Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,464,706 times

Advertisements

I am still in grad school, and all my moves so far have been in the summer. I am single and don't have a huge amount of stuff to move, so it's fairly straightforward for me to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 03:39 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,673,800 times
Lets just talk about extreme weather, OK? From the North East, going West, one has to be careful about winter storms, as far South as Kansas and on West, as a rule. However, these storms are well-tracked and advertised on the national media. I've driven from Mpls to Denver, twice, through them and made it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Crossing the Rockies, the CA mtns., and Cascade mountains in the winter can also be a problem and one that is harder to forecast, due to the elevation difference between mountain passes and large urban centers on either side of the mountains.

Tornado belt in Tornado season. This mainly involves E-W travel through TN, AR, OK and TX, also KA and MO. When I last traveled from Memphis to the Bay Area, it was Tornado weather. But we stayed on the TV in Memphis and decided to make a late night dash through AR. It was raining like the dickens along the route. We passed South and a few hours of a major tornado that hit just North of Little Rock.

Pacific Coastal Storms can generated lots of rain all the way up the West Coast, but they generally don't go very far inland.

Uprooting a family is hard enough without taking weather chances. The risk of getting caught in a storm is lot, lot lower than the risk of "homesickness". But the latter rarely ends in death. Take ordinary weather precautions, and you will only have to deal with the homesickness.

Best time to travel from anywhere to anywhere, extreme weather-wise, probably early summer or fall.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,088,828 times
My moves have been in the summer. The big thing I took away from my last move, declutter before you move. You can replace things. Just declutter and save yourself the burden of becoming a hoarder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues