Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Considering a potential move next year from Los Angeles to Atlanta. I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier 4cyl with a Extended 6' bed. I plan to put my 2 motorcycles in there (900 lbs) and then tow a small 4x8 Uhaul trailer like this one (empty weight -850 lbs + probably 200 lbs in load):

U-Haul: 4x8 Cargo Trailer Rental

Question is... I plan to go really slow so will probably have to make 5-6 overnight pit stops along the way. Any strategies to stop potential theft during the night when staying at a hotel?

I'm guessing theft is pretty common and thieves are driving around motels looking for setups like this where they can easily detach the trailer or break into a truck or steal a bunch of motorcycles in the truck bed.

Woman Loses 'Whole Life' in U-Haul Theft - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
a couple things that may help, which we've done when pulling trailers back and forth between SC and WI.
For one unless you're using a bumper hitch, make sure you have a locked pin to hold your receiver in place. See what you can do to lock the trailer coupler onto your ball (if there's a spot a padlock can go thru). Consider chains to hold down the bike to the bed.

For us we've stayed at hotels that were in well lit spots, that had parking for trailers/busses (not only for ease of parking but they tend to be lit up better and may have cameras). Perhaps get a room that overlooks the parking spot you'd be in as well. We never had a problem, and one trip had a mustang on a transport and another were pulling a Ranger boat (nor did anyone break into the uhaul trucks we were using either). And if the hotel being considered is rated poorly and has reviews commenting on damage/loss, find another spot that doesnt.

That said, trouble can happen anywhere and a "good" thief is only slightly slowed down by locks and chains. But at least to me if one remains vigilant then there's a good chance they will be trouble free.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:41 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
You can also get alarm locks. They make a shrill sound if someone tampers with them.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
You can also get alarm locks. They make a shrill sound if someone tampers with them.
I like this idea, I should look into it.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Also, I was advised to back the trailer into a spot, preferably against a wall. They'll have to also steal your vehicle that way, or figure out how to get it out of the way.

I traveled from Bellingham, WA to Nashville, TN in a squareback VW loaded to the rafters with stuff. I did the back-in technique, and had no trouble. That was a long time ago, and I stayed at Best Westerns all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues