Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:12 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
How did they know what to steal? That sounds like something I would have taken in my vehicle. I'm nuts, all the jewelry, silver and computer stuff is going with us. And yes, it will all get wheeled into the rooms where we stay overnight.

It was a work paid for move. They paid for the packing and the moving. Every box was labeled and there was a register sheet that said what was in each box. One of my kid's B-day is Nov 28, the other is Dec 18, and then Christmas Dec 25. So the boxes were labeled kid's name birthday presents, kid's name party supplies, with a few boxes for each kid, then Christmas stuff was labeled as family presents, the kid's name presents, etc. so that I could easily find and have the appropriate boxes ready on the right days and people. So in looking at the inventory sheet of the boxes it was clear what boxes had the brand new stuff. Also, before the packing began the presents were all in separated piles with a paper tag on each pile and the driver saw and took interest in the piles. My kids were teens and had electronic things, cds, and collector dolls as their main presents.

And I had a small car, 2 teens, 3 cats, clothes, jewelry, most special collectable items, and basic pots/pans/kitchen stuff, to survive for the 2 extra weeks it was going to take for our stuff to come, and stuff to entertain the kids in the car, plus sleeping bags as we were camping in the house until our stuff came. So the presents were not coming in the car. It was already over packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The dryer=funny!

The presents=Really scrooge of the movers! I hope you were at least able to claim them. Awful.

Yes, the moving company paid the claim no problem. I had photos of what went into the boxes and receipts for everything the driver took! And I was very glad I took photos of everything too!

Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
I guess plainly labeled 'gifts' would've been too much to resist. Noted and thank you. Esp. taking photos.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:26 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
I pared down my books last year but since then I am praying to a different deity and will have to go through them again.
I had over 1,000 books, mostly reference because I was an ACT Item Writer back in the day, plus I wrote a lot of short reference articles. By rights, I should've sold most of them when the Internet research portion was stable, but I was a pack rat at that point.

Today, I'm down to less than 100 hard copy books, and I'll keep rotating those out: one new = sell one. There are just some reference volumes that are folly for me to part with due to power outages and emergencies. But I bought a Kindle and have converted to eBooks for the most part. Certainly the bubble gum fiction can go on those!

Hard copy books I keep no matter what:

- current first aid manuals (human and animal)
- drug and herbal references
- current computer manuals
- home repair
- Ball Blue Book (canning)
- nature ID books (edible weeds, trees, birds)
- one large fairy tale collection (for reading out loud to children)

- one copy paper box of about 20 total trashy romances, pot boilers, suspense, spy novels that I got for $1 - $3 at book sales (I carry these and read when I have to stand in line and worry about dropping my Kindle or I trade these or give to the seniors)

Old 07-18-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I guess plainly labeled 'gifts' would've been too much to resist. Noted and thank you. Esp. taking photos.
I learned from my first move to always take photos. It is hard to say it was a maple dresser with scrolls in the corners and 4 drawers, etc. and it is from the 1920's and worth XXX when you have no proof of what is missing and the inventory just says dresser. Photos seal any description and condition issues. And for cupboards, closets, shelves, etc. it helps to show what you had. I just walk through the house and photograph everything before we start...every piece for furniture, drawer contents, closet, stereo, tv, etc. It is well worth the hour of time, plus it will help if there is a fire or other natural disaster in the future.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
A few regrets:

Not being able to sell two big hulking desks my husband pressured me into buying ten years ago. They were huge and fit perfectly in our basement. They were also quite expensive. Unfortunately I was unable to sell them back east and we ended up moving them to basement free Texas. They were so massive they couldn't fit through our doorway in the rental. I tried selling them again here...no luck. Finally donated them to the Salvation Army after months of trying. A shame since they were solid wood and nice. I think they would go better in an office versus a home.

Not decluttering more. We moved tons of junk and much of it is hubby's. Now in the new house, stuff will sit out in the garage unfortunately unless I can motivate him.

Don't regret leaving stuff with the exception of some storage shelves. We were already heavy in our move and decided to give them to neighbors/leave in house. Had to buy all new ones here.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I've regretted throwing away all the stuff that I couldn't be bothered moving with me. Even plant pots. Lol. Everything costs money, so it's better to keep it than to try to cut corners with moving expenses by throwing away perfectly good household items.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
What I regret not moving: Lids to most of my pots. I think I must have forgotten to check that drawer underneath the oven. I had paid movers doing some of the packing and things got pretty crazy at the end.

Upcoming move should be a lot better. I've purged a ton of stuff (even got one of those Bagster mini dumpsters to get rid of a lot of it), donated bags upon bags of clothes plus lots of household items. And at least 50% of my stuff is already packed and has been moved to the garage so that the house shows better. So I think once I've sold and am packing up the rest, it should go pretty smoothly because it's all been sorted through already.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My husband had an office in our basement. I wanted to leave his desk behind, he refused. It took the movers FOREVER to dismantle and move it and we had no real place to put it (nor any need for something that big here). I'm the type of person that unpacks all their boxes within 3 days; part of that desk is still sitting in the garage, 4 years later.

I don't miss anything we got rid of, but we are not pack rats. Most of the stuff we got rid of was paperwork, we had a shredding truck come.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
A few regrets:

Not being able to sell two big hulking desks my husband pressured me into buying ten years ago. They were huge and fit perfectly in our basement. They were also quite expensive. Unfortunately I was unable to sell them back east and we ended up moving them to basement free Texas. They were so massive they couldn't fit through our doorway in the rental. I tried selling them again here...no luck. Finally donated them to the Salvation Army after months of trying. A shame since they were solid wood and nice. I think they would go better in an office versus a home.

Not decluttering more. We moved tons of junk and much of it is hubby's. Now in the new house, stuff will sit out in the garage unfortunately unless I can motivate him.

Don't regret leaving stuff with the exception of some storage shelves. We were already heavy in our move and decided to give them to neighbors/leave in house. Had to buy all new ones here.
That. Despite selling big ticket items, holding yard sales, donating quite a bit and throwing things away, we always moved too much stuff. Very little of it belonged to me.

I don't think that I've regretted getting of anything. With the next move, I will. I'll be dumping about 70%, seriously downsizing. That's going to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues