Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 19,249 times

Advertisements

Planing to relocate from from Arizona to Florida. I am considering renting a Penske truck and pulling my car behind it on a trailer. I will have a freind with me to share the ride and the driving. We will not be in a huge hurry, we can take our time. I have driven cross country several times but it was in a car. Am I crazy to consider this? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 AM

30,365 posts, read 16,090,257 times
go for. no reason not to.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,574,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShantiAnahata View Post
Planing to relocate from from Arizona to Florida. I have driven cross country several times but it was in a car.
That isn't an especially challenging drive in terms of elevations, so that's one plus. Your past experience is a second plus. One concern would be cross winds from severe t-storms. A more experienced driver would know better when to go and when to hole up in a hotel.

My main suggestion is to watch the weather carefully and avoid being on the road during adverse conditions. Don't underestimate the torrential downpours! They can reduce visibility to mere feet. You want to be safely off the road when those hit. This summer has been especially bad for those and tornadoes. Also be aware of wet roads. Slow down and increase your stopping distances.

My other suggestions:

- Make sure the parking lots at your chosen hotels will be big enough for your truck and car trailer and that there will be enough space for all of the guests. You do not want to have to back in along the side somewhere. This may not be the time to go with the really, really cheap hotels. Pull-through parking is best.

- Pick hotels that have restaurants or are across the street from restaurants. Eat a nice breakfast and dinner out. Pack a cooler for lunch and eat in a rest area. That will save some money (food is expensive at truck stops) plus give you a nice break without worrying about parking.

- Have enough money for at least three extra days in case of problems. Carry phone numbers of all people along your route who could possibly help in case of problems. Let everyone know where you are and keep them updated, in a secure manner. That is, don't post your location in an open forum that criminals can read.

Lastly, have as much fun as you can! If you get enough sleep and eat well, that's half of the battle. Moving is a pain in the behind but with some planning and a positive attitude, it can be a good adventure, too.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Also, I don't know what shape both of you are in, but you might consider building up your arms a bit before the trip with some light weights. I carry one-pound weights and do arm lifts during and after my evening walking session. This is only so you'll have a bit more stamina and that touch of extra strength if the rig is hit with a cross wind. You'll have power steering but it's still useful to have a little upper body strength. We women tend not to work on that . . .

Old 07-27-2014, 06:33 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,998,831 times
1 lb?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
1 lb?
I'm 55. I was told to start with 1 lb in each hand. Walmart has them.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,245,527 times
A couple of things -

You want to make sure the truck is packed tightly so things don't shift around when you make a turn or a quick stop and make you go out of control. Things should be somewhat balanced with nothing especially more heavy on one side than the other. Heavier things should be loaded first.

You have to stay conscious of the length of the truck plus the car when turning and parking. You really don't want to clip somebody or cause an accident. Pull thru parking is something to look for and is often advertised. Backing up would be a nightmare you want to avoid.

Before you start out check the car trailer's connection and safety chain and make sure the car is secure. Drive the setup around a parking lot for a bit before you go out on the road till you get the feel of it. Pull out slowly and stop the same way pumping the brakes if need be. You'll have a lot of weight and it won't be like driving a car. Keep in mind that some drivers will pull stupid moves in front of you and be prepared. And yes, the wind will affect you.

It might be a good idea to look into getting triple A for Rv's if they will apply it to this rig.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Thank you all sooo much for this advie and the well wishes. We're gonna go for it. We traveled cross coutry once before and get along very well.Both of us are bery relaxed and calm Honestly, we are both in incredible shape. My friend met her husband at a gym that she owned...also had her pic in Muscle and Fitness years agao and has stayed in shape. I work out regularly. Not crazy strong but am close to benching my bodyweight. I guess it all pays off.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM

Meemur expecially thanks for the info about the elevations and the tip on checking the weather reports. We will allow extra time for that in case we have to stay off the road.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:14 AM

9,895 posts, read 9,536,550 times
Wait a minute, if she is going from Arizona to Florida, aren't there some mountains she has to cross when she gets near one of the southern states like Georgia? The mountains that go up to Pennsylvania I mean. The Appalachians, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues