'm just looking for advice from anyone else who has ever had this feeling and what you decided to do. Thanks so much!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,251 times
Hi, I'm from Southern CA but i recently moved to FL in July, and I've been thinking about moving 2 seattle in the summer, and I was really wondering how you like it there?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,897,278 times
To the last three posters - ComputerUser (the OP) hasn't been on here in 5 months; he has moved again, and is very busy making his new life. So he may not be on here for awhile...

He and I moved from SC to NE "together" (not really, but we chatted back and forth about it) three years ago; I stayed, he moved on. His career as a radio personality offers him opportunities that many don't have. We have stayed FB friends, but his lifestyle is very different from most, in that he has many contacts and opportunities and is at an age where he can take advantage of them - or dismiss them quickly. While his initial advice on moving, especially as a (relatively!) young and single male, is valid, please don't expect him to pop on here and answer you right away...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:41 PM

23 posts, read 45,177 times
That's really comforting to read. I moved about 60 miles away from my parents several months ago, and am going to be moving 1500 miles to Oklahoma soon. And yes, I'm going a bit crazy. I'm young, on a low budget, and am fairly sure that I'm insane. It's so strange moving on my own for the first time- moving out of my parents' house wasn't a big deal, but moving very far and starting a completely new life is intimidating. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does it and that you can do so and still survive.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 189,760 times
This thread is a bit old, but great information.

I'm in the opposite position of most of the folks - I want to move to San Diego from Massachusetts. I love the small town, farmlands, forests, and all the seasons of New England ... but I want something new. I'm not really a city person, but I have always loved visiting San Diego! The weather (of course), activity, beaches, and the chance to be in a new scary place all appeal to me.

I'm now trying to make it happen. I have a BSc and 1 year old of work experience in a field with an okay employment rate. Nothing holding me back, other than a dog to consider as well, but he would most definitely come along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues