Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,579 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm completely new to this and have been reading a lot on this forum about Uhaul, Pensky truck rentals etc. This wouldn't be an option for us, so we're looking for a different option: is there such a moving company/service that will come to your house put all your belongings that you want to move (clothes, furniture etc.) and will drive it to your new location (we're in NYC and moving to Dallas, TX) and will unload all your stuff in the new home?
Also, do you know approximately (roughly) how much this kind of service would cost?
Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM

415 posts, read 2,333,770 times
All your major moving companies will take care of this for you.

You will want to get at lest 3 in home written estimates

Companies to contact would be
Mayflower,
United,
Atlas,
Bekins,
Allied,
North American.
There are many more, but these 6 are the largest companies with some of the best drivers

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
You could try this simple on-line estimator here : Movesource: Moving Cost Calculator: Budget: Long Distance

No idea how accurate it is as there are many variables like actual weight, apt vs house, time of year, storage, etc.

Tried NYC-Dallas with 8000 pound ( 3 bedroom house) = $7654

Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
Be aware that the actual cost for such services will probably be higher than the initial estimate provided by the shipper. Also, you have to pack everything in boxes. No wrapping the TV in a blanket.

It is better that you pack your fragile items yourself

Old 07-18-2014, 10:55 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,129 times
We made a move out of NJ last summer using Allied and were very pleased. I can DM you the specific agent if you want. Our friend used them as well and was pleased. They were pricey but there was no haggling and the move went flawlessly. In fact we came in 2,500 lbs overweight and they had to eat the cost!

I about pulled my hair out last year with some of the flakey moving companies that started bombarding us with phone calls. After numerous calls and some bad experiences, we went with a larger carrier who got top ratings off Angie's List. They were worth it.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
Agree with the flaky calls. We got that when we started looking. We used a Upack trailer by ABF/Old Dominion. Had to get my own crew but costs were well below what other carriers were quoting and we had solid numbers, actually came in lower than expected.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 31,133 times
The best advice I can give you is to get a in-home estimate. There are driving factors like i.e. weight, miles, packing, trailer access on origin & destination, insurance etc.

If you need assistance let me know. I have a relationship with a well respected agent for United Van Lines located in NYC that specializes in house-hold goods move.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
We moved from PA to Dallas last year, for packing and moving the cost was about $7000. Make sure you choose a company that gives you an in home estimate.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,579 times
thank you all! At this moment, we are considering leaving all furniture behind and just renting a 5x8 uhaul to pull with hour car. This may change, but thank you for all your tips!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareready View Post
thank you all! At this moment, we are considering leaving all furniture behind and just renting a 5x8 uhaul to pull with hour car. This may change, but thank you for all your tips!!!
We did that moving west to east. Honestly so much easier. The decor here is very different you may want new stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues