Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM

148 posts, read 182,981 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as a useless degree. It shows a level of education and commitment regardless of the major. What skills did you develop there? Focus on how you can sell that and how these can be used in whatever job you are applying for.

Team skills
Time management
Leadership skills,
Analytical skills etc etc.
Ability to think creatively

Last edited by GAtoFL; 10-21-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
I don't want a typical 9-5 office job. Never did. I want to eventually be a self employed working artist. Working 9-5 won 't leave me enough room to do what I love, as I experienced having a full schedule in college. Or maybe I just don't want to live a conventional lifestyle.

My question is is 4k enough to start in a relatively big city, living with a roommate or two? In terms of jobs, I'm more concerned with paying the bills. I have little experience, but do I even need to worry about that in a bigger city with more opportunities, as well as a more liberal and accepting mindset?

I really gotta move out. Especially after spending significant stretches of time in places like LA in the past year. I don't even know if I would be willing to commit more than a few months to working here. I would end up saving up a grand or two and fleeing.

And yes, I realize my degree isn't useless per se, but certainly it is for my ambitions and the lifestyle I wish to lead. I guess it could be a fallback plan but I have already decided I'd rather die than be an office drone. I have some dignity...

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 10-21-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 07:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
My question is is 4k enough to start in a relatively big city, living with a roommate or two?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
I have already decided I'd rather die than be an office drone. I have some dignity...
Dignity won't feed you.

You'll get over that as soon as you're TRULY broke, which, not actually having been independent, you have not even come close to feeling yet.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
You sound like someone I love and know very well. He, too, is an artist (4-year film degree from an art college) and a musician. He struggles with exactly what you've described--except that he lives in a biggish city. It was only when he was feeling sufficiently stifled and fed up with living at home with his parents that he found it in himself to change his situation. The others here have given you excellent advise. Attitude is everything (and dignity doesn't put food on the table). I agree that 4K isn't enough to up & move to a new city if you'll be alone. However, if you know someone you can trust---it could work. I left home at 18 to go to California with $25 in my pocket---but my sister lived there. She helped me get a foothold.

Think this through very carefully, ok? I am a big proponent of taking risks like this---so maybe it will be just fine. No one knows but you, dear. These are the most exciting times of your life---make it work, get creative (you're an artist--that should be easy for you!)

P.S. Some big cities have natural food co-ops with work programs for people who want to work in the store a few hours a week in exchange for food. Just one idea to cover the feeding yourself thingy.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
I'd suggest you stay where you are and use your degree and skills to develop your ability to communicate and do better on interviews later and build a resume. $4k is not going to keep you fed, you will truly be a starving homeless artist in a few months. Also sounds like you may need to mature and learn to work for what you want and learn responsibility and patience (not trying to be mean, just saying).

Try giving art lessons to the local kids. Maybe get started by volunteering at school, day care or after school programs and have a flyer that you give private and small group lessons for XX an hour, or month long sessions. If you can drive to a museum, maybe you can work on displays or art restoration, etc. as a volunteer, getting the experience you may be able to use for a job in a bigger city later. Use that volunteer experience to build a resume to do displays at local stores as a job. I have a friend who is an artist and he spends a lot of time painting store windows for the various holidays through our the year. That pays the bills and gives him time to do the art he loves around that self made schedule. Can you paint store windows and clean them up for the holidays? Can you do murals in homes? Lots of people like a blue sky with clouds for kid's room ceiling, or a cartoon/animal mural on the walls. Hand out flyers showing your talent.

The general idea is to figure out how to get experience with what you love in the small town where they love and accept you and develop the ability to present yourself in a manner that you are employable. When you get to the big city the competition is much more and only the best survive in the arts fields

You will be able to move to the big cities when 1. you can communicate and present yourself in an employable manner and 2. you have the work experience to present a resume showing your skills and experience and knowledge in the field you want to work in and 3. you have at least 6 months of living expenses at the cost rate of the big city without depending on public assistance/SNAP/welfare/couches of your new friends.

And please remember I am trying to be constructive, not mean.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Is there a way you could video art lessons and put them online for pay, on such sites as craftsy or creative live, or udemy?

No offense but I work 10 hours a day and also make side money doing 3 other things I love.

I didn't have the guts to give up my day job lol.

Just remember, Einstein had a day job too. And Matisse was a banker, wasn't he? An office drone for sure.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM

427 posts, read 500,175 times
Matisse quit his office job so he could focus on his creative work. I know his life well.

I really can't see myself ever getting an office job because I don't have the math skills/leadership skills/or a personality that would translate well to a corporate setting. I want to focus my ambitions on what I am good at. They say some people have to "work 80 hours a week, so they don't have to work for someone else 40 hours a week." I will have to work for someone else for the time being, so I'd ideally want something flexible. I have nothing against office work but I want something with greater flexibility, lower responsibility, and a low learning curve. I don't want to sabotage my chances of success by taking unrelated full time work.

I live in a metro area of about 400,000 so it could be worse, from a population standpoint. Unfortunately the area is also not especially arts oriented, but there is definitely some activity going on if you look for it. There is also a university town about 45 minutes away, so there are opportunities in the greater region. I guess I just want to live my dreams "now," and go to a cultured big city where I feel like I have a greater chance to build the life for myself that I want to live, but I have yet to earn that privilege.

I thank you all for your advice. I do agree with the assessment that I might not be ready, but I also don't want to live in this area forever and believe taking risks is the only way to develop.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 10-22-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 12:03 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Ok. Do you want to work? Are you willing to get up at Zero Dark Thirty work hard all day, go to bd tired, and do it again?

Houston is booming and needs people willing to work. Go get a job and get your head straight. Cost of living in Houston is lower than the northeast, etc, and there is a beach, although not Florida beaches.
I lived in The Woodlands (near Houston) and you are right! It is booming! As far as beaches go I went down to the Moody Gardens for fun!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:21 AM

404 posts, read 826,804 times
You are young. Do not stand still. You are looking down the barrel of an entry level job no matter where you live, it will be all the more soul sucking to work it in the small town. Work the entry level job in the city (I am thinking coffeehouse barista, art supply retail, bookshop, etc.) get roommates. $4k is fine for a move to a decent sized midwestern city with an art scene, keep your share of rent and utlitities to less than $500/mo, eat rice and beans and get a job. If you want a bigger city save up for it from the mid-sized city that has enough going on to fuel you creatively, rather than sitting depressed and saving up in the small town.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Cryinbaby: A few thoughts as I read through your post:

1. I think you have enough of an issue with depression that you ought to try and get some treatment for it. If you can't afford treatment, look up your local county mental health offices. Treatment should be able at low cost.

2. I think the suggestions about moving to a place like Houston and taking any job you can are wonderful suggestions. You have to get your foot in the door somewhere. I'd also take a look at North Dakota where the oil boom is going on. Plenty of jobs there, although housing is in short supply.

3. In the spring, maybe you should check out summer jobs in a place like Alaska. I think the experience would help you build some self-confidence. Working in a fish cannery maybe unpleasant work, but it does pay well and you could save some money. You do have to be willing to get your hands dirty though. Some people say they want a job, but aren't willing to make that kind of sacrifice.

You have two problems and there are both of about equal weight. It is true that you lack job skills. However, it distresses me that you act like things are so hopeless. Real life is challenging, but never hopeless.

A healthy, young, and single person has many options that others do not have. You can move anywhere. You only need to earn enough money to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly.

I wish you the best of luck.

The economy is slowly picking up. This is not a bad time to be doing any of the things that have been suggested to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues