Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 02:43 PM

9,895 posts, read 9,536,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With an attitude like that it's no wonder you don't know anyone yet.. They probably don't want to know you...
Well, the OP is miserable and crabby, so she cant help snapping.

To the OP - i made one recent move and it sucked. So the first chance i got I moved out. Life's too short. If you dont like where you are at, if you have the money, and you got a job or apartment/home on the other end, just move. Forget trying to enjoy arizona, if it sucks you will continue to be miserable. So, as soon as you can, move back to where you are happy, if you can do it, its your life, and if you dont have kids or family to affect it, get the hell outta Dodge right quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,389,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Well, the OP is miserable and crabby, so she cant help snapping.

To the OP - i made one recent move and it sucked. So the first chance i got I moved out. Life's too short. If you dont like where you are at, if you have the money, and you got a job or apartment/home on the other end, just move. Forget trying to enjoy arizona, if it sucks you will continue to be miserable. So, as soon as you can, move back to where you are happy, if you can do it, its your life, and if you dont have kids or family to affect it, get the hell outta Dodge right quick.
Thanks ChicagoMeO. Good to see someone who has been 'there" and understands. By the way, I'm a he, and I'm usually not "miserable and crabby".

Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,400,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I recently moved from Ohio to Arizona....mainly for the weather. However, after a few weeks here, I'm really having second thoughts. I moved on my own, and I know no one here. Anyone else ever move and then wonder if they made the right decision?

Oh wow that has to suck, good luck.

Last edited by MSPLove; 10-26-2014 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Had a real response, but after reading the thread, I don't care about giving advice to someone who is being so rude

Old 10-26-2014, 07:22 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,400,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Yep. I moved from the Twin Cities, MN to El Paso, TX. I think I realized El Paso wasn't right for me the second or third day after moving! And and all these years later I'm still here and still don't want to be!

I felt the same way about Montana. That place is definitely not for me. And I had a bad attitude going in because my mom moved us there. Eventually I decided "give this a fair chance for the first time in your life." So... I did. And I still didn't like it, still never felt like home. So I moved back... To where you're from.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:47 PM

72 posts, read 75,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
When you move, there is always, always something you have to "give up" in the old place. You can't change without leaving things behind--that's the point of change. However, on paper and philosophically, it's easier to say, harder to live through it. After six or seven major moves, depending on how you count 'em, I can assure you, OP, that moving is a balancing act--getting more of what you want in one place, weighing things, etc. to come up with the right balance.

You have to remember that there was something that drew you to Arizona in the first place, perhaps the same thing that drew me to Arizona, too. Maybe, since you're so new to the state, it would be best to focus on the positive such as what drew you to one of the most ruggedly beautiful states in the US. Moreover, you've only live in Arizona for a few weeks, which is hardly enough time to feel the place out. It's hard to pick up the vibe of a city and/or state after only six weeks of living there, especially a relatively "young" state like Arizona that's still growing exponentially and developing a unique identity of its own.

Also, try to recall why it was you left Ohio in the first place. What was it about Ohio that drove you out--the weather, economy, culture, scenery, etc.? Once you identify and compartmentalize that, you may better appreciate your new home, which will help you move forward in your adjustment.

Even if you can't identify anything you like about Arizona because you've already become bitter towards the state and/or you've made up your mind that your move was a "mistake" and that you're eventually moving back to Ohio, look at what you can derive from your experience in Arizona--something, anything. Then, you're there for a reason. It's better to feel you're there for a reason than no reason at all. Everything in life will teach you a grand lesson, if you can identify and understand the underlying reasons for your "mistake," then you've gained something from the ordeal.

Remember, if given the choice, most people will choose stagnation over change, even potentially positive ones, since change is very threatening to our being. If you move back to Ohio, you're going to be, in effect, choosing stagnation over change, which, in this case, is Arizona. If you arrive at that realization after you've returned to Ohio, then I think returning would prove to be an even bigger mistake in the end than staying in Arizona.

It takes a strong constitution to move and adapt to life in a new, different place. Not saying you don't have that, but I don't think you've given it enough time. As someone who just recently moved back to Southern California in August after living in the Scottsdale area for two years, I can assure that Arizona is an easy place to meet people and make friends because just about everyone is a transplant/newcomer, although it's harder to "keep" those friends, so to speak, since it's such a transient/revolving-door state. Put yourself out there, get involved, strike up conversation and introduce yourself to people everyplace you go, etc. If you do that, you'll make friends, perhaps really good ones, and develop a strong social support network before you know it.

On a final note, and this is Arizona specific--most people in Arizona are very positive and upbeat and aren't particularly drawn to those with a pessimistic attitude or negative energy/aura, common among people from the Northeast and Great Lakes states. People in Arizona also have little tolerance for complaining, too, as people in the West are more likely to internalize conflict than let whatever unfiltered, uncensored thought or complaint that hits the brain come out of the mouth. Just food for thought. My advice for you--avoid complaining and look on the bright side. Try to learn optimism, if you can. Easier said than done, but certainly possible. Best of luck.
I am potentially moving to Scottsdale next month for a job opportunity and as you said, I am stagnant wanting to stay where I am (an hour away from New Orleans in a small city) because, I LOVE my job but I HATE where I am living now. What made you leave Scottsdale after 2 years of living there? What did you like about it? What did you dislike about it?

Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 AM

521 posts, read 730,739 times
I don't regret moving to Hawaii but my husband does. We moved only 18 months ago and have had a sting of random bad things happen since moving here. And even though we were financially stable and had jobs, it still is extremely difficult to get ahead. We went through a lot money purchasing plane tickets back and forth to the mainland for medical reasons that came about after moving here. And since we live in a more secluded area (Kauai north shore), it is difficult to get anything done. And very costly when you finally do. So we are moving back to San Diego in February. I am happy we moved here since it had always been a dream and while it didn't work out, I think I would have regretted not moving here. But my husband sees it as a failure since we will go back worse off financially and health wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues