Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:09 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times

Advertisements

You're my s/hero.

If you've done this, what is your reason for doing it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 11:17 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Job transfer. I was too young to retire. HA! I doubt I'll ever be able to "retire."

Hey, the move is not a big deal. Getting rid of stuff acquired from 17 years in the same house is a much larger job, and if you have four - six months to do it, it's not that bad. Pace yourself and get massages or other non-food rewards for your work.

OP, do you have a long-distance move staring you in the face? Or are you trying to work up the motivation to reboot your life?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Did it twice over 50. Not easy, but better than settling in a place you don't like or hate. You can think of it as a gift--better than people who cannot move or those who have no, absolutely no resources to move. Although difficult, the alternative is probably worse.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Job transfer. I was too young to retire. HA! I doubt I'll ever be able to "retire."

Hey, the move is not a big deal. Getting rid of stuff acquired from 17 years in the same house is a much larger job, and if you have four - six months to do it, it's not that bad. Pace yourself and get massages or other non-food rewards for your work.

OP, do you have a long-distance move staring you in the face? Or are you trying to work up the motivation to reboot your life?

Well, I live in Ohio and have STRONGLY considered moving to Atlanta, which is 8.5 hours drive away. The issue is lining up a job and I'm losing patience with it. I really cannot stand being in Ohio any longer.

BTW, I'm 40y/o

Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Did it twice over 50. Not easy, but better than settling in a place you don't like or hate. You can think of it as a gift--better than people who cannot move or those who have no, absolutely no resources to move. Although difficult, the alternative is probably worse.

You said it best.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Well, I live in Ohio and have STRONGLY considered moving to Atlanta, which is 8.5 hours drive away. The issue is lining up a job and I'm losing patience with it. I really cannot stand being in Ohio any longer. BTW, I'm 40y/o
I was in Columbus (OH). I hear you on Ohio! It's becoming too much like MI was in the early 1980s with the huge haves vs. have not culture, higher taxes, fewer decent jobs. I do miss hanging out in Berlin (Amish Country) and sailing to Kelley's Island, but Des Moines is like being back in MI, but with a much improved economy. I've "come home" in many ways, albeit with more sunshine in the winter. It was the first year in a long time that I didn't suffer at all from SAD.

Try to spend some time in Atlanta shopping for groceries and doing the sorts of errands you would do at home before committing to that move. The pace is much slower and there are some significant cultural differences that may or may not bother you. We Great Lakes residents are used to a faster pace in business, among other things. Then again, others have adjusted just fine, and you might be among them.

You might also want to look into TX, depending on your field. If you are okay with the heat, you might have better luck there, depending on your skill set and how "young" you can look.

Unfortunately, there is age discrimination all over.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks....

Actually, I've been to Atlanta 6 times in 3 years. When I go, I do just want you've suggested. I do what a local would do. I've never done any of the touristy things.

I love the city. It's a cool place for my next career move, which is business ownership. I plan to buy a business as opposed to start one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was in Columbus (OH). I hear you on Ohio! It's becoming too much like MI was in the early 1980s with the huge haves vs. have not culture, higher taxes, fewer decent jobs. I do miss hanging out in Berlin (Amish Country) and sailing to Kelley's Island, but Des Moines is like being back in MI, but with a much improved economy. I've "come home" in many ways, albeit with more sunshine in the winter. It was the first year in a long time that I didn't suffer at all from SAD.

Try to spend some time in Atlanta shopping for groceries and doing the sorts of errands you would do at home before committing to that move. The pace is much slower and there are some significant cultural differences that may or may not bother you. We Great Lakes residents are used to a faster pace in business, among other things. Then again, others have adjusted just fine, and you might be among them.

You might also want to look into TX, depending on your field. If you are okay with the heat, you might have better luck there, depending on your skill set and how "young" you can look.

Unfortunately, there is age discrimination all over.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Thanks....

Actually, I've been to Atlanta 6 times in 3 years. When I go, I do just want you've suggested. I do what a local would do. I've never done any of the touristy things.

I love the city. It's a cool place for my next career move, which is business ownership. I plan to buy a business as opposed to start one.
You know what you're getting into, then. I hope your plan works out. It's tough buying and running a business, but if you can make a go of it, it's yours and you're not dependent on just one manager/boss who wants to replace you with some eye candy or someone younger who'll cost less for insurance.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I moved to Vegas in 2008 when I was 52. Drove myself in a VW Bug with all my stuff and 2 German Shorthaired Pointers. From Minnesota to Nevada. I just couldn't take another MN Winter!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I just couldn't take another MN Winter!
You got out just in time, too! Last winter was a doozy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues