Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times

Advertisements

I need to put stuff in storage for a while, including some nice furniture, and all the storage facilities around here only seem to have outdoor units. I'm a little worried about the possibility of flooding.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I just get a tarp and put it down on the floor, or get some wooden boards for the floor (or at least the part of the floor where the furniture would be) and put a tarp over that?

Also, best ideas on how to get all the stuff into storage? Only a couple of smaller items would fit in my car. Should I get a U-haul and use one of the moving helper services on their site for < $200? Or would a higher-cost moving service still be reasonably priced if they're just moving some furniture a few miles away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
I've got some stuff in a storage unit on the second floor of a climate control building. The building has an elevator. I'm sure there must be storage units around you somewhere that have two floors and are climate controlled. Just put your stuff in a U-Haul, drive over to the storage unit, and put your stuff in one cartload at a time. Bring a friend to help you.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
You might get some prices from small moving services, too. Something like Two Men and A Truck might fit your budget.

As for flooding, is the storage area you want to use in a floodplain? Try calling City Hall and they'll tell you who would know, maybe the county engineer?

Given the chance of being sued, I haven't seen too many storage areas in flood prone areas and most have some sort of grating for drainage if on flat ground but check for sure.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 PM

I'll check out Two Men and a Truck. Thanks. I don't think there's a great chance of a flood here, but you never know.

I couldn't find anything the right size available on an upper floor. I do need a fair amount of space, and I see a couple smaller upper-level climate-controlled units at different locations/companies, but everything else is outside or first floor. I'd rather only pay for one climate-controlled unit (or none) though. Hmm.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Even at Public Storage, their instructions are that you should not put anything too close to the wall, leave a couple inches, i guess for air or temperature changes, i dont know.. but thats what they tell you, and also even though it shouldn't have water damage, in the evant water may gather on the floor, you would keep your stuff in plastic tubs and also dont put your stuff directly on the floor in case water gets on the floor.. it may seem silly,but just doing these few things protect your stuff.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM

What about using something like PODS (keeping it at one of their secure storage facilities), or are they way more expensive than storage (+ paying a moving service to get everything into storage)? I'd be looking at storing my stuff for 6-10 months, I think, until I move it to my new place (no idea where yet).

Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I need to put stuff in storage for a while, including some nice furniture, and all the storage facilities around here only seem to have outdoor units. I'm a little worried about the possibility of flooding.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I just get a tarp and put it down on the floor, or get some wooden boards for the floor (or at least the part of the floor where the furniture would be) and put a tarp over that?

Also, best ideas on how to get all the stuff into storage? Only a couple of smaller items would fit in my car. Should I get a U-haul and use one of the moving helper services on their site for < $200? Or would a higher-cost moving service still be reasonably priced if they're just moving some furniture a few miles away?
A friend put most of his furniture in storage while deployed (he's single and was renting). He bought some concrete blocks a couple 4 x 8 sheets of treated OSB board. He cut the OSB to the sizes he needed for the storage unit, and put them on the concrete blocks to make a higher floor. For smaller items, or if you'll have clothes, bedding, etc., buy some Space Bags. Pack the bags up to the line, zip it shut, vacuum the air out, and you won't have to worry about water, mildew, or anything else getting in there.

Pods are way more expensive than storage units. I just checked rates online for a storage company here. Monthly rates go from $32/month for a 5' x 10' up to $97/month for a 10' x 30'

Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 PM

That sounds really cheap. It's more expensive here, and this isn't even an expensive area. It also varies quite a bit depending on the particular facility (which part of town, etc.).

Old 08-26-2014, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,840 times
Default Giffen Furniture Removals

Giffen Furniture Removals is one of the leading bacloading service provider in Australia. We provide interstate backloading services in south eastern coastal region of Australia.

If you are looking to store your item for some time then Giffen would be best option to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues