Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM

676 posts, read 936,740 times

Advertisements

How do you really get rid of all the stuff you don't want to take but the items are worth something that the money could be used for gas, etc. Craig's List, have a moving auction if there is such a thing, put up fliers for a moving sale. What do I do with the things I want to keep though, put everything in one room that is off limits ? What is the quickest way ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Price items realistically, stuff will sell its self if priced right. Put it on Facebook with photos and prices for friends first, then let people you work with know that there is stuff they might be able to use cheap! Finally call Salvation Army or Goodwill and donate the remainder of what you don't want to move. Fast and easy.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
Thank you...Sounds like you've been there before......

Old 10-17-2014, 02:59 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
my wife sold some stuff on facebook sale pages in our area before we moved back to WI, actually had decent luck both down in SC as well as up here on other items. You should be able to find the sale page for your town, and then branch out further if needed

Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
I highly recommend having a yard or garage sale. We had a lot of things to get rid of before we moved cross country.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
We sold everything in Facebook. We priced everything to sell, and it would sell in less then an hour. Friends were mad because we priced stuff too low in their opinion. I loved it, everything sold, extra cash and easy!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
I wish I wasn't but I am in fact a seasoned moving pro (moved about 20 times total - whole households most of the moves).

You actually need to just let go of the stuff you are talking about; since you are already in the packing phase, from experience I can tell you that you will end up putting so much time and energy trying to maneuver around and then "sell" the stuff you don't want to part with "without some money" that it won't be worth it.

If something really has enough value to you, and you know in the inside what it is, pack it up and take it with you. The other stuff, offer to your friends and family for free so they take it right away and you aren't stuck trying to move around piles of that crap nor trying to deal with "buyers/negotiators" etc. Your friends and family members who receive these items will be thrilled and appreciative.

Seriously, I know this is hard for some to swallow, but when you move you simply have to purge and accept that you have tough choices to make: 1) pay to move what may essentially be thrown out later, 2) give away stuff to make moving much easier and accept the losses, or 3) pay to move items likely to remain packed up for quite a while because you intend to eventually sell them (an eventuality which may or may not happen).

Four years ago I spent way too much energy and money and time moving my partner out of a ridiculously large home completely full of furniture, nicknacks, tools, clothing, etc. I knew it was insane and had the experience to know much better. I would estimate that at least half of the boxes were full of items not worth moving that didn't make the new home better (just filled the attic, basement, and every space in-between). I kept hearing her at the time of packing talk about how valuable this was or that was, and it was a farce. What I should have recognized was the truth - that this woman hadn't moved much in her life and assigned value to items that really had no merit at all. It's all too easy to form such attachment to junk and to justify by quoting how much something originally cost.

Thus you have what I recommended above - purge is the appropriate word. When moving don't waste your hard earned money or savings (or time to unpack later) by trying to make a last-minute buck or two off possessions that really don't matter. Give those things you plan to leave behind away to people who will appreciate them.... and move on.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I wish I wasn't but I am in fact a seasoned moving pro (moved about 20 times total - whole households most of the moves).

You actually need to just let go of the stuff you are talking about; since you are already in the packing phase, from experience I can tell you that you will end up putting so much time and energy trying to maneuver around and then "sell" the stuff you don't want to part with "without some money" that it won't be worth it.

If something really has enough value to you, and you know in the inside what it is, pack it up and take it with you. The other stuff, offer to your friends and family for free so they take it right away and you aren't stuck trying to move around piles of that crap nor trying to deal with "buyers/negotiators" etc. Your friends and family members who receive these items will be thrilled and appreciative.

Seriously, I know this is hard for some to swallow, but when you move you simply have to purge and accept that you have tough choices to make: 1) pay to move what may essentially be thrown out later, 2) give away stuff to make moving much easier and accept the losses, or 3) pay to move items likely to remain packed up for quite a while because you intend to eventually sell them (an eventuality which may or may not happen).

Four years ago I spent way too much energy and money and time moving my partner out of a ridiculously large home completely full of furniture, nicknacks, tools, clothing, etc. I knew it was insane and had the experience to know much better. I would estimate that at least half of the boxes were full of items not worth moving that didn't make the new home better (just filled the attic, basement, and every space in-between). I kept hearing her at the time of packing talk about how valuable this was or that was, and it was a farce. What I should have recognized was the truth - that this woman hadn't moved much in her life and assigned value to items that really had no merit at all. It's all too easy to form such attachment to junk and to justify by quoting how much something originally cost.

Thus you have what I recommended above - purge is the appropriate word. When moving don't waste your hard earned money or savings (or time to unpack later) by trying to make a last-minute buck or two off possessions that really don't matter. Give those things you plan to leave behind away to people who will appreciate them.... and move on.
I am sitting here trying to recover from about the 10th grueling day in a row of getting the stuff packed and the house cleaned. The movers are coming tomorrow, thank goodness. At least it will all be over. I am exhausted, achy, and sick of all the mess. You are exactly right....I started this process in May, when we put our house on the market. I purged, then purged, then purged some more. And yet the closer the move got, the easier it was to turn loose and let the sentimentality go. I have given away items I've had for over 35 years. I gave away items I thought I could never part with. The lady at the Goodwill store recognizes me and asks how my move is going! Even this week, I found that some formerly precious items could go in the trash!

It probably won't be worth the effort to try and make a little money off the items. Bite the bullet, get rid of them, and it will save you money by making the move less expensive because you have less stuff.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
We just moved 800 miles from my home state of Texas.
it was much lighter due to selling on Craigslist.
We made 1000.00 to offset some expenses.
Sold 2bedroom sets, 2 futons, generator, living room set.
Best thing we ever did.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
I have done different things with different moves. When my work paid for the pack and move, everything was moved, then we went through it as we unpacked. Time was the important thing then--2 weeks to pack and find a new house to live in, so they packed, I got a 5 day house hunting trip, then returned to my packed home for the loading of the moving van then I left, kids and pets in tow to report to work. In those 2 cases there was no time to sort. Everything was slowly unpacked and sorted on the moved end.

When I have planned the move with months to prepare, I go through things and purge--sell on Facebook, give toys to friends with younger kids, and the rest goes to goodwill, etc. When my 2 daughters moved out of my home to live on their own, I took 2 U-Haul loads of furniture and things to Goodwill. They loved me that day. And the third U-Haul load was of my stuff I actually moved to my new home. That was a great move to unpack No junk on the moved end.

I am hoping that my next move will be like that one as I am already purging stuff from my packrat kids and house. (Yes, at age 11 they finally agreed this week to let go of their hoard of Elmos---18 of them in the electronic and stuffed form! and 32 dvd/vcr tapes of them! Well, all but 2 Elmos which they will not get rid of--Rock 'n Roll Elmos are staying for now.) So I have 2 years until I hope to completely move from this house, and am making slow progress. This week we are packing a rat pack to take to our future retirement home, which we will use as a vacation home for the next 2 years. We are selecting the best of the furniture and things to move, and keeping the lower quality things here so that when we are ready to move it will be one Goodwill trip after another until it is gone...and maybe just a 1800-Ratpack or ABS or U-Haul for the clothes, kitchen stuff, and daily use items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues