Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 05:15 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

^ Thanks for leaving Texas. The state is much better off, based on the sentiments and attitude expressed above (all the Texas and south-bashing).

Old 04-06-2021, 05:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ Thanks for leaving Texas. The state is much better off, based on the sentiments and attitude expressed above (all the Texas and south-bashing).
I was thinking the same thing lol. The poster may believe they wrote something else, but all I read is, “The people in Texas actually thought for themselves and used their brains rather than believing the absolute nonsense that the so-called ‘experts’ have flip flopped on repeatedly all pandemic long, and I hate it that Texans are independent and value liberty instead of the collectivist communism that I’d prefer.” I’d go further than just Texas, if you don’t get the concept that this is NOT a collectivist country and your health is NOT my problem, won’t ever be my problem, and I don’t care whatsoever about it, then you should move to a country more suited to your ant-like mentality. I’m sick and tired of idiots telling me all this nonsense about “community.” You do what’s best for for you, I’ll do what’s best for me, and let’s leave it at that.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
Grew up in the South, then lived abroad and in Nevada and California. I left the South with mixed feelings, but then was generally happier outside of the South.

Moved then to Texas (Houston) because I thought it'd be a sort of nice "intersection" of cosmopolitan Southern California and the South. Instead, I HATED Texas and was quickly reminded of the reasons why I left the South in the first place.

Texas is a self-over-glorified pancake of a state with generally unremarkable scenery and terrible weather; and, like in the rest of the South, Southern "hospitality" is generally a farce. Sure, Southerners are a little warmer than Midwesterners and Northeasterners generally are, but they can still be aloof, cliquish, standoffish, and just not very community-minded. I missed the higher quality of life and generally better sense of community I experienced outside of the South. The insane selfishness of Texans and Southerners during the pandemic (worse than Americans generally, already were) was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

I moved to Utah recently and couldn't be happier! Granted, I'm eyeing another move abroad at some point (longer term) because I think the US' glory days are over. But at this stage of my life, I LOVE being a Utahn! I've been treated with kindness and politeness here, almost universally; a relatively rare occurrence in Texas.
Let's hope you will find your forever home.
None of what you experienced in The South and Texas happened to me and I am an immigrant.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:41 PM

515 posts, read 623,832 times
[quote=ykcawtsrif;60751312

Texas is a self-over-glorified pancake of a state with generally unremarkable scenery and terrible weather;.[/QUOTE]

True, although, the people are solid. However, if it turns into a blue state wild horses couldn't drag me there.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
I thought enough for myself to leave the hive mentality that is the conservative movement and the Republican Party, and to understand that communities can be instrumental in stopping community spread and that the science is evolving during a freakin' pandemic.

You're right. You do you, and I'll do me - typically. But, the premise of, "I'm not hurting anyone, so what does it matter?" is why more than 500,000 Americans have died during the pandemic, when that figure should have been 100,000-200,000 instead (and, much preferably, even less).

Sorry, not sorry. For the first time in my life, I wanted to be way away from the United States at various times during this pandemic (and I'm a guy who has lived abroad and been homesick at various times). Other countries have proven that they understand that tightening freedoms temporarily, means a return to real freedom sooner. Cases in point: Australia, New Zealand and Singapore.
Yeah those countries all suck and have handled the pandemic terribly. It’s not worth giving up a single ounce of freedom for the sniffles. Stop spreading blatant lies by the way - 550K people didn’t die OF Coronavirus, read the CDC rules on classifying Coronavirus deaths. They either died with it or were suspected of having had it, that’s it. And not a single death above 80 should be counted whatsoever in ANY of those statistics. These people died of OLD AGE. A strong wind could have killed them, that’s a fact. They had on average 2.6 underlying medical conditions and the average age of death in every country of the world is at or above the life expectancy for that country. It’s a complete and utter lie - and the data proves this beyond any doubt or protest - that many people “died before their time.” This was their time. It’s literally the definition of natural causes - a virus that occurs naturally contributed to their demise in some fashion, presumably, but even that’s not true much of the time.

Not a single business should have been at reduced capacity, not a single mandate should have ever went into effect, and life should have went on as normal except for telling old people to stay home until there’s a vaccine that the rest of us don’t need. We’re talking a virus that even in the most unhealthy country in the world has a fatality rate of 0.25%. In countries without so many “plus sized” people, like Singapore as you cite, the fatality rate is 0.05%. Thats 30 people out of 60,000+ who were tested as infected, so that’s not even the IFR that’s the CFR! For the vast majority of people the virus isn’t even as severe as the flu. In fact, about half of people *don’t even know they have it* because it’s that minor. So no, there is no excuse or justification for making everyone stay home and wear pointless masks that 40 years of peer reviewed research proved are totally ineffective against airborne respiratory viruses. If you die of the sniffles, it was your time to go.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:59 PM

104 posts, read 106,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
True, although, the people are solid. However, if it turns into a blue state wild horses couldn't drag me there.
Then you had better saddle up... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.