Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM

77 posts, read 117,529 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any stories of how they melted down emotionally while moving or preparing for a move?

This is my first big move and I'm kinda freakin' out. Would love to hear how I'm not alone.

I'm not scared of living somewhere else, it's just the logistics/organizational aspect that is short-circuiting my brain. I'm trying to eat well, get rest, take breaks, etc. It's just a bit much.

So lay it on me! I want to read about your nervous breakdowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Mine hit me in the middle of one moving day, which I entered under the mistaken impression that I would pack stuff like cabinet contents while the movers took out all our furniture.

Of course, the movers were VERY quick and efficient and had the furniture out pretty quickly, so we scrambled to keep up and called in nearby family to help. I had a meltdown when I walked into my master bathroom and found my brother-in-law sweeping everything from my bathroom cabinets and drawers into laundry baskets.

Lesson learned!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
6 years ago we decided to move from SC to WI, middle of Jan was the timing. Had a 26' uhaul, an suv (our car was transported down) and a boat. The wife offered to pull the boat as she didnt want to drive the truck (more on this later lol). Though she had little experience with pulling a trailer, she did quite well on the 1st leg of the journey which had us stop in Louisville for the night. Said she only made a couple "special friends" along the way, you know, the ones on the hiway who point at you and say you are #1?
Well, we get into a hotel parking lot, and find out they wont take our dog in for the night but one next door should. I moved the boat around and asked her if she could just pull the truck forward. She climbed in, kinda shrieked that it was too big and cried.
Well we made it to SC the next day and to our new home, and now looking back can laugh at those special moving moments we had. But she wasnt laughing that night.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni650 View Post
Does anyone have any stories of how they melted down emotionally while moving or preparing for a move?
I'm trying not to, lol. My Dh and I just picked up the 26 foot truck this morning. Plan on packing up today and finishing tomorrow. He will tow our trailer with the lawnmower on the U-haul. I get the 26 foot RV towing a Jeep. Oh joy. Can't wait for Monday to be here

I'm trying to stay calm but underneath I am extremely stressed. This will likely be my last time online until we get to the other end.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM

77 posts, read 117,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Said she only made a couple "special friends" along the way, you know, the ones on the hiway who point at you and say you are #1?
This made my day!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
My meltdown came when the moving guy was in what used to be OUR apartment. He was giving me a price on moving MY stuff out. I had a strange man standing in the living room consoling me. It sucked royally, but from that moment on, I knew that there ARE folks who care about others - even if they are strangers.

Strangers are only strangers until you make friends with them.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
I have one every 3-4 years because my husband is in the military and that forces us to relocate frequently; and I'm a realtor so you'd think I'd be over this craziness! But nope, every few years I lose it And just once I'd like to get on a plane, or drive away from the house and not cry like a nutcase. My advice for dealing with the day to day stuff; make lists. LOTS of lists. The better organized, the less stressed you'll feel. A bottle of wine can't hurt either! Best wishes for a happy move.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
yeah! one time when i moved, I called and made an appointment with a professional mover. then a couple weeks later, i was out and met some people and they asked me if i could use their friend who needed the money and he'd be really good and I'd be doing my Christian duty helping a guy out, so i thought ok i will help the little guy. so i cancelled my move with the pros. Anyway, the guy came to my house a week before the move saying he wanted a deposit to get the truck, so i gave him $200.

Now, he previously came to my house to see my stuff to see how big a truck he would need. he came the 2nd time to get the $200 and he says "where's all your stuff" . he said this because i had moved my tv, computer and the expensive stuff on my own, and he noticed these things missing. So on moving day, it turns out this guy was supposed to come 9:00 wednesday, he did not come. He did not show up, and i was frantic. after some calls, i found out he got fired from his moving company job a week ago, and he went off and ripped me off. I called the police and they tracked him down at his work at a store nearby. the police say to say goodbye to my deposit because he lives at the housing project and even if they arrested him, i'd never see my money. so frantically because i had my stuff packed and the elevator reserved in the new apartment, i was frantic. so i called these guys that recommended him and they were not aware this guy was a crook, so they all came to my house and moved me themselves.

I am glad that I did not use this guy because he most likely would have driven off with ALL my stuff and i'd be out more than $200. I will never ever use a guy who is not with a professional moving company like this anymore. I'm so glad that i only lost $200 rather than a whole apartment full of stuff. Be careful about using these lone people that advertise that they are a mover.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I've had a few weird things happen in regard to moving besides my story above. I hired professional movers and so i sat on a lawn chair outside the truck to watch it while the movers were unloading my apartment. there were a few homeless people walking by, one dude actually walked up to the sidewalk by the truck, peeked in, and was like looking around. what did he think this was? so the one mover came out and hollered really loud "GET THE F AWAY FROM THE TRUCK." He said because sometimes people do that and then on purpose fall so they could sue the company for getting injured. Anyway the guy peeking in the truck was asking me for "a few dollars to help me out".. so i had all my tip money on me, and i was feeling generous so i said yeah ok i can give you a few dollars. so when the mover screamed at him, he ran away, so the moving guy says he dont give that guy any money - he uses it for drugs. so then i thought oh yeah i shoudln't feel sorry for him. so when the guy came back he said "hey you got that money for me?" and i said to him, ummm no i dont think i want to give it to you, and he started really hassling me for the money - just a few dollars. that guy was a real trip.

another time, i was taking valuable time helping some friends from church to move. they had about 8 people helping them move. well when i got to their house, they had not packed everything, so we were spending time, taking all these miscellaneous things and putting it in boxes rather than her being organized and us using the time to actually help her move. and i was so hot August too.. i was sweating. we had to go down in her dark dank spooky basement which was like not finished or something, it was disgusting. but she didn't pack that, she had others do that.. finally i could not take it, so i left early. that place was like a big mess and she did not even care to pack before we got there to help her move. that was pretty rude and unorganized.

Moving guys tell me that people often do not pack and be read for them when they come. its like they dont click on their hea to have everything ready. so this is why if you have a move in the middle of the day or the end of the day, you are delayed because of idiots who are not ready when the movers come and they make them think they are ready, but they are not.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
While trying to downsize from a 4 acre ranchette in MS with 4 horses and 4 dogs to a trailer park in CT that doesn't allow dogs.... my yankee boyfriend came down to help with the last little bit of "should I keep this?" and he started tossing out .... stuff. It was just stuff but it was MY stuff. I only took what would fit in a horse trailer (and I'm talking a 2 horse, bumper pull). (without the horses) At one point I had a meltdown but I knew if it was going to get done, that was the only way. After 8 months in CT and a job offer in Hawaii, the contents of that horse trailer meant NOTHING! We had a giant sale and sold everything including all the vehicles, the trailer-home, all but what would fit into about 4 plastic tubs (pictures/documents) to store at his brother's house. I did gift my favorite lamp and .... colander to his SIL but she gave it back to me when I returned from HI.

Okay, moving from HI to GA, we sold everything AGAIN (we were good at it by then) and the move consisted of 2 suitcases each, a dog kennel in cargo and cat and dog carry-ons. THAT was only slightly stressful to the tune of WHINING the whole way by my little spoiled dog who seems immune to Benadryl.

Feel better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues