Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 PM

145 posts, read 866,208 times

Advertisements

Dave,
Thanks for the advice.... it looked great.....
but we're scared of tornados (yes, I know, I'm a chicken). We ruled Nebraska out when we saw that it fell into one of the "high risk" states.

Keep your thoughts coming everyone.... I'm looking into all of them, even those not currently on our list, it is constantly evolving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
Dave,
but we're scared of tornados (yes, I know, I'm a chicken). We ruled Nebraska out when we saw that it fell into one of the "high risk" states.
Don't let that scare you. I bet most people that have lived here 20 years have never seen one. Of all natural disasters (and every area has one kind or another), tornados are the one I would choose - they are so hit & miss - even if you were to have one in the area, chances of something happening to either you or your property are so slim.

Where did you see the "high risk" rating - I'm curious.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 PM

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/repor...lley-image.htm

Do most houses have some sort of extra protection... stronger construction, basements....? Please excuse me if I sound more than a little naive, I am when it comes to this.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:49 PM

It seems Montana will be crossed off the list .... I can't seem to find many job opportunities in the IT field... I'm still trying to find a site for the school districts to see if there are fitting postions there for my honey, but I'm not hopeful. If any one knows the school districts site address, or other IT job sites for MT, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by corel; 12-31-2007 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/repor...lley-image.htm

Do most houses have some sort of extra protection... stronger construction, basements....? Please excuse me if I sound more than a little naive, I am when it comes to this.

Thanks for the link, I'll look at it tomorrow.

No extra construction protection (like you would have with hurricane or earthquake), but almost every home has a basement. The corner of the basement is where you would go and there generally would be plenty of warning if it were to occur. Tornado warning systems in the US are excellent - they are generally very predictable with trained weather radar operators.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:25 PM

"plenty of warning"??? Aren't the warnings just a few minutes before it hits?
By plenty do you mean just enough time to get to a safe area of the house? To receive a warning though don't you need to have a tv or radio on?
Personally I prefer earthquakes, maybe because thats what I grew up with, but usually they are so fast you don't even know it hit til after it's done. "Was that an earthquake?" or "I THINK we just had an earthquake?" are not uncommon things said during and/or after.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
That link you provided does show what is refered to as "tornado alley". Actually every state in the US has had tornados, this is just the traditional area where the weather conditions tend to be right.

Omaha is in the light green (lesser chance) as opposed to the dark green (higher chance).

When I think of "tornado alley" I tend to think of Kansas and Oklahoma and if Nebraska then southwest Nebraska (south of Lincoln onto the Kansas border).

Quote:
"plenty of warning"??? Aren't the warnings just a few minutes before it hits?
By plenty do you mean just enough time to get to a safe area of the house? To receive a warning though don't you need to have a tv or radio on?
Personally I prefer earthquakes, maybe because thats what I grew up with, but usually they are so fast you don't even know it hit til after it's done. "Was that an earthquake?" or "I THINK we just had an earthquake?" are not uncommon things said during and/or after.
The weather signs for a potential tornado are fairly distinct. If there is even a hint that potential that the conditions exists for a tornado then the weather service will issue a tornado WATCH. That puts spotters, public safety and weather service on extra alert. It also tells the public to keep their TV or radio tuned to a local station. If a tornado is actually spotted or its signature is seen on dopler radar then they will issue a tornado WARNING for the affected county.

If there is a tornado WARNING then all television and radio stations do an alert. Civil defense sirens would also go off. Its that alert that would tell you to go to your basement or to an interior room without windows. If you live in a metro area or in town there is lots of warning with the systems that are in place. If you are in a rural area without civil defense sirens and you don't watch the weather and you don't watch tv or you don't listen to the radio then maybe you could be suprised.

Even if you are in a WARNING area where a tornado has been spotted, the odds of being hit are still small. Tornados tend to be a few hundred yards in diameter, last for minutes and primarily cause damage from their extreme winds with the direct hit.

Because of the great warning and tracking systems the number of people killed or injured in tornados is extremly small.

Property damage from both earthquakes and hurricanes tends to be much more widespread and much larger. Even a small earthquake or hurricane can knock things off shelves and break them or cause cracks in drywall/plaster or do small foundation damage. With a tornado even if you are in the area as long as you don't have the direct hit chances are you will loose leaves from your trees, maybe a couple of branches.

While they have been recorded in every month (just like they have been recorded in every state), they tend to come in the spring (Apr-June) so that's the time you hear about them.

Of all natural disasters to live with tornados is the one I would pick. The odds of being affected (either property damage or personal injury/death) are so small compared to earthquake and hurricane. But like you said, I think its what you grow up with and what you are used to.

To me, tornados in the Omaha area and surrounding counties are almost a non-event for me.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Dave,
but ...... We ruled Nebraska out when ......
Just so you don't let the small weather thing override all the other things I did want to share this last item as well. Good luck with your search:

In addition to Papillion (outskirts of Omaha) being named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live by CNN/Money Magazine in 2007, Omaha also is:

a.Omaha was ranked in the top 20 in 2003 for best jobs in the us
b.top 20 here in the us for quality of life
c.#5 according to msnbc.com for raising a baby
d.Study ranks the Omaha metro the #30 funnest metro in america (http://www.bestjobsusa.com/sections/CAN-bestplaces2003/index.asp - broken link)
e.#41 for highest per capita income in the US
f.crime rate if relatively low
g.#7 best big city place to live according to money magazine
h.#15 overal for jobs
h.#32nd in median household income
h.#12th cost of living rank
h.#55 job growth

Forbes Magazine ranked Omaha 15th overall for jobs, 32nd highest in median household income, 17th in unemployment, 12th in cost of living rank 55th in job growth out of all the metros in the nation.

This study one was just released and is the latest it spells out household income vs US Cost of living vs US population of individual counties in Omaha metro and how much they grew by from 2000 to 2006 and projections to 2011. It lays out the job growth here and by what categories... And what to expect in the next year 2007

Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Alright you've convienced me, I did some research on Omaha's tornado history, we'll continue to look into Nebraska. What can you tell me about the weather? Summer highs, Winter lows, etc. Thank you again for sharing all your research.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Alright you've convienced me, I did some research on Omaha's tornado history, we'll continue to look into Nebraska. What can you tell me about the weather? Summer highs, Winter lows, etc. Thank you again for sharing all your research.

Ha... you indicated you wanted 4-seasons and that is what we have. The nice thing about our Winter's is they are not extreme. Yes, it can get cold and yes you will have snow (including a periodic blizzard once a year or so), but then there is relief.

Summers kind of the same way, it can get hot (high 90's and periodic 100) but then there will be relief in the 80's. We do have some humidity in the summer,but not like very high humidity places like Mississippi.

Spring and Fall are beautiful weather.

I love the change of seasons, but also the breaks we get in both summer and winter. I've had several opportunities to move and this was a big reason why.

Take a look at this link: City-Data-Papillion. Scroll 1/2 way down the page and you will see great graphs for the average weather by month. Shows Temp, Humidity, Wind, Percipation, Sun vs Cloudy days. This is City-Data's page for zip code 68046 which is the southern boundary of the Omaha metro area and about 45 miles north of Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues