U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 PM

947 posts, read 3,355,716 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share my expieriences on moving and some of my thoughts on relocation........

I am a radio broadcaster and have been for just a smidgeon over 4 years. I love every minute of what I do.

That being said... I've worked in Mississippi, Florida, North Dakota, New Hampshire and now, South Carolina. In 4 years, I've traveled almost 10,000 miles just to get to jobs.

I have lived in Alabama with a friend and COnnecticut with family was I was in between jobs, to regroup, and find another job.

I am 24 years old, and started looking for radio work when I was 16 or 17 and still high school. I was applying to all the local radio stations and I KNOW, I said to myself more then once, "I'm never going to move away from home".

Yet, one day, I was surfing the net and found out about a small station in Marks, Mississippi that was looking for staff members. It looked like a decent town, I lvoed the format... so I said to myself, "What have I got to lose? I don't have a wife, kids or anything keeping me here.. why not?!?!".. and I took the plunge, moving 1400 miles away from home... something my friends/family were quite surprised by and I thought I'd never do.

A friend drove me down and stayed for 2 days then drove back home. I have to admit, I was scared.. I actually cried because I missed my mother and father.. I was a month away from being 20 years old, alone, in a place where I didn't know anyone or anything. I called my mother every day for MONTHS.

My second job was in Cocoa, Florida, about 1 1/2 years after I got the first one. That went a bit smoother because I had been living on my own for almost 2 1/2 years at that point. I was better adjusted to living out of state.

My 3rd job was in North Dakota... all the way in the Northwest corner of the state in a town called Willisotn. I was VERY nervous. Why? It was the first job at a "real" radio station, I guess you could say.

My job in Dover, New Hampshire was only temporary and I couldn't stand the guy I was working for.

Here in Abbeville, South Carolina, the small town Im in.. everyone has been so friendly. I've made several friends and learned so much about the town I live in.

Moving is STRESSFUL! it is frightening! It can be very taxing on ones mind and body. There TONS of little things you have to take care right before and right after the move.

If you want to cry, go for it. It'll make you feel better and release some tension.. there's nothing wrong with crying.

One of the biggest, helpful suggestions I can give to people moving..

MAKE A LIST!

Make a list of EVERYTHING you want to bring with you to your new place...Make a list of everything you're throwing away/giving away/donating. Make a list of everything you need to buy before you move. Make a list of everything you need to buy right after you get to your new town. Make a list of everything that needs to be done once you're moved in.

Sure, thats ALOT of lists and you might forget something.. BUT....when you're able to cross an entire section off or throw away an entire list, it'll make you feel better, like you've accomplished something and you can go on to the next item. Having some control among your chaos is a good thing. Having a sense of accomplishment will make you feel REALLY good and motivate you to keep going!

Worried about making friends in your new town? Don't be. My biggest tip when in a new town.. BE FRIENDLY! When you're at the cash register in the grocery store.. tell the cashier you're brand new in town and wonder what there is to do, see and ask about good places to eat.

If you show people you are truly interested in learning about "their town", and that you want to be part of the community rather then an outsider, you'll do fine. They will welcome you with open arms. I've NEVER had ANY problems making friends wherever I've lvied.. maybe it's because of where I work, but I'm ALWAYS VERY POLITE in a new town, saying Yes Maam, Yes Sir, No Maam No Sir, Thank You Maam Thank You Sir.. and I'm always asking people what they can tell me about the town.. various bits of history, stuff about well known local residents and etc.. people LOVE telling you about the place they love, their town!

The biggest part I hate about moving? PACKING UP! It takes me, on average, 2 days to clean and pack up. How long does it take me to unpack when I get to a new place? maybe 2 or 3 hours!

The biggest part I LOVE about moving? Seeing a new lace is exciting I get to meet new people, be immersed in a different "local culture"... try new food, see and do new things....you may not realzie, but you will come away a much better, smarter person for having lived in a different place. It'll open your horizons to different people and places. That and I LOVE exploring.. hoping on my mountain bike and riding through town is fun on a warm weekend afternoon!

The more you stress, the worse things will be. The morse you stress and try to make things go perfectly, the more you will actually f^%k things up and have them go wrong.

This isn't the best idea, but have some of your comfort food with you right before and after you move.. a favorite candy bar.. a favorite bowl of soup. Why do I suggest this? Food soothes the soul.. and it'll help you relax....

I would be GLAD to share any other suggestions, tips, hints or ideas for people moving to an entirely new state..... If you have ANY quesitons at all, please feel free to ask! (I can't answer specific questions about much, but I can try to answer general questions, but if you have specific questions about the areas I've lvied in, feel free to try and ask.. and I'll try to answer)

Last edited by ComputerUser000; 12-16-2007 at 12:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:22 AM

634 posts, read 2,394,178 times
I can't tell you how comforting it was to read this. In 1987, I was 19 and moved from OK to CA with my new husband and I was scared to death. I had never lived anywhere but a small town in OK. I was scared and lonely and my phone bills reflected that, lol.

But also, there was so much to see and do and learn. And it made me a better person not having to rely on my parents to fight my battles for me, I learned to do it myself.

I have been in CA ever since and now we are packing up to move to Seattle. I leave in 2 weeks. Hubby is already there with all our stuff. We are in San Diego with sleeping bags on the floor and minimal clothes, etc. Kind of like glorified camping. I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 13 and cats and a whole house of stuff. It is terrifying and liberating moving like this. I've always wanted to live near the mountains.

Yet, I'm finding myself feeling kind of odd and weirdly so, sad, leaving this place. I don't like San Diego (strange i know, but that's a whole other story) and yet I guess it is comfortable. I am excited and nervous and anxious about Seattle.

Your post is very comforting and makes me realize that moving isn't permanent. If we don't like it, we're not chained to Seattle, we can move again if we wish.

Thanks again for your insight!!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:26 AM

947 posts, read 3,355,716 times
I'm glad I could be of some "assistance" and that my post was useful.

Now, it's just me and my 3 year old beagle dog, George..next to my work, he is my world ( www.walkerbroadcasting.com/pauldogoutside.jpg is a picture of me and him )

EDIT: I loved my time in North Dakota.. cost of living was low, the people were very friendly, the food was good and the area IS BEAUTIFUL! I'm hoping to return to the general area sometime soon.. ND..MT.. WY. I've also learned that I love colder winters and milder summers over warmer winters and humid summers.

You will learn ALOT about yourself, what you like/don't like and your priorities.

Last edited by ComputerUser000; 12-16-2007 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 06:49 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,837,142 times
Very good post of your experience RadioBroadcaster 2008!

I moved here in September from Cleveland. My son wasnt ready to make the move yet (school and girlfriend), so he stayed behind with his father in Cleveland. He is moving out here in January. But since he had lived with me since the day he was born, I got the daily phone calls and still do lol! We got on the same cell plan so "in calls" are free-->which hugely saves on the long distance bill I know I otherwise would have.

Another added advice: Unless you are really really familiar with the area you are moving to, use the internet and mapquest or some similar site. Most businesses have websites to "find nearest location to your zip". Obtain the maps to nearby places you will want or need to get to before you may know your way around town very well. Grocery stores, hospitals, libraries, post office, auto repair, schools, your job (lol!), other shopping, Starbucks (lol!), movie theaters, activities. Make a little book and keep it in your glove box-->you will use it. I was so so glad I did this. Now granted I was at least basically familiar with the area when I moved here, but this place is huge and remembering whether Costco was way on the other side of town or a few miles down the street, and whether it is near the grocery store, and how long to get to Kohls from there-->that can get a little stressful.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:18 PM

21 posts, read 122,783 times
Awesome post Radiobroadcaster! I'm planning on moving this coming April or May to Chicago. I don't know anyone there or have any ties there, but I feel the need to try to move somewhere on my own. I grew up in Milwaukee, moved to Clearwater, FL and lived with my Mom and Stepdad for 7 years and by myself for 2. Then moved to St. Augustine, FL and lived with them again for 5 more years, and am now in Jacksonville, FL and have been here for 2 by myself. So, this will be my first time moving on my own. I too have no ties, single, 34 years old, my truck just got paid off....why not? I am really excitied about it and have done my research (still doing it). I think I will try the list thing...good idea. I must admit, sometimes the thought of it makes me think "Why am I going to do this?" I start thinking am I going to find a job in time, will I be able to get an apartment if I don't have a job lined up, will my friends and family ever support me instead of trying to talk me out of it? Then I read more articles and think that I may not get a good chance to move again if I wait and then I get totally motivated! Thanks alot for your post! Chicago here I come!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:59 AM

797 posts, read 3,018,931 times
Thank you RB2008! Great story and advice! I'm going to add on to what you said a little...

I have moved a lot as a military kid, but it's different when you are older and get to call the shots. Still, I think alllll that moving we did when I was growing up is helping me now to prioritize what my needs are and keeps me focused.

The part about the crying seems like an obvious one, but it's so essential to success, IMHO. No matter HOW good the move is going to be for you, it's a change and it's a big one. You will be leaving people, places, history. Your stomping grounds, if even it was only for a little while, you left your footprints there and laughed and cried.

Now, you are moving on.

Accept the pain of the birth and embrace the new life before you.

Thanks again for your travelling wisdom!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 140,251 times
This thread is just what I needed.....I've been researching so many places, trying to narrow it down to where I can realistically start over. It's overwhelming & consuming all my time. Even when I'm not researching it's still on my mind. I have a lot to consider with this move & I don't want it to be a mistake, but where we are right now is so done for us. We should have gotten out a few years ago, & I really regret it now. I'm just so hesitant to move to a brand new state where we know nobody; yet I can't let that factor hold us back any longer. My main essentials for a new town for us are: safety, great opportunities for jobs, great college nearby, & decent weather...also must be affordable. I'm a single mom & I just need to do this already, but have no idea where to start.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM

41,494 posts, read 19,769,892 times
Thnk you so much for the supportive post, Radioguy! It really is helpful.
Now without a list I will go start to pack somethng to get started.)
I got myself out here and now I can get myself home; after living in California for 5 years I am ready to return to New England. If I had any control, I wouldnt have timed a move to Maine to occur in the winter--but sometimes the universe throws a curve. I am going to hang on tight and go for the ride.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

786 posts, read 3,652,988 times
We are also contemplating a move from CA (after 3 years here) to New England - family is in upstate NY. Friends here don't understand why we want to leave - any advice on how to handle? I feel bad for leaving the great friends we have made in the short time we have been here...but I can't wait to be in the same time zone as the rest of my family and have seasons again!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM

41,494 posts, read 19,769,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
We are also contemplating a move from CA (after 3 years here) to New England - family is in upstate NY. Friends here don't understand why we want to leave - any advice on how to handle? I feel bad for leaving the great friends we have made in the short time we have been here...but I can't wait to be in the same time zone as the rest of my family and have seasons again!
We have the same reaction; we live in San Diego County where the weather is pretty much perfect and where most people seem to be "from away" and came here for the weather. When we say we are moving to Maine, and you know it is still sunny here and back east its in the single digits and below!!!!
People thnk we are nuts to even think about returning to the "frozen north".

But then again people do understand "family". We have no family west of the Mississippi and my immediate family is all east coast--Maine and SC--and that includes two grandchildren who are growing up without me there to watch.

People don't so easily understand that I have come to really not like the climate out here. I miss the forests and ferns and moss and wild flowers of Maine and NH. The exotica of California did fascinate me for awhile...but most of it is a desert and not even a natural desert, most of the roadside scenery is brown and ugly. I want beautiful springs, followed by real summers, then the explosion of foliage and crisp days Indian Summers are the best, and then the inward turning of the deep frozen winters with the muffling snows and sparkling sun making the snow turn to diamonds and velvet purples in the shadows of the woods.

I long to be home again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues