Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 960 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, got into a discussion the other day about whether I've been living in multiple cities over the past few years or have simply been traveling to them. We also discussed what the difference between the two are. I've heard you need to be somewhere a year, I've heard you've got to sign a lease, and my opinion is whether you're paying to live and working. The past two years for me have been have been as followed:

New Orleans, 4 months: lived in a van for one month, an apartment for three, had a job
Denver, 4 months: crashed on friends' couch for one month, apartment for three, had a job
Wisconsin, 5 months: stayed at home, had job the whole time, obviously was "living" there as it's my home
New Orleans, 4 months: lived in a new apartment for 3.5 months, had job.
Leon, Nicaragua, 1 month: paid a month rate up front, no job.
Quito, Ecuador, 3 months: paid rent, no official job, but needed to sell products online to make income
Tena, Ecuador, 2 months: paid weekly rate, no official job, but needed to work everyday panning for gold to make income.
Libano, Colombia, 2 months: lived for free on a friend's farm, no official job, but worked most days on the farm.

So seven cities in 25 months. Although I didn't have a lease in any of these places, I paid rent and had to work in almost all the cities to make enough money to get by. I also have done next to nothing when it comes to tourist activities in these locations. Based on this, would you say it'd be more accurate to say that I lived in these places or have traveled to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:58 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
To me, a person is traveling if they have a permanent home somewhere else.

Otherwise, wherever you are, that's where you're living.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRyannn View Post
got into a discussion the other day about whether I've been living in multiple cities
over the past few years or have simply been traveling (between) them.
Traveling between.

Quote:
We also discussed what the difference between the two are.
I've heard you need to be somewhere a year, I've heard you've got to sign a lease...
Sounds about right.

Quote:
The past two years for me have been have been as followed:
So seven cities in 25 months.
and my opinion is whether you're paying to live and working.
Nope. Spending time there, even extended time (like 4 months) doesn't count.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times
I say you've been living there. I moved a couple months ago but I believe I live here now and am not just traveling.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:42 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
Some people might call you a transient, a wanderer, a drifter......

Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Did you unwrap the dishes and glassware in each place?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
i think you get to decide what your stay should be labled

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Sounds like you lead a very interesting life, however your living arrangements are defined!

What happens with the Wisconsin home while are you are in these other places? Are you paying rent or mortgage on it while you are elsewhere?

Personally, I think if you are working and paying rent, you are living there, particularly when it's for more than a couple of months. So I guess I might say Nicaragua sounds like it might have been more of a visit, but honestly, I think it's fine for you to define things how you want. You weren't a tourist, so what does that make you?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM

330 posts, read 428,941 times
I would agree it's up to you what you want to call it - do you regret any of the places? are you pretty young? because the older I get, the more I don't want to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues