Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM

660 posts, read 1,006,880 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving next year and, while I am selling many of my things (about 80%), I do want to take some small pieces of furniture, as well as a lot of personal belongings and artwork with me. I looked into PODS and Door2Door (D2D) and they are pretty expensive in my opinion ($1400-1900). I found U-Box (through UHaul) and their quote was about $800 door to door from Buffalo, NY to Durham, NC (no storage, just the box and transport). This would be perfect! Even if I rented a small U-Haul van, the base cost with milage is about $500, and then there is gas, and I'd still need to get my car down there somehow. Note that I drive a SmartCar, so hauling ability and room are both minimal.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with U-Box or other recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:36 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Look into and get quotes from:

ABF U-Pack Relocubes http://www.upack.com/moving-services...ainer-size.asp

ODF OD Household Services - Home Moving Companies: Get a Free Estimate

Are your pickup and dropoff locations OK with a pod/box/cube/trailer being parked on street or driveway ?

I did a 2000 mile move with U-Pack. Was $1900 mid-summer. Excellent service.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks -- my guess is that they will be too pricey -- but I will look into both!

I really only need a "box" the size of a cargo van at most. My pick-up location is fine, but my drop off location is unknown at this point (I'm not moving until April, 2015).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Look into and get quotes from:

ABF U-Pack Relocubes http://www.upack.com/moving-services...ainer-size.asp

ODF OD Household Services - Home Moving Companies: Get a Free Estimate

Are your pickup and dropoff locations OK with a pod/box/cube/trailer being parked on street or driveway ?

I did a 2000 mile move with U-Pack. Was $1900 mid-summer. Excellent service.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,580,124 times
Since I work for UHaul, I feel I should warn you that rates are always subject to change based on supply and demand. I always recommend locking in a rate to protect yourself from it possibly going up. If rates happen to go down after you're locked in, we will adjust you down, but we will never let your rate go higher.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Default Gracias!

Thanks for the tip poodlestix. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Since I work for UHaul, I feel I should warn you that rates are always subject to change based on supply and demand. I always recommend locking in a rate to protect yourself from it possibly going up. If rates happen to go down after you're locked in, we will adjust you down, but we will never let your rate go higher.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
IVAN THE TERRIBLE Moved from Enola, Pennsylvania with the assumption in mind of all the bad comment posted on the internet. I was amazed with an outstanding service that change my mind into the future. No broken items, fast deliver from the house to new residence in Bowling Green, KY within 4 days of leaving the original residence to the new location. Experienced driver that managed to park the 28' trailer into tight spots. Courtesy and promptitude on informing us and cooperating with the delivering and picking up the load. My wife and my self were very skeptical in the beginning to try them up, but I left to Jehovah God and Jesus and it was the smoothest, outstanding and best experience that we ever had in moving. I am planning to uses them up again pretty soon. I will say I am a happy and very satisfy customer.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:14 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan The Terrible View Post
IVAN THE TERRIBLE Moved from Enola, Pennsylvania with the assumption in mind of all the bad comment posted on the internet. I was amazed with an outstanding service that change my mind into the future. No broken items, fast deliver from the house to new residence in Bowling Green, KY within 4 days of leaving the original residence to the new location. Experienced driver that managed to park the 28' trailer into tight spots. Courtesy and promptitude on informing us and cooperating with the delivering and picking up the load. My wife and my self were very skeptical in the beginning to try them up, but I left to Jehovah God and Jesus and it was the smoothest, outstanding and best experience that we ever had in moving. I am planning to uses them up again pretty soon. I will say I am a happy and very satisfy customer.

Awh, nice post Mr. Terrible, but please tell, who did provide you with such fine service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues