U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 AM

204 posts, read 809,669 times

Advertisements

We're moving to another state right after Christmas. It's about a 7 hour drive. The packers will be here the day after Christmas and then the moving truck will come the next day. We're doing a good bit of the packing ourselves.

Do you tip the packers and then the movers separately? What would be an appropriate amount? I've never made a long-distance move before, so I have no idea how much to tip them.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:05 AM

17,833 posts, read 31,696,722 times
personally I would hand the packers a small tip when they get there and tell them "this is to say thanks in advance for the great job I know your going to do" I would also order in a couple of pizzas for lunch.
Folks may say thats going overboard but they are packing my stuff and I will do what I have to to make sure they go the extra 10 yards. I personally hate the packing part of a move so if someone is doing it I have no problem with slipping them $20.
Can you find out if the packers and loaders will be the same team ?
Chances are they will be different folks.
If you have extra heavy stuff or lots of stairs and depending on how many they send if just 3 (usually 2 that moves the stuff and the supervisor) I would give the guys that actually did the heavy work $20 each. If it is easy moving $10. This also can vary depending on what part of the country you are in.
Just remember to give the tips directly to each person. When I did this I was thanked and told that had I given it to the supervisor they would not of seen the tip.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:50 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,214,983 times
I did tip each person. I tipped the packers about $25...having a tip does make a person do a little extra for you. I then tipped the movers when they came and delivered. It depended on the job they did and how much they tried to rape me once they arrived (many movers try to throw in extra costs: step fee, extra step fee, long walks...). So depending on if they brought it to each room as marked, didn't charge me extra, didn't scratch any walls bringing the stuff in, didn't damage any of my items...that's how I would tip them.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:32 AM

415 posts, read 2,269,394 times
Most of time, the crew that loads the truck is not the same crew who of loads. The driver will pick up, his crew for loading at origin ad his crew for off loading at destination. Once in a while you will find a driver who has a crew who travels with him. You will want to ask the driver where his crew is from. and consider tipping at both load and delvery

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 PM

2,140 posts, read 7,546,351 times
I tip $20-$26 per person

Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM

95 posts, read 481,246 times
Six months ago we moved from Ca. to Ar. After the movers loaded up our truck before our move they asked for a gratuity. We gave them $80.00 because that's all we had at the time. When they called us to let us know they were close to Ar. to drop off our belongings the price which we agreed to had drastically changed! They wanted $1500 plus dollars MORE than what we agreed to on paper. They told us that if we did not pay this money AND in CASH we would not recieve our belongings. They would auction off our stuff! We had no choice but to pay and then they had the nerve to ask for a $200.00 gratuity. It makes me sick that these companies get away with ripping you off and then asking for a gratuity. Be forewarned, be sure to read the fine print and clearly undertand what you are getting yourself into. Also, had just as bad an experience moving one of our cars....

Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,303,232 times
There was a discussion about this not long ago and many people tipped each mover nearly $100. I thought that was a bit high, but I suppose it depends on the circumstances. Thanks for all the great info; I'll be moving in the spring and this has been very helpful.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:29 AM

5,080 posts, read 14,057,072 times
I would never tip a mover anything.
I pay them an hourly wage or a contracted fee.
If they want to get tips they can get a job waiting on tables.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 AM

6,712 posts, read 12,949,758 times
When I moved, the military paid for everything. I was still kind of wondering if I should tip the guys or not. I came to this conclusion: I bought them all lunch (pizza and hotwings) and figured it was a small price to pay for some guy to hopefully not bash my stuff in.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM

13,139 posts, read 19,434,405 times
I have made two moves in the last few years. Both were local and I used the same moving company. Each time, I found the men did a fantastic job. They were prompt, polite, fast and efficient. They did not try to pad their time sheets. I gave a crew of three and then four $50 each. I felt they had earned it and then some. A tip is for good service and these guys were outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues