Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM

98 posts, read 236,327 times

Advertisements

UGH! I'm searching car transport companies, even companies suggested on other threads, and finding nothing but bad reviews! BBB reports of C- and below, many with F grades.

Does anyone know of a reputable company??

We need to ship our mini van from Oregon to Florida quickly. The buyer of our house wants to close in only 13 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
We used AutoStar to arrange shipment. They arranged for shipping with Sunshine Transportation, picked up within a week.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 PM

403 posts, read 557,196 times
I'm in the same situation. I'm looking to ship a vehicle and can't determine a good company. The problem is that people are more likely to post bad reviews that good reviews. The same works with the BBB. A customer is more likely to report what they consider bad service than they are to comment on good service.

Unfortunately, too many people will give bad reviews about pretty much anything. For shipping an auto, they'll complain that their vehicle wasn't delivered as soon as they got to their new location. They'll post a bad review saying that the transport company damaged their vehicle because they saw a little scratch or a little dent that was more than likely there before, but the customer never noticed it before. Or they did notice it before and now they can finally blame somebody. A lot of people also just don't understand how something works and then gives a company a bad review simply because the customer failed to ask questions or didn't ask the right questions.

I'm not saying that's the case with all bad reviews, but I'd guess the majority of them are situations similar to what I've suggested in the this post.

It's also hard to find good reviews because honestly a very small percentage of people actually ship their vehicles when they move. The vast majority will rent a truck and trailer/dolly and transport the vehicle themselves, drive the vehicle, or sell it. I know a lot of people, but I can only name 2 that I know shipped their vehicle.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,712 times
I refer my clients to a company called "The Car Carrier" based out of California, covers all of US 800-800-1001

Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
I used to have a transport company I used a lot but then they retired. My last time I used a new one that was fine but I saw got couple bad reviews. My car one time with using a broker came back damaged and no one would take responsibility for the damage so I will never use a broker again.
Many of these transport companies make so many trips so though no one likes to read a negative review it could be out of huge number of transports.
What I always make sure is the insurance is up to date and covers enough. Make sure to do a good walk around and get a copy of no damage when the car is picked up.
Most car transports wont guarantee a date of drop off they just give an estimate but most times it is pretty close. I always have the car picked up a day before I actually need it just to be safe. I rent a car usually in my new state so the timing of when it gets there is not as big of a deal if off a day or 2.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 PM

339 posts, read 933,243 times
I don't know any reputable companies bcause I've never shipped a car before. I'm doing it for the first time in September. What I'm going to do is research 3 or 4 companies, check BBB for issues, call them, get prices, go with my gut and just pick the one I'm going to use. Just don't go with someone because they offer a ridiculously low price. I would rather pay $100-$150 extra for a company I'm comfortable with than saving the money.

DaniellaG is definitely right about doing a good walk around of your car on pick up and drop off.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
I'd do more than walk around it. I'd take date stamped photos or a camera phone video with the person who picks it up in the video to show the time and condition of the car.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM

98 posts, read 236,327 times
UPDATE:

We went with a company we thought we had researched well and shipped 2 cars. One had a truck bed liner, it was stolen along the way and the bed was damaged where the thieves ripped it out. The driver argued with my husband, got on his cell phone, and told us, "My boss say there is nothing he do for you. It not he's fault. I don't even think you have a liner when I take the truck" I thought he was going to come to blows with my husband, the driver was so angry that we asked where the liner was!

We are filing with their insurance company tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We used AutoStar to arrange shipment. They arranged for shipping with Sunshine Transportation, picked up within a week.
We used these guys too. AutoStar Transport and Logistics is their full name, I almost didn`t book with them as there was another company who had a similar name but with terrible reviews

Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Why not take a little time off and drive your vehicle yourself? Then you know it'll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues