Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:08 AM

10 posts, read 23,714 times

Advertisements

I have read almost all the posts and everyone seems to be very clued up except me and was wondering if anyone can help me with my dillema. I am in huge dilemma right now I am a black South African female accountant in her twenties and have decided to move to the US but have no idea which state I want to move to. I have looked at all the data/info provided but it is so overwhelming. Can anyone please help share or bring to light on how I can do my research and come to a conclusion on which state and city I can move to?
The info is there, but can anyone just give me a quick summary about the states what to look for when it comes to work, places to live, social life and which state is the best state to move to and where not to move to?

The US is a very big place and I know I have start somewhere, but I just don't know where to start can anybody help a very confused person.

Cheers!
Eli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,216 times
This site may help you: http://top100.relocate-america.com/ (broken link)

Old 12-18-2007, 02:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Are you looking for an urban, suburban or rural environment?
Do you like warm weather, or are you ready for snow?

If we know those things we could start giving some suggestions.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:25 PM

21 posts, read 128,578 times
Most all of the states have something to offer. It all depends on what you are looking for. Like "aragx6" mentioned, what type of weather do you like? Are you looking to be in the big city with lots of people and be around everything or would you rather be in a place where it's quiet and less people? I think it depends on what type of personality you have also. Some people move to a city and find that they don't quite fit in. These are the basic questions to ask yourself as a starting point then let us know and we can help you better. There are endless options to choose from and I would think it would be very difficult to choose just one city to live in if you are coming from another country. As a matter of fact, there are lots of people that live here that have problems trying to figure out where to move to. The good thing is that you are young enough that you don't have to rush. Take your time. When you figure out where you would like to live, come to the U.S. for a visit for a week and see if you like it, although that could get expensive. As for work, you could get an accounting job anywhere. You would have to look for which employer would give you the best deal..(salary, benefits, perks). Good Luck.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 23,714 times
Thanks everyone this really got me thinking, because I have less than a year to actually get myself sorted out. I am currently busy jotting down what I really want and like because I have lived in London and Johannesburg and they are both hectic cities and now I am looking for a place with less traffic number 1# and good public tranport where they have good weather in Summer as well as snow (I like snow) in winter. What do you think of Denver Colorado? One of the companies I am currently working for have offices there as well as New York?

When I think of New York I think Lots of people, am I right or wrong? Because I think everthing depends on how far you live from work?

So far this is getting very interesting because I am learning a lot of new things and research is much more fun.

Cool!

I will definitely let everyone know if I have any more questions. I would like to say thanks to everyone really appreciate your assistance.

Eli

Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Hi Eli,

You have been to some cool places and now welcome to researching the US. Yes, you definitely picked the most diverse location to figure out where to live. the rest of the posters here are right, bottom line, you need to make a list of what you are looking for: the "must haves", desirable characteristics, and "must not haves". Don't forget to make a seperate list for the "maybe I"ll consider" or "Maybe I would like better" as you do your research. Truth be told, you have to see it to believe it. What one person thinks is great might not be to you. So, you must remember that when reading and asking for opinions over here.
Good luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Sounds like Denver could really work for you. New York is very densely populated and traffic- well that's New York's middle name. I don't know much about the availability of public transportation in Denver though...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:53 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Public transportation is going to be the biggest hangup because very good transit is only available in big cities.

Washington DC, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle?. These are the only ones I know about but there are more. I love NYC but it is a truly truly expensive city but no car is ever needed. I would not be able to afford it. Washington DC has a good metro and a very diverse population. Weather is kind of iffy but you are at the seat of government and there is a lot to do.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:01 PM

I always felt that there wasn't much to do in Washington D.C. at all. After you've spent a couple of weekends at the museums and monuments you're kind of done. there's not an overabundance of culture or good restaurants like there is in much of the rest of the eastern seaboard.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM

35 posts, read 112,464 times
Check out Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! to take a survey about what you want in a place to live. mod cut Also, I recommend if you do find a few towns you think my be a good fit, call the local police department, Chamber of Commerce, apartment guide managers. They can give you a better feel for the town/city.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues