U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 44,697 times

Advertisements

Thank you for these posts. I've found them helpful. I have lived in Texas for a few years when I was younger. Currently in North Carolina, and I have lived about everywhere in this state. Now married with two kids and dog and its time for a change. We've been considering South Georgia or north Florida, and I'm honestly nervous and scared to death, but these posts have really helped, thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 11:16 AM

9,540 posts, read 5,758,539 times
Apoligize bringing an old thread back found this helpful. Getting married in a year future wife is better off then me. We both have degrees, but she is in school now for vocational nursing. I am in between job's at the moment living pay check to pay check. Future wife is dabbling on the idea of moving out of state find better place to live, better cost of living, place with more job opportunities, place to raise our future kid's.

Any advice on moving out of state were considering moving from Conneticut to possibly down South in 2017 after the wedding in the Fall of 2016. Gives me about 18 month's to save up and clear my debt up of $8,000 grand. Will still probably have a cat loan by the time we move wife will also be leasing. Roughly ww spend about $290 a month on our car bill's and $150 each on our insurance for the cars at the moment.

I can see an easy transition to Massachusetts, Maine, or New York as easy to drive up day before to the interview get a job find a place to live.

How do you mobe a couple 1,000 miles away. Do you save up cash hope to find work in a month two at the most.

How do you approach that?

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:40 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,631,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
How do you mobe a couple 1,000 miles away. Do you save up cash hope to find work in a month two at the most.

How do you approach that?

Appreciate the feedback.
Good luck clearing your debt!

How do you move a couple thousand miles away...

Well, if you have very good paying professional jobs or are in desperately needed trade somewhere, you might be able to get an out-of-state employer to take a chance on you. If you work for a company that has offices in other states, you might see if there are any transfer opportunities. If you just work a dime a dozen job without transfer options available like my husband and I do, you save up money, find a place to land, and pound pavement looking for a job. Worked out fine for us, but before you move anywhere, it is important to do the following:

1) Use city-data and other relocation sites to help you narrow down regions and cities you might be interested in moving to.

2) Once you have a short list, start asking the important questions.

What is the job market like?
If I go to indeed or CL for that area, do I find a reasonable number of jobs for me and my SO in our fields or fields we would like to work in?
What is the overall unemployment rate?
Who are the major employers?
What temp agencies service the area for gap work?
What is the COL for this area?
How much does an average rental cost?
How much are groceries, utilities, taxes, insurances?
Are real estate prices high, low, or average?
How are average wages in this area compared with the COL?
What are services like? Quality of schools, public transport, and local medical facilities?
What recreation opportunities are available in a reasonable driving distance?
How do people normally vote in this area? Liberal? Conservative?

3) After you have whittled away at the list some more after answering the above questions, you will want to visit at least once if you have never been to the place before. I don't recommend moving anywhere sight unseen. You want to know what you are getting yourself into and reality may not match up to what idea you have in your head of what a place is like. Yes, this can cost money, but it would cost even more money to move somewhere and find out you hate it and want to move back ASAP.

4) Once you have made a decision on where to move to, save up as much money as you can. Start working on your resume/references, making a few contacts in the area, decluttering, getting any debt paid down or off. Set a date and plan out what you will do each day to get closer to making your dream move a reality.

5) If you are unable to find a job from where you are, that's not that uncommon and not a reason to be completely discouraged. If you are willing to make the leap of faith, start looking into extended stay motels and AirBNB. You very likely will not be able to get a conventional rental without a job, but obviously you need a place to live while you look. Both extended stay hotels and AirBNB have weekly and monthly rates available. I went the extended stay route because AirBNB wasn't a thing last time I major moved, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it the next go around.

6) You'll need to decide if it is worth it to you or not to move all of your stuff. We got rid of everything that would not fit into our car or ABF Relocube. Some people sell or giveaway everything instead of moving them because moving your household goods gets pricey fast. If you are coming without a job, you may need to also factor in the cost of storing your items for X amount of time before you get a job and can move out of temp housing.

7) If you couldn't find a job from your current location, about a week out, start filling out job applications like crazy. The hiring process at most places is pretty slow, so it is unlikely that you would need to be in the area sooner than a week from filling out the application. Don't go in expecting to land your dream job immediately. Apply for temp or part-time work too as a stop gap until you find the job you want. Be flexible. Money is money and many people run out of money because they are only willing to accept one type of work. My husband was offered a good, FT benefited position after a few weeks of temping, so even just temping can unexpectedly turn into steady work.

8) Have an exit strategy. Sometimes, no matter how well you plan, it just doesn't work out for one reason or another. Make sure you have a way to get out and back before you end up potentially stuck, broke and homeless.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. I'm slowly putting together another one of these cross-country moves about 3-4 years from now, so not done moving around yet. But I hope I am done with this next move. I can dream, I think.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,377 times
Has anyone on here moved from the Northeast to the South? We're considering it, and going down to TN after Christmas to check things out...but I'm not sure how well we'll be received. With 2 kids (10 & 13), that's a big consideration. We're just tired of the NJ craziness, looking for a slower, friendlier pace.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,494,274 times
I am moving to TN--Crossville next May when I retire. I will be moving with my two 13 year olds.

Now, I am moving from California, but I lived in the suburbs of Philadelphia for ten years.

I bought my retirement house 2 years ago as a fixer upper and fix it a little each time we visit and use it as a vacation home.

The people are friendly, but do NOT want to hear about how you do things from where you came from. They are small government, hence the lower cost of living, and do not want to fund all the things folks coming from other places may want.

Where I choose--Crossville--is full of transplants. My street has a lady from NY and a man from Detroit, and a couple from Florida, that previously was from 'up north' somewhere.

Some areas may not be as used to transplants. And some schools are more academic and some more geared to rural lives and jobs.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:36 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,034,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
The cons to small towns in the south, everyones nose is up your beezwax and talk about you behind yourback.. USUALLY. But the food is good and cot of living is low.

I would research towns/areas you think you like and go from there.
I agree. If you aren't used to small towns, then approach with caution, and if you like the difference at first, remember you may change your mind. If you really aren't used to it, maybe renting a house for a while would be good. And there are parts of town which are better and not, which may not be apparent to you.

I moved to Cushing, new home of the earthquake swarm, eight years ago, leaving a *very* crowded socal. Where I lived the smog was horrible so the blue skies here were awesome to see. One rule I follow now is NO smoggy places since I'm used to being able to breath. But it is a small town, especially if you discount the weekday population who only works here, and the motels which empty on weekends when the oil people go home, no matter if its slightly bigger than some.

The culture is very different than socal too. The plusses and minuses are many. Time lived here wins socially. The pace of life is much slower, a plus, but sometimes things just need to be done now, or quick. Much of the life in socal was too busy and I didn't miss it. But I do very much the variety. I miss finding friends in science fiction fandom. I miss the variety in people. Things got tumumtious and stressed before I decided to move, so the calm here has been good. But whatever was broken has healed, and I'm ready for more again.

I still feel uncertainty, but my son wants me to move to Utah with them, and do a basement apartment for me. I figured out the part of my house I actually use qualifies as tiny house size, so I can manage, and unlike here they have busses and rail and other forms of transportation if you don't want to be at home all the time.

The quakes, after the one a few weeks ago that was 4.8, are also part of the reason. The local politicaos are owned by the oil companies and not enough is ever going to be done. But I feel the same kind of discontent and the walls closing in as I did before, and while there are hard decisions still to be made, I'm sure I'm going to move.

I think about how us, as humans, became what we are because we did migrate, be it for chasing the game, or the better weather, or protection against heat or cold seasons. That drive is still within us, and those who are too tied to the security of the known may suffer them, but most still hear the lure of the wind and sky and embrase the chance for something new.

And then there's family. I grew up knowing my grandmother, seeing her and my aunt all the time. I want to know my grandchildren too. Having had family, and lost family, I want to be a part of the generations which leave memories behind.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:51 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,163,418 times
Ya I am from Texas but I am considering moving to Arizona and New Mexico but idk if it will ever happen.I almost moved to the Land of Enchantment last month but it didnt work out.Its fun to think about though.
-WT

Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 PM

796 posts, read 1,812,110 times
I'm moving from OCNJ to the Florida Keys over the course of the next few months. I will be making multiple trips to bring my vehicles and belongings. I am sure from comparing the employment prospects in the Fl keys versus NJ I will not make the money i do in NJ. I figure i ain't getting any younger and at this point in my life it's and only me and a few inherited older cats. I have some savings and also already own homes in NJ and FL so I am still going to be able to go back to my NJ home if I really wanted. I have a gut feeling I will love the Florida Keys. Strangely enough, I am slightly scared and looking forward to it too. Not liking the actual moving part but the once I get settled in and find a job I suspect it will be all good and a lot of fun in the sun. I am sure I will not make the money like you can in the northeast but the slower pace of Island life is what I am after. I just hope the cats don't mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues