Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:57 PM

162 posts, read 677,623 times

Advertisements

FYI - if you rent a cargo truck to move, from say Penske, U-Haul, etc. it is NOT normally covered under your personal credit card insurance or auto insurance in the event you are in an accident. A rental CAR yes, usually. What they deem a cargo truck, which in this case is anything other than a standard pickup is not covered under your Platinum or Gold card membership or regular auto insurance if you damage the truck in any way.

We learned this the hard way after being told time and time again to always decline the insurance for the rental. When the lousy truck we rented coasted in to our garage (it was parked and the brake was set) it not only damaged the house but the truck. There was a quick dispute as to who was responsible and that's when we found out this coverage does not apply. In the end it was mechanical failure of the truck so we were covered.

So for the sake of a hundred bucks if we ever rent a cargo truck again, we will take the insurance. We'll still pass on the rental cars though since that's covered. Check with your own insurance company or credit card company to be certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 PM

35 posts, read 112,891 times
debidibly, thanks for the heads up. I was aware about the insurance and was factoring it into my cost if I went with Penske.

I can either do P.O.D.S. for a little under $3000 for a 16' unit with insurance and tax, all inclusive. Or I can do Penske 16' truck with a tow dolly, plus insurance and gas (est $450) totaling a little under $2000.

On one hand, I'd love to spend as little as possible. On the other, I want to be as safe as possible. My company is giving me $5000 to relocate so anything left over is all mine and I sure would like to pay off some debt. But I'm on my own doing this and I'm being a Nervous Nelly about the towing. I'm still not sure what to do. Ugh!!! I hate being so indecisive.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:43 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
Rent the truck..have some friends/coworkers over for a packing party and make the drive.

I'd be willing to bet you'll come out MUCH cheaper that way.. not to mention proving to yourself that you can do it.. and that it was really no big deal..

Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,785 times
arena73 i'm thinking of doing the same thing you are and i have similar concerns. i'll be driving from phoenix, az to upstate ny hauling my beetle. i've driven a good size truck before, no problem, but towing the car is another thing!! i think i can do it though and i think you can too!!! just take your time, slow and steady wins the race

Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 AM

artyst, rrufast and Dave1215, thanks for the votes of confidence. I've decided though to go with PODS. If I had more time to plan out my move and it wasn't during the winter (a particularly harsh winter in the midwest), I would definately do Penske and tow my car. I'm so stressed out right now about just the packing and loading of my stuff that adding the stress of towing the car is just too much.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. Send some good mojo to me from 1/9/08 to 1/11/08 somewhere between NC and NE. I'll need all the help I can get.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Good luck. Curious what type of work you got in Lincoln (I'm in Nebraska) and please join the Nebraska forum - let us know on there when you arrive. Good Luck and Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,430 times
Please!!!! Think outside the box on this for a moment!! If your company is giving you 5000.00 for the move and it will cost you 2000.00 to 3000.00 to "Move" your stuff, then consider leaving, donating, selling ALL your stuff and load your car with what you can and buy all new stuff on the other end. FORGET about packing, loading, moving, worrying, struggling with the old stuff.If you must, have a hitch installed on your car for 250.00 and rent a small trailer for rest of your stuff if you must. Simplify, travel light, reinvent your self and your "stuff" on the other end. Forget about the big truck and tow dolly. Tow dollies are not easy to use. Please keep this simple. If I could I would give you a big hug and tell that everything will be fine. I cannot so I will only tell you remember, always think outside the box, and always do the math first. Que Sera Sera. Richard. AKA { OPA }

Old 01-02-2008, 03:00 AM

109 posts, read 451,803 times
Can't get a hitch for my car, I already tried! And since it is a little 4cyl they won't let me tow a trailer..... Guess I will also have to find another way.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM

Default I'll let you know

Ucandoit, I'll let you know how it goes with PODS. When are you scheduled to move?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

398 posts, read 818,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arena73 View Post
I need some guidance. I just found out I am relocating to Lincoln, NE for my job. I leave my job in Wilmington, NC on January 7th and have to be in Lincoln, NE by January 13. Others who have recently relocated used the upack services and loaded up storage boxes but didn't like to have to wait 2 weeks for their stuff. I don't have a problem waiting but like most people, I would like to move with my stuff and have the move / drive done at the same time.

A little about me. Single, female, early 30s, fiercely independent. I have driven cross country alone in a car. My last relocation from NY to NC was in January 2005 and I drove a 12' truck, no towing though. I have no problem driving in the winter weather or operating a big 16' truck. I have no issue driving alone either. My concerns are:

1. I have a 1-bedroom apt and even with a washer and dryer, I'm pretty sure I won't use all the space in the truck. All that empty space seems unsafe.
2. My 2001 Taurus on the tow dolly causing safety issues with the truck.
3. Driving through the mountains of NC into TN in the truck.

Because I am leaving so soon, I only have time to give away some stuff but no time to sell stuff. And I'm not giving away a $700 couch or donating my barely used washer and dryer. Definately there are some things I will sell just to get rid of b/c I don't use them. I don't have the luxury of selling my car or upgrading to an SUV. And then again this is a 1400 mile trip. Just how much $$ will I be spending for gas with a 16' truck?

There are so many options and so little time to make decisions. Rent a truck and tow dolly as planned? Ship stuff in upack box and drive my own car? Rent the truck and ship the car? I have no one else to ask but you dear, sweet internets. What would all you experienced relocators do? If I were your sister or daughter or niece, what would you say?

Don't worry...rent the truck with the tow package. You will be fine. Yes, you will be slower going over mountain passes, but the truck will have no problems. Make sure when you pull in somewhere, that you can get out without backing up. Most rental trucks are diesel which costs more than regular gas, but you will find you can go for hundreds of miles on one tank. I think you would be happier traveling with all your stuff and your vehicle. If something happens to the truck you can always use your vehicle as a back up. I am a woman that has driven several rental trucks through a number of odd situations, towing a vehicle, and did just fine. Normally, I am just a regular driver on the road and have no specific driving skills for trucks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues