Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 PM

678 posts, read 697,442 times

Advertisements

I've been struggling lately. Im in the process (idea) of moving to New York but i haven't been saving up correctly. I can still go this year to New York, sublet a place for a month while a find a job but Ill only have about 1000 left over for that month. Should i stay and save more or should i go? Every bone in my body is telling me to go to New York City but i just don't know when?? I KNOW I'm meant to be there and i know i can find work but i don't want to risk not being prepared and having to move back. BUT i want to move out as soon as possible and I want to hurry up and i want this move over with what do I do!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
How much will the rent cost for that month?

Does the $1,000 you have left over go for food and bus and cabs? That gives you $250 a week. You might have to eat beans and rice, but it may be worth it for a month or two.

Can you do any of this job hunting by phone or emails?

Dont move all your stuff, just put your stuff in storage and then go to NY for a month. See how it works out. You wont know till you get there. Worse comes to worst and you will be out there a month and then can come back here.

You will have to take the risk, but thats part of the excitement. You wont know till you get there and if you dont go, you'll probably always be wondering WHAT IF.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 PM

678 posts, read 697,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
How much will the rent cost for that month?

Does the $1,000 you have left over go for food and bus and cabs? That gives you $250 a week. You might have to eat beans and rice, but it may be worth it for a month or two.

Can you do any of this job hunting by phone or emails?

Dont move all your stuff, just put your stuff in storage and then go to NY for a month. See how it works out. You wont know till you get there. Worse comes to worst and you will be out there a month and then can come back here.

You will have to take the risk, but thats part of the excitement. You wont know till you get there and if you dont go, you'll probably always be wondering WHAT IF.
Cab or 24 hour train/bus system?
Ill use public transportation

Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
If you're safe where you are, and have housing, etc., wait a little longer. If you go with more money, you'll be more relaxed and finding a job will probably be easier because you won't have "stressed and desperate" written across your forehead.

I know waiting sucks, but if you can wait and save up some more, you're more likely to be successful.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Go with your your gut. The perfectly planned and saved for move isn't always what is necessary. If it truly feels right in your bones to go, then go. Is it really your true gut instinct or your impatient desire? Only you know the answer. Your instincts won't fail you. I moved almost 2,000 miles four years ago without a job or apartment lined up. Ballsy move, but I was going with my instincts the entire time. I even landed a job and them turned it down. (Something tells me that driving away in tears from an interview where I was just hired isn't exactly a great sign that a job is right for me...lol). By following my gut all the way the Universe provided. I landed a job a few days later at the RIGHT place, landed the perfect apartment, and it all just worked out.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I may be misunderstanding the OP, but if you only have enough to cover yourself for one month, you don't have enough saved up to move, particularly not to an expensive place like NYC.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:26 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Is it better to be prepared? or go with your eyes closed
I can't believe anyone is even asking this question

Old 09-11-2014, 12:08 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
I answered this question above already with my thoughts. I just want to make a couple more things clear.

1. I moved almost 2,000 miles to a place where I had family. I had a temporary place to stay if I didn't get a job or apartment right away. I would not have been able to stay with that person more than a few weeks, but I did have a place.

2. I had money to cover living expenses while I searched. I kept the money for first month's rent/deposit on a new apartment and living expenses separate. I was not going to allow myself to ever dip into the money I'd saved for an apartment.

So yeah, the plan needs a solid foundation. I am just saying you don't always need it planned down to the very last detail.

Even if you have nobody in NYC is there a cheap motel you can rent out while you look for a place? Some kind of plan B? I think moving to NYC is more complicated than moving to most places, but again, your gut instinct will tell you when its time.

And about job hunting.... Looking for a job isn't just put in a couple apps a day plus a nap. Pounding the pavement, visiting Job Service, being online browsing listings, filling out and returning apps, IS your full-time job (that means all day long) every day until you find one. And don't just go to where they look like they are hiring. Some of my best jobs were places where they didn't even have an ad in the paper, I just walked in.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Play out the scene in your head of being prepared versus not being prepared & see where each could go...

Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,566 times
If you KNOW you can find a job, then find one, then move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues