Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't be much of a problem, but watch his diet before you leave, especially with wild birds such as Mynas. This is especially a problem with cats since they have 9 lives and are therefore, essentially, deathless.

One doesn't want to be caught transporting a myna with an immortal purpose across state lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwriting View Post
I'm moving in November and am trying to figure out how to move my cat. He usually does well on car trips and he's spent some time in the cat carrier, so that's not a problem. I'm more worried about shots and stuff, do I need to get my cat any special shots before we move? To the best of my memory he's up to date. Do I need a note from his vet saying he's healthy? Or can I just stick the cat carrier in the back of the car and drive to Arkansas?

If your moving to Arkansas then I would suggest calling a vet in the Arkansas town your moving too. They would know what you need legally. I doubt there is any big deal here, people move animals all the time. I did it several years ago, my cat moved 600 miles. He did good, I let him roam the car after I got on the highway and he slept under the back seat. My cat is very calm, so I felt comfortable letting him out. When I got to my new home I took him to the vet and I needed no new shots for him, they only needed his old vet record to verify his shots. I worried about moving a cat too, but it really was not a big deal.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I don't think you will be asked for your cat's papers if you get pulled over. Worry about this stuff when you arrive at your destination.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
When I moved cross country I did make copies of the rabies certificates for all 4 dogs and the cat and had them with me but the rest of their medical records were boxed up. I had my old vet fax pertinent info about them after I settled on a new vet.

I did have, and occasionally use, a harness on the cat so that she could spend a little time out of the RV that I'd rented because we took about 10 or 11 days on our trip. I also had a small, collapsible wire dog crate meant for the youngest of my dogs if need be but I found that the cat seemed to appreciate being able to get out of the tiny bathroom of the RV to enjoy some time in the sunshine while safely ensconced in the crate. I had to keep her in the bathroom because one of the dogs was newly adopted and he seemed to think that maybe the cat would be a tasty meal. They eventually became best buddies and she loved to snuggle with him and kneed him snicce he was part Great Pyrenees and had a thick coat.

I hope that you have a pleasant, uneventful journey.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
As long as you're keeping your cat on the mainland, there shouldn't be any paperwork or vet work necessary to take your cat along. Once you get off the continent, then things change.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM

73 posts, read 119,207 times
If you are renting, your landlord/lady may require up to date shot records (mostly rabies), otherwise if it's in the mainland, there shouldn't be much. My cat has a chronic condition that requires medication. I'm moving out of state and will take her to the vet for one final check up before I leave, get a copy of her records, refills on prescriptions, and a rabies shot, and she should be good to go. If your cat is healthy, you might not need to do all that.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
I think the only time you need a health certificate from a vet when moving an animal from state to state is when flying them and I do not believe that all States or airlines require them but could be wrong. I did get one when I adopted Chaos and flew her from Texas to California as the airlines required it be taped to her crate. I have crossed State lines with dogs and other animals before, even with a raccoon when I was a kid back in 1970 and never had a problem.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:42 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
My daughter took her cat on a plane twice when moving and had to show them his vax. Move and drive them across state lines, which we did, and you don't need to show anything. A cat is not a dog that you have to walk in public. An indoor cat is going to expose, or bite, WHO to any diseases? My cats are not innoculated, and neither am I. Maybe you need to worry more about ME than my cats???? lol

Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Just be sure that your cat has a rabies vaccination considered recent enough to be valid in all of the states you will be travelling through; it's not the same for every state. Have the vaccination records with you. Accidents can happen with frightened cats who have never bitten anyone before.

Be sure to buy a collar and a tag with your current phone number. When I lived in a small city on I-80 I constantly saw ads for cats who had jumped out of cars and were lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues