Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is the my first forum post ever! In fact this is the first time I ever signed up for a forum. I use them quite frequently when searching for answers, but I came to a point in my research where reading a forum thread couldn't help me anymore so I decided to post my own. A little bit of info on me, I'm 18 will soon be 19, I'm attending a community college and I work part time making $8. I live in a small town way south in texas. There's not much here, it sucks. It's flat, nothing to do. Surrounded by tons of plants so the air doesn't even feel like fresh air. The weather here is extremely bad, it's so humid and hot. This place just really puts me in a down a** mood. So recently I brought up the idea of moving to Colorado to my girlfriend and at first she thought I was just kidding but I assured her that I was completely serious. I then gave her the reasons why I want to move and she agreed totally with all of my reasons. Colorado just seems like a wonderful place to live. We really enjoy being outdoors and over here there's really no point in going outside. There's nothing to see or do. But in colorado, you can go hiking in the mountains or skiing. Just being outdoors in colorado would be amazing. Also another thing is we would like to attend Red Rocks community college as this school had the degree plans we want, hers is computer science mine is engineering. I've read plenty of forums seeing how much we should save, how colorado is, going to school out of state and so on but I was still left with questions. Okay so the questions I have are as followed.

1. Is getting a regular job out of state impossible? (As in a job at places like verizon or best buy)

2. Would calling a potential employer after applying and letting them know your situation and that you could go down for an interview the following day help with getting the job?

3. Is $7,200 enough to survive for a few months in colorado if the job falls through?

4. Is getting an apartment hard when moving out of state if you have proof that you have enough money in the bank to pay for your apartment?

5. Does moving out of state exclude you from any financial aid assistance?

These are all my questions for now. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you in advance. Peace out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,989,006 times
1. No, but easier if you already have a job that can transfer
2. Probably better not to tell them unless you get an interview
3. Depends on lifestyle
4. Depends on if you rent a room in a house or apartment, or rent your own place from a private landlord or from a rental management company. The first 2 options may flex on you not having a job yet, but probably not the 3rd option
5. Meaning school loans? Most schools have a 1-year residency requirement for lower tuition. Hope you don't mean welfare

Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,997,992 times
1. If you mean a retail job, no way you're getting it from afar unless you work there now and can get a transfer. If it's a "real" job like some sort of software engineer or something, it's possible but still highly unlikely at the entry level.

2. Who are you going to call? It's very difficult to find useable contact information in most cases -- unless they contact you.

3. Depends on your bills and debt. It could be. Denver is a relatively expensive city though. You could try getting a private mailbox in Denver and living in a cheaper city like CO Springs or Fort Collins until you get a job, using your local address for local jobs and the Denver mailbox address for Denver jobs. (Though the college you mentioned appears to be near Denver.)

4. Yes, but you could try extended hotels, or airbnb, or craigslist looking for sublets or available rooms.

5. Dunno.

If you get more specific questions, you might also consider making a thread in the CO forum (or Denver or whichever specific city you like).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues